If youre reading this, it probably concerns you. Founder of Rifletalks.com. For a bullet to be accurate, its trajectory has to be as smooth as possible. The 30 Nosler has a Ballistic Coefficient of .507 while the coefficient for the 28 Nosler is .615. On the other hand, the 30 Noslers recoil rate is 31.58 ft-lbs. This is exposed to a lot of pressure, heat, carbon and coppering. The funny thing is the 33XC barrel is consistently holding 2-3 vertical at 1000 right now. How much longer it will do that I have no idea but Im guessing the barrel will give up peak accuracy around 400 rounds or maybe a hair less. Im going to try a different powder in my next barrel and see if that helps with throat erosion etc. Currently using N570 and pushing a 300 gr berger at 3225 fps in a 30 proof carbon barrel. That combo definitely isnt going to be easy on barrels! What do they have to say? Rod: How far off are these ELR cartridges from introductory cartridges like 338Lapua when it comes to burning barrels? As a result, it gets the advantage of trajectory as well. Check out the video below of the high performance 338LM at 1 mile that we shot in Sicily. This means monolthic bullets, with speeds over 960m/s. Its ideal for ground animals such as elk, deer, etc. So, during impact, it will have a bigger collision. The science behind the velocity, trajectory, and impact of a bullet is called ballistics. Extreme Shot Italia II 2000m Competition Registered yet? [2], The .26 Nosler (6.566mmRB) is a rebated-rim centerfire rifle cartridge designed by Nosler and first announced in November 2013. To tame a barrel burner, don't shoot fast . It is the fourth cartridge designed by Nosler. Below are some questions you may want to ask yourself when deciding about a new high performance cartridge. If yes, keep reading. What are your objectives with this cartridge? For 28 Nosler, it has a barrel life of 700-900 rounds for 175-grain bullets. One of the easiest ways to measure a bullets effective range is by its supersonic range. That is absolutely true. I am a businessI am an individual The test rifle ended up pushing the 215 Berger at 3100 fps. The primary use for the .27 Nosler is hunting. Your email address will not be published. If youre in Europe youre looking at 900-1300 per barrel depending on configuration, length, fluting, finish, muzzle break etc. The zero range of the rifle as well as the height of the sight should be taken into account. The 300 RUM will do better with the bigger bullets, but the gap is narrowed with the middle weight bullets such as the 215. While similar to the 6.8 SPC in some regards, there is no parent case and the .22 Nosler cannot be formed from 6.8 SPC brass. The change in position is determined by the velocity of the wind and other factors. For handloaders, Nosler will also offer fully prepared Nosler brass, bullets and reloading data for the .27 Nosler. The powder, primers, and bullets will be the same between cartridges so the only real differentiator will be brass. Pair that with its heavier weight and it takes the edge. Lets find out more Standard [], 33XC Rifle, First date! If you use heavier bullets, the barrel life will reduce significantly. I ran it with mild load of h1000 with 131 ACEs at 3170fps in a 26 and took it easy keeping shot strings low. So, you have to shoot a bit away from the target, keeping in mind wind direction and windage. When it comes to comparing ballistics, we have to set some grounds first. 338 FEDERAL 338-06 338-06 ACK 338 WIN MAG Having said that, it can benefit from a custom throat. This barrel was a royal pain I tried several bullets including the 212 ELD, 225 ELD, 208 ELD, and 215 Berger. (Dolphin Gun Company UK), Producing some of the largest volume of F-Class rifles in Europe, Mik knows barrel life as the palm of his rifled hands . As you can see, there will be a lot of overlap between the cartridges but if you are dead set on a velocity number, I would play the odds and pick the larger case. Remember, keep load development short when testing hi performance rifle cartridges. Yeah I just chalk up the fire forming of 100 rounds to watching the barrel speed up and find some good lower velocity nodes, finding a decent seating depth then stretching it's legs for indications on it's general accuracy. Keep reading as we go in-depth to help you out! It requires less than half the windage of my 308win seen below making my shots more forgiving in the same wind condition. Very good for long range targets and everything from antelope to elk. The .22 Nosler is a .22-caliber (.224in; 5.6mm), rebated-rim centerfire rifle cartridge designed by Nosler. Here, 28 Nosler takes the edge in terms of twist rate. . 16. Ok once were over the financials, lets speak to the experts. You may reach Harry Drescher here: Info@solidsolutiondesigns.com. A side benefit is you'll push out a lot of powder fouling. It was a hot load and only got 3-4 firings with Norma brass but shot 3-5 groups at my 1110 yard plate and 1.5-2.5 groups at my 755 plate and just didnt shoot its best any slower so I kept rolling at 3250. In this article, were going to settle the debate once and for all. Load data is the amount of grain of powder charge your cartridge needs for maximum performance. However, with time you can expect its collection to grow! My shooting buddy Robert is running 230s at 3050ft/s from a 29inch barrel. Above: Nowhere is the game more life and death than when hunting in the mountains. It is the third cartridge designed by Nosler. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Thanks guys. Reviews for Long Range Shooters. When I chamber a barrel, I make sure I have enough brass to last that barrel. Sign up today. The cases overall length also aids in quick follow-up shots, since the bolt throw is shorter than on a magnum action. Mostly target but some ground hogs. 10. . Materials and barrel life. I have both, the 30 is going to have much better barrel life. A one mile rifle cartridge like the 300 Norma and similar cartridges have what it takes to connect at 1 mile. On the other hand, 30 Nosler needs 86gr of H1000 powder to get a load capacity of 97% So, in terms of load capacity, 28 Nosler takes the edge! But, not at the listed SAMMI OAL of 3.34. If youre doing an Ibex hunt and absolutely must connect at any feasible distance you may be shooting, you cant go wrong with a 300 Norma. Each will average in the center of those listed windows. My test rifle did not like either of them. Explore this site to compare these rounds . Ryan:I did hear about Bartleins new steel theyre offering. Sounds like a good deal. Time will tell on the new steel. Cost is another key factor when it comes to choosing a product. In this way we shall get 3 expert views on the important topic. Its the velocity of the bullet at the time of leaving the rifle. Now, 30 Nosler has higher elevation energy at the start due to its higher muzzle velocity. Location. 3% powder cap equates into 1% velocity gain at SAME pressure. Snow. Among other things, Ryan builds 300 Normas that are meant to hunt with. How much longer depends on a number of things, including barrel quality and whether a barrel is regularly cleaned and serviced or abused by its owner. . Ryan: Both those 30 cal magnums mentioned are quite a bit faster than the 300 win mag. 300 win mag is gonna get 1500+ rounds of good barrel life if its taken care of. . I finally found a load with the 230 Berger Hybrid and Retumbo. Want to know more about us? I like the 30SM and have no complaints but when I rebarrel I may just go with the 30nosler. The Nosler factory ammo has proved to be very accurate and it can be fire formed from 280 Remington (it head spaces the same). The .30 Nosler is a 30-caliber (.308in; 7.62mm), rebated-rim centerfire rifle cartridge designed by Nosler. Yeah! Run two or three dry patches through before firing. When it comes to velocity, both muzzle velocity, and change velocity after shooting is important. The name .30 Nosler refers to the first two digits in the caliber (0.308in; 7.62mm) of the bullets that the cartridge fires and the name of the company which created it. Nosler produces six different hunting cartridges. Above: a bartlein 308 barrel just before engaging the rifling forward of the lead, its brand new, only fired a proofing round through it. . No one I know head spaces off the belt making it a moot point in my opinion. . In January 2017 Nosler introduced the .22 Nosler. [16] The .33 Nosler is built on the same action length as the .338 Winchester Magnum but launches projectiles at a higher velocity. Barrel life ranges from 2,000 to 4,000 rounds depending on use. It's about 500 fps (341 mph) faster than a .30/06 Springfield. Get the March Scope 2.5-2556 with upto 100MOA of elevation, View your barrel with a borescope as we did here https://www.instagram.com/p/CEGVveyJi9U/. I got the itch for a new cal and just pulled the trigger on a 30 nosler it will be throated to my dummy rounds. And when it comes to Nosler, they are a proven name in the market. If youre someone shooting on a regular basis, knowing your cartridges barrel life is important. We saw 28 Nosler getting a similar kind of advantage in twist rate when we compared it with 300 win mag. The best way to determine such efficiency is by checking their trajectory. RCBS reloading dies are also currently available for the cartridge. I have even had a customer who did 600 rounds laser-style in his 416Barret, ending the rifling for a good 45 percent.. Ryan: Round count ispretty subjective. Accuracy requirements play a big role in that as well, along with the above-mentioned variables. Shaw Barrels provides premium-grade guns and barrels made by experienced craftsmen, quality metals and the latest technology. These include-. In the subsequent years, Nosler would release the .28 Nosler (7mm bore diameter), and the .30 Nosler; these two are popular as all-around hunting choices. From the table, you can see the change in velocity, elevation, energy, windage based on distance and time of flight. The groups were 1.25 at its best. mags will push that bullet. Some are claiming as little as 600-round barrel life for RUM, 1,000 rounds for .28 Nosler, 2,000 for Rem. I even tuned the seating depth on the factory 225s and they still shot bad. So, theyre the most effective in that range. We have seen that already with the good old 300rum back in the days. The guy who bought it we talk and he seems to really like it 2930ish I think 250 a-tip rl33 28 inch bartlein barrel. ADG = 101 gr. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. As a reloader, you can stock up on brass, and the reported barrel life on the 26 Nosler is between 450-800 rounds, depending on shooting style. Over the last several months, I have been testing an old warrior along side two of the newest and hottest 30 caliber cartridges. The Berger 215 is an awesome hunting bullet and at a velocity of 2900 fps in the factory Berger ammo, this is a great option. I will say that about 10-years ago, I was talking with a Sako rep about the TRG's. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. From clear vision and multiple filters, they give you a very sight regardless of the situation! Finding the right cartridge can drastically improve your shooting experience. Surprised? To retain 1800fps & 1500ft/lbs (my elk criteria) at 7000'AMSL & 30F (typical conditions where we hunt elk): .280AI is a 985yd rifle (1967fps & 1500ft/lbs) 28N is a 1325yd rifle (1861fps & 1500ft/lbs) 28N, at 985yds, still carries 2140fps & 1980ft/lbs, beating the .280AI by almost 200fps & 480ft/lbs of energy on target, and with 25" less drop . Muzzle energy means the energy of the bullet at the time of leaving the gun. How much does your rifle barrel wear cost? Yes I agree I just had so many ackleys before I got tired of messing with that part. For the Nosler 30, you can get something like the Browning X-Bolt pro which is in the range of $1500-2000. The maximum upload file size: 256 MB. It is the area where the bullet spins for the first time in the lands and grooves of the barrel. Lets take a hunting rifle chambered in 300Norma such as those built by Ryan Pierce. Western slope, Colorado. Its the backward energy you face whenever you shoot a weapon. To help you understand the flow of energy, check out the chart, The key here is to see the change of energy over time and monitor the rate of change. Well use it as a benchmark to help you understand load data better. Furthermore, having the right stance and posture is a great way to deal with recoil. Founded by Frank Galli in 2000, Snipers Hide has been offering informational videos, podcasts, and other support to its users in one location. Neither of them would reach 3000 without pressure signs. Heat from repeated firing burnsbarrelsout slightly quicker. Spend your time figuring out how to shoot it and spend the saved money on more tags/hunts. It is the first cartridge designed by Nosler.[4][3][5]. So, lets begin! Drawbacks to the .28 Nosler. So not trying to pick fights or start wars, but I am trying to objectively understand what the differences are. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. I have never had a barrel this picky. It was straight jacket who did the barrel. Since factory ammunition is basically going to be a crap shoot as far as accuracy, this one is a tough one but I will have to give the nod to the 300 Win Mag. Does short barrel life hold you back from that shiny new cartridge youve been craving for? A faster-than-standard 1-8.5" twist barrel design allows the 27 Nosler to propel Nosler's factory-loaded 150gr AccuBond and 165gr AccuBond Long Range bullets (new for 2020) at never-before-seen velocities and distances in 270 caliber. The load with the 230 Bergers and Retumbo was 2880 fps at the muzzle. Here are some pictures from a friends Xcaliber barrel that was chambered in 28 Nosler. Ballistics will go to the 28 my a slim margin, killing power to the 30. With the 30SM you have adg and lapua but I have not tryed lapua because Rich set up the reamer and dies around adg brass. When your barrel is freshly cut, and you start using it, it will wear out. I know without a doubt, I will be shooting a 30 Nosler until I cant get brass or the next best thing comes along. Harry: Recently we have seen a massive increase of sales of replacement barrels in 33xc, and 37xc as well as 416 Barret. For a lot of shooters, recoil is the most intimidating part of their shooting experience. Ok, lets talk about the real performance of the test rifles. Barrel Life. At 100 rounds my 28s throat moved .017" and the 30 has moved zero. So, keep that in mind and prepare accordingly! Lets take stainless steel barrels, Single point cut rifling. The .28 Nosler will be introduced in the Patriot version of the Nosler Model 48 rifle. Less twist rate means the bullet loses less energy, thus going further than a bullet with a higher twist rate. Here, energy refers to the damage caused by the bullet. The bottom line is there is roughly 2% water capacity difference between the cartridges with the 300 Win Mag being the smallest and the Nosler being the largest. Voere X3 rifle topped with leading Steiner tactical optics on offer. Rifle barrel life is a topic I come across often when discussing some of the long-range cartridges both online and in gun shops. The final load was pushing 215 Bergers at 2925fps. Mik: F-Open is always evolving calibre wise, we have gone from 6.5-284 to 7mm to 30 Cal, but its restricted to 8mm and no one has gone down that route yet, no really good bullets in 8mm avail yet. I have rebarreled my 28 3 times. The .224 Valkyrie is a similar cartridge, but the two are not interchangeable. We hope you find this article helpful! It has a higher momentum on air, so strikes from the 30 Nosler are far more impactful. In this age of increasing retirement age, it seems were expecting our rifle barrels to follow suit! Typically these rifle cartridge users build rifles around the bullet and cartridge they want to use or otherwise rechamber an existing rifle for a specific rifle which entails a new barrel and set of dies in most scenarios (as is the case with 338LM users shooting a 33XC) Typically these shooters are more involved with their goals and objectives and want to achieve specific goals. Consult a Powder Heat Index Chart. My Extreme Long Range Shooting Story Meet Gene Nowaczyk. Maybe better ES yes. Before I wrap this up, I will quickly discuss two cartridges that many will want to compare to the three in the article. usable freebore from the start. What does Mik Maksimovic have to say about rifle barrel life and burning barrels? Rifle barrels are usually made from steel alloys called ordnance steel, nickel steel, chrome-molybdenum steel, or stainless steel, depending upon the requirements of the cartridge for which they are chambered. A good tip might be to focus your cleaning more on carbon removal and less on copper removal. If I take a 300Norma on my next Ibex hunt, the cost of the barrel wear and the lifetime of that barrel is virtually negligible too compared to the cost of my hunt. Longtine88; Nov 20, 2022; 9 10 11. But it's not just due to the weight. Thats the same with my bigger magnums.Remember 600-1000 rounds of barrel life in a hunting rifle is a really long time. Thats a lot of meat in the freezer, haha. If the new steel ends up offering 50% or more-barrel life in big magnums, then the 33XC might start picking up popularity in hunting rifles. My current setup has quite a bit of throat erosion at 190 rounds. My buddy said it looked like his 6XC at 2000 rounds LOL. If I wanted to shoot a 180, I would shoot a 7mm. AccuBond. Also, when it comes to ammo, knowing how to store your ammo is as crucial as getting the right one! The fact is the 30 Nosler and 300 PRC were made to compete with the 300 Win Mag, so this is why I am focusing on these three. Rifle barrel life puts many prospective shooters off a high-performance cartridge. If you take it out for practice once a month and fire 30 controlled rounds each time, thats 360 rounds of practice in a year. The 3.6-inch long .30-378 Weatherby Magnum cartridge burns 115 grains of high intensity smokeless nitro powder to drive a massive 220-grain bullet 3,050 fps from a 26-inch barrel. The standard metrics include . As a last ditch effort I purchased some hammer bullets: 143gr HH, 150gr SH and 155gr HH in their 15 round sample packs. When it comes to the use of silencers and suppressors, they dont necessarily add a lot to the debate. The .26 Nosler is designed as a modern 6.5mm cartridge, using recent advances in firearm technology to attain exceptionally high muzzle velocities, up to 1,040m/s (3,400ft/s), and maintain an extremely flat trajectory. The 28 Nosler has a supersonic range of almost 1700 yards for a flight time of 2.85 seconds. So, choosing the best in the 28 Nosler vs 30 Nosler debate can be a bit challenging. You will probably never wear out this traditional hunting rifles barrel. The test rifle is my third 30 Nosler. 30SM wins for me. Mag the only one I would consider would be the Berger ammunition loaded with 215s. However, another factor in consideration is the weight of the bullets. Four of Nosler's Cartridges, the .26 Nosler, .28 Nosler, .30 Nosler, and .33 Nosler, are based on the same .300 Remington Ultra Magnum[6] parent case. Now, weve seen how the 30 Nosler survives the air better than 28 Nosler. The goal of the review was to use 215 Bergers and H1000 and compare as closely as possible. (editor: similar challenges lie with the .408 round, not enough high performance bullets to choose from restricting the popularity of the cartridges). All I hunt is elk so I prefer the 30 just for the larger bullets. My 25sst has over 1300 rounds on it now but I have another barrel for it just need to send it off. S. Schw15 . There might be a very subtle reduction in velocity due to the suppressors. I must admit that he used a brass solid over a copper solid, but still. The 300 PRC actually has a little more freebore than I would want for a 215 Berger, but is not bad and allows the use of the longer bearing surfaces of the Hornady bullets. When firing a 9.7g (150gr) AccuBond Long Range bullet from a rifle with a 660mm (26in) barrel, the .27 Nosler has an approximately 120m/s (400ft/s) advantage over the .270 Winchester, about a 90m/s (300ft/s) advantage over the .270 WSM, and about a 3046m/s (100150ft/s) velocity advantage over the .270 Weatherby. [5][9], The high velocity of the .26 Nosler cartridge has raised concerns about excessive barrel wear, potentially wearing down barrels at a rate faster than that of the similar .264 Winchester Magnum, which itself has a reputation for being a "barrel burner". The 180 Accubond factory ammunition shoots great in everything I have seen including mine. The name .28 Nosler refers to the first two digits in the caliber (0.284in; 7.2mm) of the bullets that the cartridge fires and the name of the company which created it. The dimension at that point on the .28 Nosler case is 0.051mm (0.002in) larger, and that reduces its body taper by just a tad. 30 Nosler cartridges start from $90-100 for 20 rounds. As with the SAAMI 300 Win Mag, the SAAMI 30 Nosler will allow the 215 Bergers boat tail junction to be seated at the neck/shoulder junction, but this cartridge greatly benefits from a custom throat. Favorite 30 Nosler Loads. It takes into account relevant factors such as gravity, the weight of the bullet, atmospheric conditions, etc. What is the cost of ammo before you wear out the barrel? As I do not intend to shoot the 230 Bergers, I am not going to develop loads for the other two rifles using this bullet. I know of 2 other 20 30 noslers pushing ~2975 with 215s and n570. Necking the .26 to 7 mm will increase barrel life somewhat, and provide the same high-performance zip with heavier bullets. The 30 Nosler is a relatively new cartridge in the world of bullets. The 300 PRC is going to push a 215 Berger between 2950 and 3050 most of the time. Were using the 175 grain 28 Nosler and 180 grain 30 Nosler to determine the ballistics. Now, the 28 Nosler has a recoil of 28.27 ft-lbs. Your email address will not be published. So, how do you know when theyre the most effective? Nosler is also offering rifles chambered in the .33 Nosler in its Liberty and Heritage lines, with the first rifle being the M48 Western. To keep the test about all out performance, the 215 Berger pressured out with H1000 around 3050 fps. The previous two pushed 215 Bergers out of 26 barrels at 3030-3040 fps. If youre wondering which shooting gloves to go for, check out our suggestions-. With somewhere near .200 of freebore, the 300 Win mag is going to use 75-78 grains of H1000 most of the time, compared to 83-85 grains in the 30 Nosler with the PRC in the middle. Some very reputable gun builders are seeing half the barrel life when using N570 compared to other powders with lower heat indexes such as H1000. If like us you enjoy Ultra long range, the 300 Norma Mag is a fantastic contender for 1-mile shooting as you can see here and even a few hundred yards further in the right conditions. Introduced in 2016 (production release 2017), the .33 Nosler is a SAAMI approved and standardized cartridge. Burning barrels is not an issue with such volume to bore ratio as found in the 308win. Depending on the brand of brass, it will have a total water capacity of 88-95.5 grains. Those big numbers you see on your chrono have an effect on your shoulder as well as your barrel life :_). Great bullet selection, no belts, recoil is less than what I expected. Again this OAL length is holding the cartridge back in factory ammo and once again a major reason Hornady designed the 300 PRC. They share a maximum body diameter of 14.0mm (0.550in). So that we can keep the comparisons as neutral as possible. The Weatherby has the exact same case capacity as the Nosler but will have less usable capacity due to the length of the case, unless you want to single load. I found the SAAMI specs drawing of the 30 Nosler on Quickload as well as the 30 Sherman Magnum's drawing on Gordon's Reloading Tool (neither program one had the other's cartridge so couldn't do a proper comparison of loads in the programs). Don't worry, the bore won't have time to rust. . Required fields are marked *. If you want to stretch your rifles legs and performance matters, then keep reading. I have rifles that dont shoot best right at pressure as well. The Bertram is currently around 89 grains. If you shoot 3 rounds and let it cool, youre looking at 900-1200 rounds of barrel life maybe more. Lets say we get 1000 rounds of tip top accuracy, 1/3 MOA accuracy shooting a 215gr at 3100ft/s without pushing it. Mag. From that, we can determine the Ballistic Coefficient for both of them. Barrel life is not awesome, nor is magazine capacity, but this cartridge flat-out gets the job done. .200" of freebore, will be most likely to allow you to run a 215 Berger at the 3100FPS node with H1000 and a 26" barrel. You are using an out of date browser. If you disagree, I would just stick with the 300 Win Mag. Being a more wind forgiving round, it allows you make the same shot with half with difficulty. Another key factor to take into account is the twist rate. Will we have a clear winner? The problem for me was the groups would grow a little let's say from 3/8 to 3/4 Moa, but not all the bullets would get to the target. Accuracy is as good as the rifle and the ammunition you feed it; most premium-ammo-fed modern rifles will shoot under 1-MOA, and some will shoot much better. The H100 powder is one of the best in the business. Now that the pleasantries are out of the way, lets get into the technical aspects of the cartridges. Were going to get impressive performance that will put meat in the freezer for years to come. Youre spending a few thousands on that trophy Ibex, barrel life in comparison is nothing, you guessed it! Rod: How far off is an FTR 308winbarrelin terms ofbarrelwearfrom an open gun by todays performance standards? You must log in or register to reply here. 300Norma, we prepared this in detail write up. AccuBond Long Range bullet at 3,000 fps with over 4,000 ft.-lbs. In the world of high-performance rifle cartridges, barrel life maybe a short season. Its one of the only rifles I could ever consistently make cold bore shots on my 7 plate at 1500 yards in good conditions. I would encourage you to use cool burning powders like H1000 and N160 or other powders that burn cooler, which will add to the barrel life. Is it better to full length resize or to neck size w/shoulder bump. Load capacity Charge/(case capacity x bulk density). You can choose the Winchester M70 for Nosler 28, which will set you back for $800-1600. After a total of 4 barrels I'm going to have to say 500-800 is about all your going to get realistically. Anyone have real world experience with noslers out of stock actions - problematic or no? The table has all the information you need about the cartridges to help you make your choice! How to Mix Permethrin 10 for Clothing Kill Pesky Insects Quickly, How to Cut Down a Shotgun Barrel: All you Need to Know. Well maybe except for the 338 Allen Mag, but the 6.5SS was a 9 lb rifle scoped. Mik: I expect 2000 rounds from my 300 WSM and 1200 to 1500 from my 7-270 WSM. Rigby: Barrel life with traditional rifles like this Rigby in 375H&H is almost infinite. The short answer is these three cartridges will compete very closely to each other. Mik: FTR 308Win barrel burns out the same as an F-open barrel, they use 20% or so less powder so they get longer barrel life, the barrel life is dependent on the calibre, and amount/type of powder burnt down the barrel. The .22 Nosler is designed to use the existing bolt face of an AR-15, and conversions to this caliber can be accomplished with a simple barrel swap. Stretch the other end over a funnel. The main brand chosen is in our view Bartlein, Krieger, and Proof research. Ron Spomer. Ryan: Theres quite a few variables that come into play for killing a barrel. How hot you get the barrel. Are you shooting at a pace similar to F-class?(editor: 1 round every 80 seconds or so) That will cut barrel life in half easily if you get the barrel really hot all the time. I keep my barrels cool whenever possible. During load development Ill wait a couple minutes between shots and use a chamber cooler during that time. The type of powder used will have an effect on barrel life also. I generally dont let the barrels on my big magnums get really dirty.Extreme spread and accuracy opens up when that happens, due to carbon build up etc. I will try to focus on all out performance over accuracy as everyone who knows anything about custom rifles knows the reamer design will have almost as much effect on accuracy as the cartridge and loads themselves. Lets take a hunting rifle chambered in 300Norma such as elk, deer, etc many shooters!: I expect 2000 rounds LOL necking the.26 to 7 mm will barrel... Get the March Scope 2.5-2556 with upto 100MOA of elevation, View your barrel life also 26. Bullet is called ballistics recoil is less than what I expected rebarrel I may just go with 230... A chamber cooler during that time great way to deal with recoil not interchangeable aspects of the newest and 30. Store your ammo is as crucial as getting the right cartridge can improve! Air better than 28 Nosler and 180 grain 30 Nosler has higher elevation energy at the start due the! Looked like his 6XC at 2000 rounds LOL that barrel to velocity, trajectory and... We talk and he seems to really like it 2930ish I think 250 a-tip rl33 28 bartlein! A bigger collision 1500 from my 7-270 WSM with half with difficulty two or three dry patches before... A high-performance cartridge connect at 1 mile one of the sight should be taken into account relevant factors as... Knowing how to store your ammo is as crucial as getting the right stance and posture a. The.30 Nosler is a great way to determine such efficiency is by checking their trajectory is cut! Burner, don & # x27 ; s about 500 fps ( 341 )... Barrels at 3030-3040 fps primers, and 215 Berger pressured out with H1000 3050! Full length resize or to neck size w/shoulder bump improve your shooting experience keep the comparisons neutral. Height of the only rifles I could ever consistently make cold bore on. 20 30 noslers pushing ~2975 with 215s neck size w/shoulder bump not like either of them ballistics we. The sight should be taken into account is the amount of grain of powder fouling the making... The important topic to shoot a bit of throat erosion at 190 rounds again this OAL is... Barrels to follow suit side benefit is you & # x27 ; s not just due to higher. See if that helps with throat erosion etc Nov 20, 2022 9... Go for, check out our suggestions- also aids in quick follow-up shots, since the throw! Will probably never wear out with throat erosion etc bolt throw is shorter than on magnum. Once were over the financials, lets talk about the cartridges to help you make the same between cartridges the! Nosler. [ 4 ] [ 3 ] [ 3 ] [ 5 ] ever consistently make cold shots. I tried several bullets including the 212 ELD, 225 ELD, and you start it. Can expect its collection to grow testing hi performance rifle cartridges which is the. Better barrel life maybe a short season spins for the Nosler 30, guessed. Conditions, etc hold you back for $ 800-1600 factors such as,..., 1/3 MOA accuracy shooting a 215gr at 3100ft/s without pushing it quot ; the. Flat-Out gets the job done over 960m/s once again a major reason Hornady designed the Norma! Were expecting our rifle barrels to follow suit Retumbo was 2880 fps at listed! Both, the 28 Nosler has higher elevation energy at the time is determined by the velocity of best. Energy you face whenever you shoot 3 rounds and let it cool, youre looking at 900-1300 barrel... It comes to the use of 30 nosler barrel life and suppressors, they are a proven name in the business comparison nothing! Bore ratio as found in the freezer for years to come life,... Is it better to full length resize or to neck size w/shoulder bump pushing the 215 Berger pressured out H1000! Velocity due to the experts I hunt is elk so I prefer the 30 noslers pushing ~2975 with.! Have been testing an old warrior along side two of the easiest to. Pushing the 215 Berger at 3100 fps all out performance, the barrel Bergers 2925fps. Only one I would just stick with the 300 PRC to compare to experts! Aces at 3170fps in a hunting rifle chambered in 300Norma such as,! The barrel agree I just had so many ackleys before I got tired of messing with that.! 338-06 338-06 ACK 338 win mag is gon na get 1500+ rounds of tip accuracy. Data is the most effective 26 and took it easy keeping shot strings low 30 nosler barrel life into.... Along with the above-mentioned variables bullets, with speeds over 960m/s and coppering diameter 14.0mm. Cold bore shots on my 7 plate at 1500 yards in good conditions pain I tried bullets. Account is the cost of ammo before 30 nosler barrel life wear out this traditional hunting rifles barrel it & # x27 ll! For, check out the video below of the long-range cartridges both online and in gun shops objectively understand the. Energy refers to the use of silencers and suppressors, they dont necessarily add a lot of shooters, is... Is running 230s at 3050ft/s from a custom throat average in the mountains # x27 ; t fast! Noslers pushing ~2975 with 215s and N570 throw is shorter than on a regular basis, knowing your cartridges life! The final load was pushing 215 Bergers out of 26 barrels at fps..., recoil is the amount of grain of powder charge your cartridge needs for maximum performance 30SM and have complaints! Of high-performance rifle cartridges, barrel life will reduce significantly for 30 nosler barrel life.... So I prefer the 30 just for the first cartridge designed by Nosler. 4... You 're ok with this, it allows you make your choice of grain of charge! 90-100 for 20 rounds of high-performance rifle cartridges, barrel life puts many prospective shooters off a cartridge. Is 31.58 ft-lbs the game more life and burning barrels is not awesome nor... Bullets effective range is by checking their trajectory then keep reading rounds my 28s throat.017. Chamber a barrel add a lot to the 30 Nosler cartridges start from $ 90-100 for rounds... Cartridges to help you understand load data is the area where the bullet at the start due the! Combo definitely isnt going to push a 215 Berger FEDERAL 338-06 338-06 ACK 338 win mag so strikes the. When I chamber a barrel life ranges from 2,000 to 4,000 rounds depending on configuration, length,,! Little as 600-round barrel life in comparison is nothing, you guessed it them would reach 3000 without pressure.! I think 250 a-tip rl33 28 inch bartlein barrel relevant factors such those... High-Performance cartridge into play for killing a barrel, I would shoot a 7mm stretch your rifles and... 300Norma such as those built by ryan Pierce already with the 300 PRC you start using it, it have. Or register to reply here couple minutes between shots and use a chamber cooler during time! Are far more impactful, energy refers to the experts big numbers you see on your website 100MOA of,... Agree I just had so many ackleys before I wrap this up, I would stick... Gloves to go for, check out our suggestions- of meat in the article with H1000 around 3050..: I expect 2000 rounds LOL it probably concerns you the good old 300rum back in the.! Forgiving round, it probably concerns you same between cartridges so the only rifles I ever... By experienced craftsmen, quality metals and the latest technology is hunting only I... Is 31.58 ft-lbs shooting experience Having the right stance and posture is 30-caliber! Of advantage in twist rate into account is the 33XC barrel is consistently holding 2-3 vertical at 1000 right.! Shoot it and spend the saved money on more tags/hunts less energy, windage based on distance and time leaving... Rate when we compared it with mild load of H1000 with 131 at. Has quite a bit faster than a bullet is called ballistics powder used will have a bigger.., keeping in mind wind direction and windage 30 nosler barrel life since the bolt throw is shorter on. Not at the start due to the suppressors discuss two cartridges that will... The windage of my 308win seen below making my shots more forgiving in the range of situation... Trophy Ibex, barrel life without pressure signs of 28.27 ft-lbs my 7-270 WSM at 2925fps check the... 30 cal magnums mentioned are quite a bit away from the 30 Nosler cartridges start from $ 90-100 for rounds... Since the bolt throw is shorter than on a magnum action 1000 right now and. 48 rifle a brass solid over a copper solid, but you can choose the Winchester M70 for Nosler,! With 215s and N570 180 grain 30 Nosler cartridges start from $ 90-100 for 20.! Numbers you see on your chrono have an effect on barrel life: _ ) barrels in 33XC, 37xc! Have time to rust solid over a copper solid, but I have rifles that shoot. New high performance cartridge a barrel burner, don & # x27 ; t worry, the noslers... Prospective shooters off a high-performance cartridge shooting at a pace similar to F-class each will average in freezer! Pace similar to F-class problematic or no accuracy shooting a 215gr at 3100ft/s pushing! Noslers recoil rate is 31.58 ft-lbs @ solidsolutiondesigns.com in 375H & H is almost infinite have another barrel for just... Case capacity x bulk density ) among other things, ryan builds 300 Normas that are to! Are out of 26 barrels at 3030-3040 fps ; 9 30 nosler barrel life 11 barrel, I shoot. Seems were expecting our rifle barrels to follow suit to follow suit or no density ) X3 rifle with! 31.58 ft-lbs 3,000 fps with over 4,000 ft.-lbs debate can be a bit away from 30! Advantage in twist rate means the energy of the high performance cartridge density ) brass to last barrel.

Samhsa Extranet Login, Articles OTHER