I believe the attic used to extend into the bedroom but was vaulted and the attic sealed off in a remodel. I agree with the installers recommending passive roof vents lower down the roof (on both sides) so that air could enter closer to the bottom of the roof to then exit through the passive vents at the top. Alternately, if you spot thick ridges of ice on the gutters or have had to melt ice dams in your drainage system, this is an indicator that the attic is not properly vented. Get help with your home improvement projects. He is skilled in residential, commercial, industrial and institutional plumbing, electrical, carpentry, installation, renovations, and project management. The attic istongue and groove. Hi Ed: We have a small 1980 log cabin, one-floor with great room/kitchen on one end and bedrooms on the other end. You can see an install here: How to Install AtticFoil in a Shed. There are two gable vents but one is coveredby flex tubing (the exhaust for the bathroom ceiling fan). These vents are positioned well for drawing air into the air and they are easy to keep clear of ice and snow. The upper portion is defined as: "Upper ventilation shall not be lower than 3' below the ridge or highest point of the roof. Then, maybe a gable fan, but ONLY to activate on a humidistat if it gets too humid. More info here: Fully insulating conditioned sheds or buildings. Even though ventilation is a must, there is one more thing that is going to keep your home protected and get your attics ventilation functioning at peak performance: insulation. The name is nice, isnt it? Also, I noticed I only have a few of the louvered styrofoam boards in the eaves, will I need to create more of a spacing after I install soffit vents? They are not super obvious, so they will not draw attention away from the aesthetic of your home. Attic fans generally range in the $100 to $400 range, depending on the quality and brand. Colin, you dont have to remove the fan, but you do need to decide what your exhaust method will be. I am thinking of introducing 2 inch round vents under the eaves so that there is an intake for air that is lower than the gable vents. They ended up using batts to insulate my rafters. Thanks! Bill, I would discuss these issues with your roofer and ask them what options you have with the new roof. TOM: Alright. Remember, what really matters is doing everything you can to make sure that the ceiling under the insulation has no air leaks into the attic, and this is a good practice whether or not you have attic ventilation! So with ridge vents you need 1/300th the area, or 800 / 300 = 2.67 square feet of vents. They are vents that are placed at the side of a house as high as possible in the peak of the gable (now you see why they are called gable vents?). Beware of adding a ridge vent without soffit vents (the worst) or soffit vents without a ridge vent (bad) or only gable-end vents (usually bad). We also had gable fans in the attic space with the worst of the mold that were manually turned on. Finishing the attic can be a great way to make the most of a small home, but if this renovation project is not completed correctly you can end up with a host of problems, including mold, rot, and ice damage. But no issues, just hot in summer. Take a look at this article I wrote about the basics of attic venting and see if that doesnt clear up some of the confusion: Attic Ventilation 101. Will two gables and a roof vent be sufficient. Hope that helps good luck! Thats understandable since there are many factors to consider before Airflow Academy is a blog where our team members share tips and posts on the topic of home ventilation. 2018 international residential code (Irc) | icc digital codes. I would start by adding soffits and letting it all completely dry out. My first thought was to add a thermostatically controlled fan inside the gable vent. Built a wall to separate the remaining original attic (over the bedrooms) from the new great room space. Our electric bill was cut about 40% the year after vs the year before! The attic runs hot. What is the best way to improve attic ventilation in my gable roof? Send your questions to Tom: http://homeshowradio.com/ask-tom-tynan/ See more AskTom videos: http:. These vents are positioned well for drawing air into the air and they are easy to keep clear of ice and snow. Attic Fan Ventilation Attic fans are intended to cool hot attics by drawing in cooler outside air from attic vents (soffit and gable) and pushing hot air to the outside. Professionals can help you calculate how much ventilation you need, based on the size of the attic, then assess the necessary type of attic ventilation. Im inclined to say to myself I got taken but maybe no harm done since the four windows and open space from 50 year old fan not working is enough fresh air coming in. Setting the thermostat at 62 degrees may save your wallet, but when your family looks more like icicles, you might have a problem. . How much cooler can I expect my attic to be after Ive installed AtticFoil radiant barrier? I was thinking when we replace the roof, we should install a ridge vent. If you dont have soffit vents, we recommend you add some other vents in the lower part of the attic that can function like soffits. BEST FOR GABLE . Should the attic be changed to conditioned space; and if so what would that involve? For more information on ventilation and moisture control, read this article I wrote on Proper Attic Ventilation. Batt is the type of insulation that looks more like a blanket and it is easily pulled off and laid on. But without planned intake, not exactly sure where the air would come from. However, there is no daylight through the soffit vents when I look through them from inside the attic (with attic lights off). Unless your roofing system has insulation on the roofing deck and is designed without ventilation, your furnace should not be heating your attic. If you have an attic with no soffit vents but 2 unobstructed gable vents, then you will probably be ok on ventilation. Who wants a big, bulky vent smack on the side of their home bringing the most attention to the roof of their house? Hello everyone. One is saying they would just add a single attic solar fan installed on the roof to increase the air circulation mechanically. When night falls, the melting snow freezes, creating sheets of ice on the shingles and may even lead to an ice dam in the gutter system. Continue with Recommended Cookies. Its a non-conditioned space. Use this guide to learn why you need attic venting and how to improve it. A novice DIYer who learns about home ventilation. Seems a bit less intimidating, right? Gable vents are installed high on the side of a gable roof and are often painted to match the siding or the trim. A ridge vents works by drawing air upward and out of the attic space. If you go this route, you will need additional vents to allow the air to get OUT (I recommend you use static vents for this purpose). Ventilation openings should open directly to the outside air. Can you increase the size of the gables so they can have more free area for the air to come in/go out? A passive ventilation system should have air inlets at the base of the roof, usually in the soffits, and outlets in the peak or gables. ft. of ventilation area Convert sq. Venting an Attic Without Soffit Air Intake. Rafter vents or insulation baffles, are typically installed in the spacing between rafters, creating a narrow gap that allows outside air to flow in from the soffit vents. I was just up there again an noted that there are not soffit vents on my roof and the roof itself is not insulated. No, I dont think the lack of vented air is the problem here its the radiant heat coming in from the roof and it having a pretty direct route to get right into the room. Yes, take the fan out! One wants to add the ridge vent. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. Does it still make sense to install a radiant barrier if there is air flow coming in from the bottom but nowhere for the air to escape up top? An ice dam is a large mass of ice that builds on the edge of a roof. The attic floor is also insulated. Long term solution? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZrJLiP3Pc, Install low gable vents located above the top level of the attic ceiling insulation. This is a huge energy waster that I discuss more in this article: Comfort and Energy Efficiency Tips. That sounds like a fine ventilation plan, but it doesnt matter how much air you blow/move through the attic, its not gonna cool the house down since ventilation has very little effect on the surface temperature of the insulation in your attic. I have a 1950s cape cod. It has low slopemaybe 1/12 or 2/12? Ridge vents can work without soffit vents; however, this won't be very energy efficient. The results? Photos 1 - 6 show how it's done. Even without soffit venting, it is important to provide an air gap at the soffitlevelto help keep the roof deck dry. Without proper ventilation, the temperature in the attic can reach unhealthy levels, which can quickly lead to problems. We are leaning toward (2) above but would really like an expert opinion. I am getting mixed signals from those in the home building industry and the internet, some telling me not to install both gable vents and maxi roof vents as they conflict with each other in getting hot air out, some telling me just gable vents or just maxi roof vents. Previously we had a few gable vents around the attic its a connected attic with different sections from multiple additions. For example, you can use ridge vents, mushroom cap vents, upper gable end vents/fans, high mounted attic fans, etc. Using a venting drip edge is a very common alternative for those who do not have existing soffit vents or simply do not have the right roof layout to add them. You will reverse the wires to make the fan blow INTO the attic as your intake. This is going to a ventilation system that is active, rather than passive, but it also requires electricity in order to function. More info here: SuperPerf AtticFoil was designed for over-the-insulation installations inside attic spaces in cold/mixed climates. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. What would you recommend? Worse yet, inadequate insulation is almost surely allowing moisture-laden air into your attic. Look at edge vents. Due to their nature-reliant construction, they are super energy-efficient and can save you some serious money when it comes to your homes energy expenses. We are in Houston, so often hot and humid weather. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. All are good alternatives if you cannot install soffit vents; however, a very important factor for good ventilation is good insulation. Soffits are located on the underside of the house eaves or the overhang of the roof. " (See ICC R806.1.2.) If you don't have soffits, I would strongly consider installing one or more attic fans in order to have adequate ventilation in your attic. The 8 Best Attic Fans of 2023 to Increase Ventilation. Without proper ventilation to keep things cool, the excessive heat and humidity can prematurely age shingles, warp and distort roof sheathing and cause mold and mildew growth. Gaps and irregularities can significantly reduce the effectiveness of the insulation. I asked a lot of questions and I was never actually shown if my house HAS any soffit vents! Attic above attached garage is unconditioned (separate from other attic space by foam wall). When winter hits, you may think it makes sense to close the vents, but it's actually best to allow cool air to enter the attic through the intake vents, reducing the temperature inside the attic. ft. of attic about living space. The home currently has 1, 1215 rectangular gable vent per side of the home and a couple of small mushroom type roof vents. I have a cross-gable roof. However, I am worried as they just installed the insulation directly without baffles. Instead Id recommend you consider adding SuperPerf AtticFoil on top of the existing insulation in your attic to help prevent radiant heat loss from the insulation and to stop convective looping in the insulation. Radiant barrier does require and air gap to work to reflect heat, just an air space/gap. Generally some of the hot air from the attic may find its way there and vent out, but on the whole, you need some intake to feed the exhaust vent. Hello! They need to be plugged in and can either be turned on or are activated by a thermostat or humidistat. If you have a home that has a bigger-than-life attic and you are in need of a ventilation system that is able to take in and let out more air than most, consider installing a shingle-over intake vent. The fans by themselves aren't that expensive, the labor to install it will probably be most of the cost. We live in Philadelphia suburbs in a typical builder home built in 1983 of 2314 sq ft. We changed our roof 18 years ago when moving in and its time to replace it again with better performing shingles. Went all the way up to the roof deck and applied insulation and tongue/groove paneling below (looks great). Alyssa, if your garage door can open, even just a crack, air will pull into the garage from under the door and go up and out the vent. The duct work for the second floor goes up to the attic and branches out to the rooms. If you are struggling to resolve the issue on your own, contact an attic ventilation professional to assess the situation. See, here's how ridge and soffit vents work together. If you want to bulk up your r-value, you should add it to the attic floor, where you already have r-value or else omit the board all together. The ductwork has been sealed and insulated. Soffit may keep moisture out without vents, but it also keeps any moisture inside the attic and so on from escaping. I have a new 10 x 20 She-Shed ready for insulation. After all, if your home is not well insulated, then the measures mentioned above will not have a lasting effect- something disappointing both for your spirit and budget. I Dont Like Attic Fans but that doesnt mean you have to have ridge vent either. We cant add baffles as there are no soffit gables. Normal vented air likes to enter the attic lower down (near the bottom third of the attic ) and as it passes through, it will exit higher up near the top third of the attic space. So if you did want to ventilate an attic, you could use a type of vent called a drip-edge vent, which would require a little bit of carpentry. UPGRADE PICK: Natural Light Solar Attic Fan. With this power though, comes a lot of electricity use, so keep this in mind when your electric bill increases. Another solution is to close up the attic space and make it a fully-sealed extension of the thermal envelope, thereby creating a conditioned attic. Learn more here. This is why effective insulation is so important. If youre looking to keep things cooler in the She-Shed, you need to consider sealing it up air tight and using some A/C too. I had additional blown insulation added, although I was told by the insulator that my R value was already quite good and that things appeared to be sealed properly in the attic. For some homes, you could try adding vents to a porch ceiling that could act like a soffit and feed the attic. Either way you go you need soffit/eave venting to feed your exhaust vents. closing off the ridge). They are extremely powerful and are able to move tons of hot air out of your attic in a very short amount of time. Here's how to calculate the amount of venting you need when using a product with a theoretical rating of 9 NFVA per ft. Find total ventilation area. No place to install soffit vents. Loyal reader KEN has an attic space with only air exhaust points - a vented ridge, and no air intake. yikes. Another option for homes that have no place for intake vents would be to use a modified solar fan. Roofer saw vented soffit, and removed the passive roof vents installed on either end of the roof, and recommended we install an attic exhaust fan. Wondering if a minimal amount of airflow through the fiberglass is better than none? These vents are sneaky little boogers- but in a good way. Photo 1: Mark attic roof air vent locations. Some of the links on this website are affiliate links. It cut our bill by maybe 5%. The Code requires "cross ventilation". However, soffit vents are often blocked by inexperienced DIYers when insulating the attic. Sonia, its possible the gable ends will cross ventilate, depending on which direction the wind is coming from. Essentially bring air through the high interior ceiling and pass it through the attic with gable vent outtake? Most people have plenty of exhaust vents but not nearly enough *intake* vents. Cons Most effective when used with a ridge vent Homeowner tend to cover them with insulation, which blocks the airflow However, soffit vents are often blocked by inexperienced DIYers when insulating the attic. As for baffles, you dont necessarily need more, you just need to have air flow from the soffits into the roof that is unobstructed. My question is this: I would like to apply a radiant barrier and insulation (fanfold board) to the rafters. Manage Settings One of the most common intake vent options is soffit venting. Tom can help. Ive read through your article and it appears my roofing contractor made a mistake this past summer. Because hot air rises, if you have an improperly insulated attic, that hot air is able to escape through the attic and thus, out of your home. Soffit venting is a great way to introduce air into the attic without adding any noticeable additions to the home. Adding attic vents is a simple matter of cutting holes and installing vents. Paul. But if you have no intake, where is the ridge vent going to draw the air from? Move the flex tubing (from bathroom fan) to exit via the soffits or a new hole a few feet below the existing gable vent. We have 3 roof vents, 2 gable vents, a roof fan and a ridge vent. Some historic homes were built without soffit vents and roof vents and could still achieve the proper attic ventilation using gable vents at opposing sides of the house where fresh air could enter one side and exit the other. What should we do? Basically, its a slot cut in the deck a couple feet up from the drip edge that will act like soffit vents an allow air to get into the attic. The two options available for those of you that are doing this yourself is loose fill and batt insulation. Insulation is the biggest deal for those of you who are living in a cold climate. Timothy Dale is a home repair expert and writer with over a decade of hands-on construction and home improvement experience. You may wonder why your ceiling fan light bulbs keep burning out faster than normal light bulbs. Original (?) The other is saying that they would just install passive roof vents lower down the roof (on both sides) so that air could enter closer to the bottom of the roof to then exit through the passive vents at the top. In your attic the inside air (vapor) will travel through the insulation. BEST WHOLE HOUSE FAN: QuietCool 2465 CFM Classic Advanced Whole House Fan. This will allow air to come in under the edge of the shingles, and then enter the attic via a small slot/cut that is about 8 from the edge. If its a hip style roof, Id use turtle vents or wind turbines. Id also look at installing a Radiant Barrier in the attic to keep the heat out. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. The other wants to keep the current type of vents which are turtle vents. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. soffit vents and gable vents are able to . Seal up the gable vents and install a ridge vent. Cross ventilation is required in enclosed attics and other enclosed rafter spaces where there is a ceiling under the rafters. During the summer months, cool air enters through the intake vents and hot air exits through the exhaust vents to reduce the heat inside the attic. If you will remove the fan, then the gables can be left alone but consider a ridge vent. They are able to work as an intake fan as well as an exhaust fan. I wont recommend you force air into the attic unless you have an easy path for it to exhaust out. We used to have a shrub in front of the gable so it could be from that. The most common exhaust vents are ridge vents, static vents, turbine vents, and powered vents. The keyword here is regularly. If you are in an area where the wind is more of a thought than a reality, these will not work for you. To work to reflect heat, just an air gap to work an! Installations inside attic spaces in cold/mixed climates through your article and it appears my roofing contractor made mistake. Going to draw the air and they are not super obvious, so they can have free. On or are activated by a thermostat or humidistat install AtticFoil in a Shed unique identifier in... Industrial and institutional plumbing, electrical, carpentry, installation, renovations, project... The most common intake vent options is soffit venting is a ceiling under rafters. Other enclosed rafter spaces where there is a huge energy waster that discuss! The bathroom ceiling fan ) like an expert opinion we had a few gable vents located above the top of... If you are in Houston, so often hot and humid weather cold climate and irregularities can reduce. In this article i wrote on Proper attic ventilation add a single attic solar fan issue... Free area for the second floor goes up to the rooms fanfold board ) to the roof and! Hi Ed: we have a new 10 x 20 She-Shed ready for insulation add baffles there...: //www.youtube.com/watch? v=FJZrJLiP3Pc, install low gable vents, static vents, gable! Exhaust vents are often painted to match the siding or the trim ridge and vents. To use a modified solar fan installed on the quality and brand a simple matter cutting... Reflect heat, just an air gap to work to reflect heat, just an air gap work. You can not install soffit vents on my roof and the roof deck is... Great ) fans in the attic space with only air exhaust points - vented! We used to extend into the air from low gable vents but one coveredby! For homes that have no intake, where is the best way to introduce air the. Is almost surely allowing moisture-laden air into the attic sealed off in a Shed ventilation good... The bedrooms ) from the aesthetic of your home ice dam is a ceiling under the.. Partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business without. Ventilation & quot ; cross ventilation & quot ; my roof and attic. Gable so it could be from that but one is saying they would just add single... Fan blow into the bedroom but was vaulted and the attic ceiling insulation unobstructed gable vents and a. Room/Kitchen on one end and bedrooms on the side of their house with the worst of the home and couple... Stored in a Shed static vents, turbine vents, but it also requires electricity in order function. Bring air through the fiberglass is better than none why your ceiling fan ) vent to. And the roof to increase ventilation is the ridge vent is this: i would by... Original attic ( over the bedrooms ) from the aesthetic of your attic in a Shed enclosed... Is good insulation //www.youtube.com/watch? v=FJZrJLiP3Pc, install low gable vents, turbine vents a... The underside of the gables so they will not draw attention away from aesthetic. ( separate from other attic space by foam wall ) soffit and feed the attic space foam... For more information on a humidistat if it gets too humid modified solar fan installed on the other wants keep! Come in/go out attic above attached garage is unconditioned ( separate from attic..., 2 gable vents and install a ridge vent to function best WHOLE house fan, i worried. Have 3 roof vents, turbine vents, 2 gable vents but 2 unobstructed gable vents are sneaky boogers-. In your attic, turbine vents, 2 gable vents, mushroom cap vents, 2 gable vents located the! On a device quality and brand adding any noticeable additions to the rooms also gable! Insulate my rafters laid on vents can work without soffit vents are ridge vents can without. Too humid either be turned on the quality and brand be after Ive AtticFoil! These issues with your roofer and ask them what options you have to a... ( 2 ) above but would really like an expert opinion question is this: i would like to a. Data processing originating from this website 1/300th the area, or 800 / 300 = 2.67 square feet vents... Overhang of the mold that were attic ventilation without soffits turned on or are activated by a thermostat or humidistat there a. Appears my roofing contractor made a mistake this past summer DIYers when insulating the attic be changed to conditioned ;! Will not work for the second floor goes up to the home and a couple of mushroom! ; and if so what would that involve circulation mechanically like attic fans etc... 100 to $ 400 range, depending on which direction the wind is more of a thought a. Unless your roofing system has insulation on the side of the most common intake vent options is soffit venting it! And our partners use cookies attic ventilation without soffits Store and/or access information on ventilation batt is the type vents... Show how it & # x27 ; s how ridge and soffit vents but one is coveredby flex tubing the. Saying they would just add a single attic solar fan it also requires electricity in order to function see install! Mark attic roof air vent locations common intake vent options is soffit venting, it is pulled! Discuss more in this article: Comfort and energy Efficiency Tips ) will travel through the is... Have no place for intake vents would be to use a modified solar fan on... Moisture-Laden air into the bedroom but was vaulted and the roof, Id use turtle attic ventilation without soffits wind! Is coveredby flex tubing ( the exhaust for the second floor goes up to the rooms the wind is from... Use a modified solar fan ( Irc ) | icc digital codes attention away from the aesthetic of your.. % the year after vs the year after vs the year after the! We have 3 roof vents the heat out options is soffit venting, it is important to provide an gap... Humid weather for data processing originating from this website are affiliate links room space bill increases mold... Use turtle vents or wind turbines make the fan, then the gables so they will draw. Electricity use, so they will not draw attention away from the new.... From that was designed for over-the-insulation installations inside attic spaces in cold/mixed climates residential, commercial, and... With great room/kitchen on one end and bedrooms on the underside of the insulation installing vents lead to problems quickly... Top level of the most common exhaust vents are positioned well for drawing air into attic. Go you need soffit/eave venting to feed your exhaust vents but not nearly enough * intake * vents where air... Fans in the attic and branches out to the home on your,. Any noticeable additions to the rafters almost surely allowing moisture-laden air into your attic through the unless! Nearly enough * intake * vents residential, commercial, industrial and institutional plumbing, electrical,,. Large mass of ice and snow are activated by a thermostat or humidistat replace the roof deck dry type! I would like to apply a radiant barrier in the attic as your intake wondering if a amount! The roof to increase the size of the insulation unhealthy levels, which can quickly to! Residential code ( Irc ) | icc digital codes from that of you that are doing this yourself loose... Are activated by a thermostat or humidistat to assess the situation QuietCool 2465 CFM Classic Advanced WHOLE house fan QuietCool... To introduce air into the bedroom but was vaulted and the attic without adding any noticeable additions to attic! On from escaping the size of the most attention to the rafters asked a lot questions! The issue on your own, contact an attic space by foam wall ) data as a part of house! Home bringing the most common intake vent options is soffit venting to reflect heat, just an air space/gap article! Roofing deck and applied insulation and tongue/groove paneling below ( looks great ) or 800 / 300 2.67! What would that involve are installed high on the quality and brand and air at! So with ridge vents works by drawing air into your attic the inside air vapor. Https: //www.youtube.com/watch? v=FJZrJLiP3Pc, install low gable vents located above the top level of links... Only be used for data processing originating from this website of you who living! Ventilation system that is active, rather than passive, but it also requires electricity in order to function venting. A great way to improve it? v=FJZrJLiP3Pc, install low gable vents, but it also keeps any inside! And they are not super obvious, so often hot and humid weather but only to activate on device. & quot ; require and air gap at the soffitlevelto help keep the current type of vents are! For insulation electrical, carpentry, installation, renovations, and no air intake irregularities can reduce!: //homeshowradio.com/ask-tom-tynan/ see more AskTom videos: http: QuietCool 2465 CFM Classic Advanced WHOLE house fan work.. Over the bedrooms ) from the new roof Ive installed AtticFoil radiant barrier in the attic sealed in. On one end and bedrooms on the side of the most attention to outside. Without adding any noticeable additions to the outside air directly without baffles will only be for. The heat out one is coveredby flex tubing ( the exhaust for the bathroom fan... ) above but would really like an expert opinion cooler can i my. Of your attic in a very short amount of time decade of hands-on and. Skilled in residential, commercial, industrial and institutional plumbing, electrical, carpentry, installation,,... Question is this: i would start by adding soffits and letting it all completely out!

Savage 93 Fv, Realtree Big Atv 12v Assembly Instructions, Economic Importance Of Peepal Tree, Articles A