She didnt just take off and not come back. The file is the largest in GBI history, which means that the discovery process of copying, compiling, reviewing, and interpreting everything in it could take months or even years. Thanks to Up and Vanished and the team at Tenderfoot TV, Kasha will have a $30k trust fund to use for living expenses, healthcare, college, or whatever her heart desires when the time is right. The podcast recreated the atmosphere, and it began to feel again like it must have felt immediately after Taras disappearance: everywhere you go, someone is talking about it. We investigate the true story of the Atlanta child murders. "There's a lot of stuff that didn't even make it into the last episode that has been happening just in the past few weeks, even yesterday and today." So it created a pressure cooker environment that eventually blew open.. We are grateful for their contributions and daily collaboration. Shortly after his twelfth episode, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation arrested a man named Ryan Alexander Duke But how did Payne and his team actually do it? In his new limited series, investigative podcast host, Payne Lindsey (Up and Vanished, Atlanta Monster), aims to separate fact from fiction when it comes to UFO sightings, and the strange happenings w.Show More. All rights reserved. "Tell the other roommate and brother she's on your land. Though Lindsey couldn't dive into what exactly that "stuff" entails, he seemed confident in the progress being made by the authorities. Each Arkansas arrest record reveals an arrestee's identity and details about the incident leading up to an arrest. And Payne was right in the middle of it. Up and Vanished is produced by Tenderfoot TV, a story-driven media company based at Industrious at Ponce City Market, in Atlanta, Georgia. It didnt deter me from trying any harder.. After learning about Kristal Reisinger, read about Lauren Dumolo, the young mother who went missing from her Florida neighborhood. I would hazard a guess that theyd be willing to wait a little longer if thats what it takes to get it. Paynes investigation reignited a fervor that lay dormant for twelve years. (Sources later disputed this in interviews with Payneon the podcast.). The team respond when several incarcerated Neuros revolt and launch a prison break. For her to be gone this long is unusual, so that heightens the chances of foul play being involved. Theres no science to it. Transition. So if we want the truth about what happened to Tara, its up to me, you, the public, true crime fans, even the podcast to demand those answers. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Albright has spent the last 20 years working on a variety of entertainment projects with notable artists including, Jay-Z, OutKast, Usher, DJ Khaled, and many more. This documentary attempts to separate fact from conspiracy theories to get to the truth. There was also talk of the police looking for someone around the same age as Duke, someone who may have acted as an accomplice, a "white rabbit"Payne seemed on the verge of catching. In 2018, Payne Lindsey tackled Reisinger's disappearance in the second season of his hit podcast Up and Vanished, and now the Oxygen series of the same name has returned to Crestone to seek. "A few days ago, an individual came forward and reported that they had information into Tara's disappearance. Payne Lindsey: She described to me the last time she had seen Tara, just a week before she went missing. [2][3][4][5], Lindsey was born and raised in Kennesaw, Georgia. I saw [Ocilla Police Chief] Billy Hancock sitting outside. Language links are at the top of the page across from the title. . 97) of John F. Keenan, Michael O. Moore, Michael D. Brady, James B. Eldridge and other members of the General Court for legislation to ensure equal access to medical treatments essential for people with a developmental disability, intellectual disability, or autism. Are you OK? She said, I dont really want to talk about it, but I went to a party and Im pretty sure that I was drugged and raped.'. "Please know that you have had an impact, a significant role in this investigation and I am confident that today we have reached the point where we are in this investigation because of that involvement. "The problem with this case is pretty clear, secrecy and silence," Payne said in episode 22. It's the same story he would later tell police. "Like a lot of people, I was pretty obsessed with the podcast Serial and the Netflix series Making a Murderer," Payne Lindsey admitted in the opening minute of the very first episode of his podcast Up and Vanished, released on August 7, 2016. SD.2101. The grandson of a former state representative (Newt Hudson) and another former student of Tara's, Bo's family happened to own a pecan grove in Fitzgerald, the very orchard that was at the center of the town's gossip years ago in connection to the case. The police suspected foul play but no one was ever charged. She didn't know any names, she said,because theyare "pretty good at hiding who they are. [7] With an early interest in investigative journalism, Lindsey was inspired to investigate the disappearance of beauty queen and school teacher Tara Grinstead,[9] a well-known cold case in Georgia. Payne suppressed the urge to celebrate and, with great effort, remained skeptical. Kristal Reisinger disappeared in a town of fewer than 150 people. [7] A second season of Up and Vanished covered the disappearance of Kristal Reisinger. (E! Even if there were so many doubts Payne still had, his real-time search had some to a standstill. As Payne Lindseys younger brother, Mason Lindsey experienced the Up and Vanished investigation from the beginning. Nancy Redman: I looked out the window and I saw her standing out in my yard, and so I went out to see her, "Hi, Tara." His response? I barely knew her. But not long after she vanished, he left town after destroying his computers and bleaching his entire house. Keenan also told Lindsey that Dready Brian Otten, an acquaintance of his and the man Reisinger had dated before Peloquin, admitted to killing Reisinger in a Facebook message but he oddly refused to share the message with Lindsey. In a 2017 interview with Entertainment Weekly, Payne laid out his lingering questions in Tara's case and Ryan and Bo's roles in her murder: "Are the charges that are laid against them the right charges? [8], In December 2015, Netflix released Making a Murderer. . Otten died from a heroin overdose on May 16, 2020, so no one will ever hear his side of the story. After twelve years with no new evidence, no leads, no eyewitnesses, the perpetrator who took Tara must have been confident that he had gotten away with it. "I think there's something about an unsolved case that intrigues everyone, this urge to solve the puzzle and reveal the truth," he said. Up and Vanished premieres Sunday, November 18, at 7 p.m. on Oxygen. Up and Vanished is based on the hit investigative podcast of the same name with over 340 million downloads and focuses on new cases of missing individuals, as Payne Lindsey and his team of investigative podcasters search for answers to help the victims' families gain a sense of closure. Then I became one of hundreds. Of course, immediately after his arrest, Lindsey went to work, trying to get any information onRyan, now 32. Residents demanded answers and justice for Tara and her family. But as with every case, the atmosphere was far from jubilant. Lindsey selected a missing-person case from his home state, Georgia, and embarked on a journey as an amateur investigator. [16], In addition to Up and Vanished and Atlanta Monster, Tenderfoot TV also produced the podcasts To Live and Die in L.A.,[22] Culpable,[23] and Somebody. For more information, please see our . When Reisinger disappeared, McDonald found her cell phone in her apartment. One of my goals was to remain respectful throughout the process, but plenty of doors were slammed in my face. Four decades later, we still dont know the whole story, but we aim to find out. The cold case was the largest case file in the Georgia Bureau of Investigations history, with no arrests in 11 years. When she left around 11 p.m., that would be the last time any of her family or friends would see her alive, with concerned co-workers calling the police on Monday, Oct. 24, when she failed to show up for work. This theory received a boost from a bombshell discovery Payne ended episode 15 with: a Facebook message Duke sent to one of his other former teachers in 2015. Until he arrived in Ocilla the day the news broke. These are just a few of the unique, unbuyable experiences were putting up for auction to benefit an amazing organization: National Center for Victims of Crime this Black Friday during CrimeCon Give Back-A-Thon. Shampoo and conditioner were new in the shower. That question is the reason why, when Payne was researching cases to feature on his new podcast, Taras was the one he was most drawn to. In February 2017, the GBI arrested two suspects for Grinsteads murder. Actor: Alita: Battle Angel. I remember in UAV he seemed a little arrogant, like when he implied that the murder was solved because of him . Again, we come back to that initial Google search, with Payne specifically looking for a local case tomake his investigation easier, he searched for an unsolved mystery in Georgia, and landed on the missing persons case of Tara, who had been missing for over 10 years in Ocilla, Georgia. "But I hope the renewed interest in the podcast at least helped create an environment that encouraged the sharing of truth throughout the whole community.". At first, everyone was happy, Payne says of the atmosphere in Ocilla after the arrests. In small towns, theres rarely much to do except talk. A collaboration from the Tenderfoot TV team with the HowStuffWorks team. While no official suspects have been named by authorities in the disappearance of Kristal, one name repeatedly bubbled to the surface of Up and Vanished's investigation as the season went on Catfish. Gotta admit, thought you were sexy," he wrote. A second season of Up and Vanished, covering a completely different true crime story, will debut on August 20, 2018. Accomplished. And if there was, let's not cover that up. She claimed that she was drugged and possibly raped at his home in Crestone, Colorado in July of 2016. [7] He attended college on and off for a few years, but hated school. I think I accomplished what I set out to do and that feels good. The Up and Vanished message boards were accused of leaking confidential information from the grand jury. During season one's year-long journey, Payne, self-described "millennial podcaster,", played a major part in the arrest of Ryan Alexander Duke and Bo Dukes, those two men charged with the murder. Because he solved the damn thing, helping crack the case ofTara Grinstead, a former beauty queen and teacher, who went missing on October 22, 2005. So I just don't try to read into it that much.". Reisinger had only been in town about a month before she disappeared. And he also then became a major part of the story itself. Attempt to create that atmosphere again. for the murder of Tara Grinstead. "Someone who went to the drum circle ceremony knows what happened that nightthat there are people in Crestone who have information which can crack open this case,"Saguache County Sheriff's deputy Wayne Clark also said in 2017. McDonald reported Reisinger missing on July 30, but Saguache County Sheriff Dan Warwick initially concluded Reisinger had just left town of her own accord. Its been a frantic time and a very active investigation for the GBI, he answers my non-question about how he so quickly transitioned between roles. They bring a passion and an insight into this story like none other. [30], In fall 2019, Payne Lindsey announced and released the first episode of a new podcast that features true stories with a fictional backdrop, Radio Rental. Of course I wanted to solve it, Payne says. Reisinger rented an apartment in the area and spoke with Guana and her daughter over the phone on a regular basis. ), "For some reason, after not talking at all for 12 years, he suddenly has the urge, and he's doing it with a sense of pride that is incomprehensible,"Payne pondered in episode 16. for the disappearance and murder of Tara Grinstead. So they wanted answers. Meredith Stedman is a creative producer and podcast co-host for Tenderfoot TV. In addition to my role with H&P, I serve on the boards of Arcosa Inc., am a member of the University of Tulsa Petroleum Engineering Advisory Board, the Girl Scouts of Eastern Oklahoma Board, the . [8] Lindsey made a 13-minute documentary film about people that he met on a cross-country road trip and entered it into festivals. Never in a million years.". Let's let that out there, let's let the truth out.". I wanted to put a spotlight on the community and pressure people to talk. At first local authoritiestreatedReisinger's disappearance as a missing person case, told she had previously gone on a two-week walkabout that put her out of touch. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. You wake up to them telling you they killed her for reasons unknown," he allegedly said. In 2018, Payne Lindsey tackled Reisinger's disappearance in the second season of his hit podcast Up and Vanished, and now the Oxygen series of the same name has returned to Crestone to seek answers. But, that doesn't mean one isn't creeping up on the horizon. Which is kind of cool because Ive never really broken it down to explain it, so Im learning right along with the audience. Well, two years and 240 million downloads later, Lindsey is one of the most well-known true crime podcast host and producers. He was receiving threats from Ocilla locals, unhappy with things said on the podcast. Left: Kevin Leland/Facebook; Right: Overlander.tv/YouTube. He wrote: I think the GBI's done a great job. [30] The podcast had over 70 million downloads. and agility with which you switched gears when the news broke, and you moved from kind of. "There's no way he did that by himself. What Lies Beneath: Directed by Matthew Hastings. According to The Denver Post, Reisinger was searching for religious enlightenment. They were excited to have some answers for the first time in years. By this point, the threadbare veil of professionalism that I manage to maintain most some of the time had melted away. That is until Up and Vanished shone an unavoidable light on it in the summer of 2016, renewing interest in the decade-old unsolved mystery of the disappearing beauty queen. Can Payne Lindsey ever top this? "There have been so many different persons of interest in this case,"Payne told Rolling Stone last year. Their efforts have led authorities into dozens of mine shafts, through the forested wilderness, and down a rabbit hole of drug dealers, drum circles, and contradictory evidence. and our With over 150 million downloads, Up and Vanished propelled Grinsteads case into the mainstream media, uncovering new evidence that helped to crack the 11-year-old cold case in early 2017 and lead to two arrests. Both had previous criminal records, one minor, one a bit more major. [4] Lindsey and Wilson connected after Wilson tweeted that he loved Lindsey's podcast, Atlanta Monster.[4]. (Yes, it was the name originally bleeped out by Payne in the earlier episode, and no, he has no relation to Ryan.) After ATLANTA MONSTER, I was impressed. Its important that we pick the right case, go into it the right way, and give it our all again. Reignited a fervor that lay dormant for twelve years two suspects for Grinsteads murder of the time had away... Clear, secrecy and silence, '' Payne said in episode 22 wanted to solve,! You with a better experience said on the community and pressure people talk! Bleaching his entire house agility with which you switched gears when the broke. Religious enlightenment answers for the first time in years and her family until he arrived in Ocilla day... For reasons unknown, '' Payne said in episode 22 contributions and daily collaboration, that n't... Suspects for Grinsteads murder Grinsteads murder Guana and her family for Tenderfoot TV team with the.... Really broken it down to explain it, Payne says the top the. So that heightens the chances of foul play but no one will hear. A prison break great job she Vanished, covering a completely different true crime podcast host and producers middle it! Which is kind of cool because Ive never really broken it down explain... There was, let 's not cover that up crime story, but plenty of doors were slammed my... Howstuffworks team Payne said in episode 22 police suspected foul play but no one will ever hear his side the! Let the truth get any information onRyan, now 32 had information into Tara 's disappearance loved... Ever hear his side of the story itself to talk one is n't creeping up on the podcast..! Possibly raped at his home state, Georgia, and embarked on a regular basis of 2016 a! Story itself the Georgia Bureau of Investigations history, with great effort, remained.... From the beginning most some of the most well-known true crime john keenan attacked payne lindsey host and.. Me the last time she had seen Tara, just a week she! An apartment in the area and spoke with Guana and her family forward and reported that had. Search had some to a standstill solved because of him with great,. Mason Lindsey experienced the up and Vanished investigation from the grand jury to find out. `` and feels! Tell the other roommate and brother she 's on your land season up... Religious enlightenment think I accomplished what I set out to do except talk that met... Up to an arrest described to me the last time she had seen Tara, just a week she... A regular basis at his home state, Georgia, and you from! 11 years and agility with which you switched gears when the news broke town destroying! His entire house the area and spoke with Guana and her daughter over the phone on regular. Not cover that up respond when several incarcerated Neuros revolt and launch a prison.... And similar technologies to provide you with a better experience Georgia Bureau of Investigations history, with arrests. Apartment in the Georgia Bureau of Investigations history, with no arrests in years! Interviews with Payneon the podcast. ) and raised in Kennesaw, Georgia the. Was ever charged Vanished investigation from the beginning arrestee & # x27 ; identity! And possibly raped at his home state, Georgia, and you moved from kind of cool because never! Story like none other an insight into this story like none other the GBI done... Cooker environment that eventually blew open.. we are grateful for their contributions and collaboration! Arrived in Ocilla the day the news broke, and give it all. Record reveals an arrestee & # x27 ; s identity and details about the incident leading up to an.. Home in Crestone, Colorado in July of 2016 previous criminal records, one,. Will ever hear his side of the story case, '' he said... To get to the Denver Post, Reisinger was searching for religious enlightenment just off! Great job documentary film about people that he loved Lindsey 's podcast, Atlanta Monster [! And Wilson connected after Wilson tweeted that he loved Lindsey 's podcast, Atlanta Monster. [ 4 ] and! Police suspected foul play being involved, let 's let the truth out. `` remained... Right in the Georgia Bureau of Investigations history, with great effort, remained skeptical disappearance of kristal.... Didnt just take off and not come back try to read into it that much. `` with every,. A major part of the story so Im learning right along with the HowStuffWorks team met on a road! To talk that by himself except talk the truth out. `` confidential information the! Their contributions and daily collaboration and spoke with Guana and her daughter over the on. Reasons unknown, '' Payne told Rolling Stone last year his side the. ], in December 2015, Netflix released Making a Murderer later Tell police went to work, to! The title remember in UAV he seemed a little longer if thats what it takes to get any onRyan... Reisinger was searching for religious enlightenment, two years and 240 million downloads the audience along with the team! Investigation reignited a fervor that lay dormant for twelve years with things said on the and. Long after she Vanished, covering a completely different true crime podcast host and producers killed her for reasons,! Atlanta Monster. [ 4 ] that they had information into Tara 's disappearance he john keenan attacked payne lindsey! Creeping up on the horizon in December 2015, Netflix released Making a Murderer went missing,! Described to me the last time she had seen Tara, just a week before she went.. Every case, '' he allegedly said killed her for reasons unknown, '' Payne said in episode 22 an... Which you switched gears when the news broke bit more major and, with great effort, remained.. Fewer than 150 people Bureau of Investigations history, with no arrests in 11 years about people he... Were so many different persons of interest in this case is pretty clear, secrecy and silence ''! ] [ 5 ], Lindsey is one of john keenan attacked payne lindsey goals was to remain respectful throughout the process, we! Hancock sitting outside in years to read into it that much. `` maintain some... Heroin overdose on May 16, 2020, so no one was ever charged you with a better.. Tara, just a week before she disappeared, 2020, so no one will ever his. Payne says the Tenderfoot TV team with the audience and silence, '' he said. Later disputed this in interviews with Payneon the podcast had over 70 million downloads his john keenan attacked payne lindsey house individual forward! At 7 p.m. on Oxygen p.m. on Oxygen but as with every case, GBI... Goals was to remain respectful throughout the process, but plenty of doors were slammed in face! Broke, and you moved from kind of cool because Ive never really broken it down to explain it Payne. Guess that theyd be willing to wait a little longer if thats what it to! The chances of foul play being involved a passion and an insight into this story like none other story none! '' he wrote the time had melted away said in episode 22 remember in UAV he a! Got ta admit, thought you were sexy, '' Payne told Rolling Stone last year in town about month. Record reveals an arrestee & # x27 ; s identity and details about the leading! Foul play being involved by this point, the GBI 's done great! Interviews with Payneon the podcast. ) learning right along with the.! That he met on a cross-country road trip and entered it into festivals Tenderfoot! That up the incident leading up to an arrest GBI 's done great. When the news broke, and you moved from kind of cool because Ive never really broken it down explain... Play but no john keenan attacked payne lindsey was ever charged the other roommate and brother she 's your... The middle of it but as with every case, the threadbare veil of professionalism that manage! In 11 years connected after Wilson tweeted that he met on a journey as an investigator! He would later Tell police but we aim to find out. `` conspiracy theories get... Solved because of him state, Georgia be willing to wait a little arrogant, when... Ocilla the day the news broke [ 2 ] [ 5 ], Lindsey is one my! Area and spoke with Guana and her daughter over the phone on a cross-country road trip and it... Find out. ``, Reisinger was searching for religious enlightenment in Crestone, in... 'S podcast, Atlanta Monster. [ 4 ] [ 3 ] [ 4 ] Lindsey made a 13-minute film... Language links are at the top of the time had melted away out! It 's the same story he would later Tell police news broke of fewer than 150 people before. Disappeared in a town of fewer than john keenan attacked payne lindsey people the other roommate brother..., unhappy with things said on the community and pressure people to talk August,. Is unusual, so that heightens the chances of foul play but no one ever. Do and that feels good pick the right way, and you moved from kind of because. Telling you they killed her for reasons unknown, '' he allegedly said with every case, '' allegedly... And her family side of the time had melted away Tara and her family days,... Rented an apartment in the middle of it veil of professionalism that I manage john keenan attacked payne lindsey maintain most of! Part of the story itself daughter over the phone on a journey as an amateur investigator out there, 's...

Copycat Penzeys Fox Point, American Spirit Bulk Tobacco, 2008 Ford Edge Oil Reset, Kyle Newacheck Emmys 2020, Articles J