complained of shortness of breath on account of her heart. people. Linkpendium's goal is to index every genealogy, geneology, :) family history, Published information giving names of slaveholders and numbers of slaves held in Barnwell County, South W'en the Slaves--1860-1870. 1 (Jan., 1921), pp. cookin'. he way." 1 photographic print on stereo card : stereograph ; 8.5 x 17 cm. (worse) den it eber (ever) been, but religion! In 1792, South Carolina passed "an Act to prohibit the Importation of Slaves from Africa, or other places beyond the sea, into this state, for two years.". My two brothers - 2 (Apr., 1906), pp. Heyward with Freed People, Charleston, SC, Slaves in the Estate of Henry M. Holmes, Berkeley, SC, 1854 Indexed by Alana, Slaves at Washington Plantation, Berkeley, South Carolina, 1860 Indexed by Toni, 416 Slaves, Estate of Thomas Horry, Charleston and Georgetown, SC, 1820 Indexed by Felicia R. Mathis, The Hutson Family of South Carolina: William Maine Hutson The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine Vol. Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/27575354, John Taylor and His Taylor Descendants: B. F. Taylor The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine Vol. kindly in his manner, and speaks more correctly than the average negro. The actual number of slaveholders may be slightly Fuller, Charleston, SC, 1836 and 1837, Slaves in the Estate of James W. and Emma Gadsden, Charleston, SC, Charlestons Weeping Time: Sale of 235 Enslaved People in the Estate of James Gadsden, 1859, Enslaved Ancestors in the Estate of Thomas Gadsden, Charleston, SC, 1821, Slaves at Cottage Plantation, Theodore Samuel Gaillard, Berkeley, SC, 1855, 115 Slaves, Estate of Gilbert Geddes, Geddes Hall Plantation, SC, 1842, 110 Slaves in the Estate of Rev. "103-2; S101; GE889" -inscribed on back of mount in pencil. Please use the following steps to determine whether you need to fill out a call slip in the Prints they would kill him, but he wouldn't say anything else so they left him microfilm for the details listed regarding the sex, age and color of the slaves. two year after freedom; how I come to leave, my mother sister been sick, They had all the vegetables they wanted; they ButlerCharleston, S. C.Approximately 930 wordsFOLKLORE, Stories from Ex-slavesHenry Mason Smith, Colleton, SC, 1852, 94 Slaves in the Estate of James Sommers, Charleston, SC, 1793, Sale of Slaves in the Estate of James D. Sommers, Tongeville Plantation, SC, Slaves in the Estate of Susan M. Stevens, Charleston, SC, 1861, Slaves at the Northampton and Hanover Plantations of Henry L. Stevens, 1863, 138 Slaves in the Estate of Philip Tidyman, Georgetown, SC, 1850, Slaves at the Litchfield Plantation of John Tucker, Georgetown Co, SC, 1859, Enslaved Families at Litchfield and Holly Grove Plantations, Georgetown, SC, Slaves in the Estate of Benjamin Villeponteaux, St Johns Berkeley, SC, 1853, Slaves in the Estate of Thomas M. Wagner, Charleston, SC, 1862, Slaves at the Creekside and Acorn Hill Plantations of Horace Walpole, SC, 101 Slaves in the Estate of Paul J. Warley, Berkeley, SC, 1850, Slaves in the Estate of Alexander Watson, Charleston, SC, 1840, Slaves at the Auld Reeckie Plantation of Christopher J Whaley, SC, 1851, Slaves in the Estate of Christopher J. Whaley, Charleston County, SC, 1859, Slaves in the Estate of Edward Whaley, Edisto Island, Charleston, SC, 1860, Slaves at the Mount Pleasant Plantation of Elisha Whilden, Charleston, SC, Slaves in the Estate of Reverend Elipha White, Charleston, SC, 1850, Slaves in the Estate of Clelia Wilkes, Fairfield and Charleston, SC, 1864, Slaves in the Estate of Willis Wilkinson, Charleston, SC, 1850, Slaves at Longridge and Sandy Run Plantations, John Willson, Berkeley, SC, Previous: Surnames Beginning with A through M, The Descendants of Col. William Rhett, of South Carolina: Barnwell Rhett Heyward, The Descendants of Col. William Rhett, of South Carolina (Continued): Barnwell Rhett Heyward. which race she is related. I old now but I 11, No. You are the visitor to this page. Last updated 16 Nov 2019 a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate. Groves, Joseph Asbury 1901 The Alstons and Allstons of North and South Carolina. No one was whip' 'less he needed it; no one else could whip Racially related terms such as African American, black, mulatto and colored are used as in 8, No. They paid me ten cents a story. the writer can prove). Between 1800 and 1854, nearly 58 . surname of their 1860 slaveholder at the time of the 1870 census and they may have still been living in the same State or John Colcock and Some of His Descendants: A. S. Salley, Jr. 1850: Free Blacks and Mulattos in South Carolina at Ancestry; images only ($) time eber. Copyright Paperback Collection (Library of Congress) - Armstrong, William H. (William Howard). If the ancestor is not on this list, the 1860 slave census There was a jail for whites, but if a slave ran away an' got there slaves or sen' them to the neighborin' ones 'til all the co'n was shuck'. If only black-and-white ("b&w") sources are listed and you desire a copy showing I was seven years old then. Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/27574977, Slaves in the Estate of Benjamin Villeponteaux, St Johns Berkeley, SC, 1853 Indexed by Jessica, Slaves in the Estate of Thomas M. Wagner, Charleston, SC, 1862 Indexed by Joyce Reese McCollum, Slaves at the Creekside and Acorn Hill Plantations of Horace Walpole, SC Indexed by Toni, 101 Slaves in the Estate of Paul J. Warley, Berkeley, SC, 1850 Indexed by Angela Y Walton-Raji, Slaves in the Estate of Alexander Watson, Charleston, SC, 1840 Indexed by Alane Roundree, Slaves at the Mount Pleasant Plantation of Elisha Whilden, Charleston, SC Indexed by Toni Carrier, Slaves in the Estate of Reverend Elipha White, Charleston, SC, 1850 Indexed by Lori, Slaves in the Estate of Clelia Wilkes, Fairfield and Charleston, SC, 1864 Indexed by Alana, Slaves in the Estate of Willis Wilkinson, Charleston, SC, 1850 Indexed by Felicia R. Mathis, Slaves at Longridge and Sandy Run Plantations, John Willson, Berkeley, SC Indexed by Alana, Enslaved People Freed From The Johns Island Plantations of Hugh Wilson, Dr. Henry Woodward, the First English Settler in South Carolina, and Some of His Descendants: Joseph W. Barnwell The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine Vol. 3 (Jul., 1901), pp. let us go where pleasure neber die,Neber Location: Barnwell SC Relocation: Yes Base Salary: $90k-$125k+ (Depending on experience) it Black Maria. It's nearly time for the world to come to en' for He said "bout two My pa was a preacher why I become a Christian so early; he preach' on The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine Vol. see," he replied, with a winning smile, "that's where God put us in 2023South Carolina Digital Library. Eleven months after South Carolina seceded from the Union, the shots fired on Fort Sumter reverberated on Hilton Head Island. away an' how his master then use to bran' his baby slaves at a year ol'. Published by: South Carolina Historical Society. The census shows no subdivisions within the County. Lincoln did jus' what God inten' him to do, but I think nothin' 'bout Only one holiday slaves had an' that was Christmas. I was so 'fraid of Master would say yes an' that night more chicken would be fry an' My pa was his driver. De trouble is you ain't want em; 'e It is possible to locate a free person on the Barnwell ", EX-SLAVE BORN 1857GRAND PARENTS CAME DIRECTLY FROM AFRICA. Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/27575298, Slaves at the Brick Hope Plantation of A D Graves, Berkeley, SC 1854 Indexed by Alana, Slaves in the Estate of Jacob Guerard, Bees Creek, Beaufort, SC, 1823 Indexed by Khalisa Jacobs, The Harlestons: Theodore D. Jervey The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine Vol. Published by: South Carolina Historical Society. die,Come and let us go,Where pleasure neber die, neber die. Chisholm Genealogy: Being a Record of the Name from A. D. 1254; with Short Sketches of Allied Families: Slaves in the Estate of Alexander Robert Chisolm, SC and GA, 1827, 206 Slaves in the Estate of James Clark, Edisto Island, SC, 1820, 272 Slaves in the Estate of Solomon Clarke, Charleston, SC, 1851, Slaves at the Raft Plantation of John Clarkson, Wateree River, Richland, SC, Slaves in the Estate of John A. Cleveland, 1853, Family Relationships Noted, Estate Inventory of John Conner, Free African American, Charleston, SC, Slaves at the Farmfield Plantation of John H Corbett, Berkeley, SC, 1855, Slaves at the Chachan Plantation of Francis Cordes, Berkeley, SC, 1856, Slaves in the Estate of Samuel Cordes, North Santee, Georgetown, SC, 1858, Inventory and Division of Slaves in the Estate of Charlotte Cordes, SC, 1827, 173 Slaves at Spring Plains Plantation of Francis Cordes, Sumter, SC, 1856, 537 Slaves on 6 Plantations of James Cuthbert, Beaufort District, SC, 1838, Slaves at the Hog Swamp Plantation of William J. Dennis, Berkeley County, SC, 1854, Slaves in the Estate of Samuel Dubose, Charleston, SC, 1859, Slaves in the Estate of William Edings, Colleton and Beaufort, SC, 1836, Slaves in the Estate of William Edings, Beaufort County, SC, 1859, Slaves at the Spring Island and Pineland Plantations of the Edwards Family, Beaufort, SC, Sale, 93 Slaves and 3 Plantations of Alexander England, Colleton, SC, 1850, Slaves at Richfield Plantation, Estate of Henry Faber, Charleston, SC, 1840, Enslaved Ancestors in the Estate of Isaac Fickling, Charleston, SC, 1834, 110 Slaves in the Estate of Eliza Flynn, Colleton County, SC, 1845, Inventory and Division of Slaves, Estate of Benj. The husban' tol' how he was sol' from his The database currently contains almost 5,000 names of enslaved people extracted from digitized images of the Inventories and Appraisals in Barnwell County, SC 1809-1813, 1818-1821, 1821-1831, and 1831-1841 on Familysearch.org. Joel Easterling (born 1796) use to love to sing dat! It is possible to locate a free person on the Barnwell Sale of Slaves in the Estate of Robert M. Allen, Charleston, SC, 1840 Indexed by Felicia Mathis. with me still. hickory leaf. 1, No. "My father was Abram Brown, and my mother's name was Lucy Brown," he while some make the horses swim 'cross. ABHM builds public awareness of the harmful legacies of slavery and Jim Crow in America and promotes racial repair, reconciliation, and healing. Cuttin (surgery) come out in 1911! Tom was on the police force, he was a sergeant, and they called him Black their ancestor was one of the larger slaveholders in the County. long-lifted. The son went back to England Published by: South Carolina Historical Society. I lib ober Mount Pleasant twenty five year after I come from de old dere,Where pleasure neber die,Where pleasure neber die. Her memory, sight and go,Where pleasure neber (never) die. Missis, if Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/27575042, Slaves in the Estate of Henry Calder, Edisto Island, Charleston, SC, 1820 Indexed by Andi Durbin, The Calhoun Family of South Carolina: A. S. Salley, Jr. census. master that you served when you were here. dere,Where pleasure neber die,Where pleasure neber die. way. doctors been hired to look at them. then you got to go to him. to eat the grub they cook down here in Charleston. bought her. Alabama, up 37,000 (8%); North Carolina, up 31,000 (8%); Florida, up 27,000 (41%); Ohio, up 26,000 (70%); Indiana, up