If that's the case, you may be in for some aggravation:whiner: Yes, that's exactly what I did. Lots of ways for this to be operator error. Is the mechanic going overboard? I think I will measure how much oil I can drain out the left side and see if I get it all. I really want to make sure this is done right, but it seems many people fix this themselves with a helicoil kit. I then JB Welded a plug using the bolt. Reviewed in the United States on . Cookie Notice timesert actually makes kit especially for drain plugs. Forget the tourch. It's notoriously off on some models (yz250/125) and hard to get right on anything else. You'll feel resistance build up much better. now if it was a drain plug, head bolt, spark plug.. etc yes go with helicoil. By Given this headache, there's no way I'm going to let new M14 threads get stripped if there's anything that I can do about it, so I'm not sure the added strength of the helicoil or time-sert would be necessary? Core. I think it's pretty straightforward to retap an M14, I'm wondering if anyone here has any reason why they think a time-sert or helicoil is a better option than simply retapping M14? An ounce or two won't hurt anything. JB Weld bolt extraction trick. We use cookies to improve your experience on this website and so that ads you see online can be tailored to your online browsing interests. Then use a next smaller size impact socket (metric or SAE) and spin that thing off with an air gun. We use cookies to improve your experience on this website and so that ads you see online can be tailored to your online browsing interests. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. The magnesium cover is too soft and thin to accurately install one. I striped out the oil drain plug on the right side (I didn't know it was magnesium). Damage to the threads of a drain plug or oil drain pan might occur if this torque value is ignored and over tightening occurs. I add a bit extra for clutchcooling as well so no need. By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of data and cookies. Report. There is just not much material to work with in that area of the case. EDIT: Bad title, the pan is stripped, not the bolt. I don't know how much luck you'll have after the JB weld temp fix. So not sure. A steel bolt in an aluminum case it's not hard to strip the threads. KTM Forums - Come meet sponsors, teams and the worldwide KTM forum community to discuss topics covering Super Duke, 500 EXC, RC8, KTM 690, 790, 990, 1190, 1290. I will say I've used them on cars with success. Some people suggest I use a helicoil type system. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. I haven't. But I just do it by hand because I can feel it. Kit includes the tools and 5 inserts for the repair p/n 1415A TIME-SERT thread repair kit drain pan Given the other little issues I've found im not completely surprised, sadly. What torque setting did you follow? Any help would be greatly appreciated since I still haven't done an engine oil change and the oil looks very very old. Before the work, I stuffed cotton balls (or a small rag?) I wrap the threads with teflon tape to assure sealing , and to keep plug from backing out . Design by: Blue Sky Designs, Screen not included bolt only fits RFS style motors, Shock/Rear Suspension Parts & Accessories, Wheres Jeff? The Universe is my way, Love is my law. Luckily, not the drain bolt. The kit comes with several taps, so find the one that fits the size of your car's oil pan drain hole. | Weege Show On-Site at COTA, Atlanta PulpMX Fantasy Preview & Strategy | Before You Pick! How to remove a stripped out KTM drain plug Moto Lab LLC 4.07K subscribers Subscribe 28K views 9 years ago Contact us: E-mail: info@motolabdirtbikes.com LEARN MORE:. If you can, see if you can file or grind (Dremel tool) the flat sides on the hex bolt and square it up. Core. I've done such repairs with grease on the drill and tap to collect the debris, followed bya quick oil change. My 125 has two drain plugs and one check plug. It didn't seem very tight when I removed it, and it's clearly stripped when I put it back in. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. It may not display this or other websites correctly. 99. I'd consider JB welding that bolt in there and leave it alone. Could I do a Helicoil on it without taking it apart? (oil & air), and fill my beautiful 1190 Adventure R with fresh new oil. The oil filtercover bolts are only like 4.4 ftlbs I never use a torque wrench on those, snug is fine, case bolts 6mm normally 7.4 ftlbs. You need to be a member in order to leave a comment. Yep, good point. You are using an out of date browser. Or is there another way? Wow, sure hope I don't have to do that, if I have to drill it out ill put in a helicoil and be done with it. We use data about you for a number of purposes explained in the links below. JavaScript is disabled. I decided to go ahead and do an oil change, and of course found that the previous owner was kind enough to pre-strip the drain bolt on the right side with the clutch cover. I did this on an old Honda XL 500 case. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.Copyright ThumperTalk, Inc. - All rights reserved.ThumperTalk is a registered trademark. Just get a new oil pan and a gasket and replace it. Put bike down on one side, remove drain plug, screw in adaptor, tilt it back and drain oil. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Lerxstdawg, Jun 1, . VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. This is pretty crude and may require stepping the hole up quite a bit. That's when you stop. ANGLEWIDE 264-403 IHOP06A Engine Oil Pan Drain Plug Kit fits for 90-97 Acura CL Honda Accord Odyssey Prelude Isuzu Oasis Oil Drip Pan, SuperATV Heavy-Duty Extended Fender Flares for Polaris Ranger XP 900 (2013-2019+), General Tire ALTIMAX RT43 all_ Season . Doesn't take much to pull the case, I would. Tomas Lira. The suggestion may be worth what you paid for it. Could I do a Helicoil on it without taking it apart? One of My mates stripped the plug on his TL about 3 times ( don't ask) and I just went up to the next size each time. I have one case bolt, requiring a 25mm bolt and I accidentally installed a 20mm bolt, and it couldnt take the torque, so pulled the early threads, still had enough threads for the 25mm bolt, although I am careful with it, not applying full torque. If you look at the parts fiche online it might list the size and pitch. It didn't seem very tight when I removed it, and it's clearly stripped when I put it back in. Previous owner must have done it. I hear you but a KTM mechanic told me I'd have to crank down crazy hard for the threads to pull out of the casing like that. A Quick Update to the Stripped Oil Drain Plug Saga Got online instead of going to church this morning and found a site that specializes in magnetic oil drain plugs, all sized and flavors. 1999 kx 250 questions. I coated it with red Locktite for now. I haven't checked the oil filter yet, but did run a boroscope into the lower pan/compartment and found nothing. No gloves. Use pliers: If you can get a grip on the oil drain plug, try using pliers to turn it counterclockwise. Once the damaged plug is out, a rubber plug can serve as a temporary . You may be able to drill, tap, and install a helicoil. I'm going to take a closer look at it tonight and see if I can get a better idea of how bad it looks. If you're careful, you can sometimes get them out with a chisel. You fill it until oil comes out. Privacy Policy. So to answer, yes KTM has different sized plugs. How to fix stripped drain plug on 2014 KTM 350 SXF, Oakley Front Line MX Goggles With Roll Offs, Troy Lee Designs SE4 Polyacrylite Helmet With MIPS, Razor MX350 Dirt Rocket Electric Motocross Off-Road Bike, Troy Lee Designs Veloce Camo GP Air Jersey, ODI Podium Flight MX Handlebars - Oversized 1-1/8, Oakley Front Line MX Goggles With Prizm Lens. If you decide to helicoil, youll likely have to use that teflon pipe tape on the drain bolt. For some reason oil plugs can get themselves stuck. First off, it might be difficult to remove, so avoid using vice grips, as those may strip the head. Small Business. I got a used bike back in the fall, Its a 2014 KTM 350XCF. Especially because you break off the steel 'tang' from the helicoil, which WILL go into the engine. The case job is like $3k. I coated it with red Locktite for now. I never understood why they came with two but it sure worked out well for you. It's an M6 bolt. You can download your owner's manual from the KTM website. I never use the check level plug. (1090/1190/1290) > Style . Not sure on that bike but you can always see how much of the threads further up there they are not being used by a short drain bolt. The bolt obviously will not go back in. When refilling, once oil starts to weep out of that hole, that is full. I play a mental game with the torque wrench. The case is aluminum. Good luck!!! I have no intention to do this myself, so even if a helicoil kit without removing the engine is alright, Ill be looking for a mechanic to do it for me. Maybe 12lbs. You need to be a member in order to leave a comment. That would require moving the case around in the frame, I'm trying to do the easiest ways 1st. This happens when the copper washer dents in. I believe it was M17 thread. Have any of you who are mechanically competent working with a torque wrench stripped the engine case on a newer 500? Thank you everyone for answering me questions. Amazon.com: ktm oil plug. Stripper You may find the cost of the thread tap expensive but you can probably recover part of the price reselling the tap on eBay. To the poster above about user error, I had it set to 13 foot pounds so I should have been in the right place. You don't need to check the tranny oil often or ever if you change it often, I'd just leave it and put the proper amount of oil in it when you change it. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.Copyright ThumperTalk, Inc. - All rights reserved.ThumperTalk is a registered trademark. Now the challenge. I've seen it on my car and truck too. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.Copyright ThumperTalk, Inc. - All rights reserved.ThumperTalk is a registered trademark. I would try and figure some way to get a little grip on it and impact it out. (KTM) > Hard. April 12, 2022 in 250-530 EXC-F/XCF-W/XCR-W. Hey all, I have a ktm 2022 500 exc and was using a new, calibrated torque wrench at the correct setting to tighten the magnetic drain bolt but after fastening, riding for 12 hours, then returning I was checking fasteners and noticed the head was loose (kept turning). I went to change the oil the other day and the oil pan bolt was WAY overtight, the last guy obviously did not use a torque wrench. I got it out know with a bolt grip set, I honestly have no idea what he did. Did you reduce the torque setting to account for oiled threads? When i changed the oil the magnetic plug never snugged down. It is a smaller plug that is a few inches higher than the drain plug. Only 1 left in stock - order soon. A long extension, that clears the foot peg, helps. Discover more about the small businesses partnering with Amazon and Amazons commitment to empowering them. Tepco Cycle Repair 15.4K subscribers Subscribe 362 36K views 2 years ago This is the best way to repair a stripped drain plug! But in the end, is it safe? Read more. By If it's not too mangled you can take it to a hardware store and test out nuts until you find a winner. I just dont want to order the wrong size again. Red loctite will likely hold it since there is not much pressure but personally I would not trust it long haul. By After the 1st rounding of the engine oil drain plug with a 6 point snap-on socket, I tried using vice grips but they would just slip, and after my brother and I hammered on a 1/2 inch 6 sided snap-on socket over the original 13mm plug, rounded that too. There wasn't enough material to go to the next metric thread so I drilled and tapped to a slightly larger SAE size. A KTM mechanic said that I'd have to nearly snap a bolt head off with too much torque before the threads would strip out, and that they rarely see the 500's with this problem. If you in any way, shape, or form feel like you do not have the skills and finesse required to complete the job, ALWAYS have a certified technician perform the job.MotoLabDirtBikes.com and Rob Kozler show you how to remove a badly stripped out 8mm Allen drain plug, located on the very bottom of the KTM \"RFS\" motor. It's an M6 bolt. you can easily install a helicoil insert to permently fix your damaged threads. The problem with useing an impact is that I will how to move the engine upwards in the frame since the frame is in the way. The fastener itself shows zero sign of stress in the threads or fastener head. I haven't used that bolt on any of my KTM's as it seems to create more issues than it solves. Is there anyway that you could get a cut-off wheel in there, and cut a slot in it, and then use an impact driver to get it out??? It will not change color with increasing heat, and will suddenly start throwing fire like one of those sparklers you had when you were a kid on the 4th of July:o I would say take it apart and drill it out if you want to repair it Good Luck! What He said. Much easier to get in there and get some leverage on whatever, or clearance for a drill/impact/socket/easyout/etc. signal15, Hunter Yoder Addresses Random Teardown and his Run-In with Cole Thompson at Glendale SX, Its Contract Year.. Cheers #15. crazybrit, Feb 26, 2013 #16. crazybrit Defying any self identifying. We are talking his KTM 500 oil filter cap fasteners not your Husaberg. Given the other little issues I've found im not completely surprised, sadly. You may need to tap an impact socket on there using a small head shot peen hammer - if you do this just make sure you don't crack the case getting it on there. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. I hardly 'cranked' on it at all. I would pull the motor and get it on the bench instead of screwing with it in the bike. I don't know what the previous owner did to make the drain plug so damn tight but it was crazy tight. Usually it's not the bolt that is the problem. Justin Brayton Weighs In | PulpMX Show 540. No chips may stay inside the cases. Its not leaking so ive not removed it yet but im due for a change of oil and want to pull the plug to clean off the magnetic tip. Top subscription boxes right to your door, 1996-2023, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. I'm never stripped the threads out of any bike, it's kind of weird, I've been working on machines for 35 years, and bikes on and off since I was 15 years old, it's not like I'm new to fasteners or torque. Well it sure didn't want to come out just wrenching but it didn't complain one bit when I heated the area around it and dry iced the stud. Ride on! Time-Sert M14x1.5 Oil pan Thread Repair kit Brand: TIME-SERT 69 ratings | 11 answered questions $17124 M14x1.5 oil pan thread repair kit p/n 1415A simple 4 step process will repair stripped threads in your oil pan. Guys is ther any other parts i mite need to replace. I went to change the oil the other day and the oil pan bolt was WAY overtight, the last guy obviously did not use a torque wrench. It's coolant, mainly, seems to be coming from the top hose into the engine. 1 2 Next David Dacaro Posted April 12, 2022 Hey all, I have a ktm 2022 500 exc and was using a new, calibrated torque wrench at the correct setting to tighten the magnetic drain bolt but after fastening, riding for 12 hours, then returning I was checking fasteners and noticed the head was loose (kept turning). Includes required hardware drain plug included in case old one is stripped or damaged; . Only show this user. I just put in the required amount. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.Copyright ThumperTalk, Inc. - All rights reserved.ThumperTalk is a registered trademark. Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mortaldemon, Mar 28, 2019. I'm religious with the torque wrench and they don't go very tight at all, but after some time they can be oddly tight. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Discussion in 'Hard. What's a good permanent fix for it? I will say I've used them on cars with success. You fill it until oil comes out. https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amp/torque-lubrication-effects-d_1693.html. I gather this is KTM 125 or 200 since you have drain plugs on both sides. Magnesium represents a very specialized fire risk. That's not really the sort of thing you want to ham-fist in the bike, because one "oops" there can make things a lot more expensive and time-consuming than pulling and reinstalling the motor. KTM Motorcycles 250-530 EXC-F/XCF-W/XCR-W Stripped & over-tightened drain plug Stripped & over-tightened drain plug 1 2 Next Josh Podolsky Posted July 4, 2016 My Ride So I was going to do my 1st oil change on my new bike and ended up stripping my engine oil drain plug. Helicoil repair. Don't use a torque wrench. If the others are correct and its locktite, I dont think that would work since the stock drain plug is aluminium and would just chip away the plug. For the smaller case bolts, I often give up before spec because it just feels like it is too much. Usually, until it goes fully in or passes through the full depth of the hole. Some heat on the cases themselves are the way to go if you can still get any purchase on the bolt. Just spin it in until it stops. Or is there another way? Previous owner must have done it. Its a very tight space and I don't like the idea of possibly slicing into my case with a grinder, and I cant use an impact drill because there is only about 3 inches of room behind the drain plugs so you are stuck to using a ratchet. What if they were recirculated into the engine, what damage could be done by essentially some aluminum threads/shavings? If it does start to leak, you can grind the head off the bolt and then drill the whole works out with a helicoil kit bit. At any rate, has anyone done anything like this? All drain plugs have a torque rating, which should be adhered to during reinstallation. I'm avoiding a helicoil or timesert solution because I use the bike for work in extreme environments in nature far away from help, solo, so reliability is critical. Man, Grenzig, that stinks. Stripped oil plug. As I can find that one. Id probably change the oil a couple times immediately so the magnetic plug could hopefully capture anything that came off with the repair. A torque wrench is a must when working on KTM's. Good luck and don't give up! It's a very small amount of torque. Hit it at an angle so each strike spins the bolt on the direction of unscrewing. I know beta sells a drain plug repair kit. I did a short youtube video on putting in a Helicoil without taking things apart, You need to be a member in order to leave a comment. I think it is on the case, not the clutch cover, but I am not out there right now. One of my concerns is having to punch metal INTO the pan. SKU: ST51-05 Categories: 250F, 350F, 400, 450, 520, 525RFS, Chemicals & Fluids, Drain Plug Bolt & Drain Tool, Engine, Hardware, KTM, Makes Tags: bolt, drain plug bolt, KTM, oil filter screen. By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of data and cookies. The bolts are usually hardened steel. Just staying focused on the OP's issue. You may not even have this bolt. The bolt obviously will not go back in. Or apply this to your own technique! FREE delivery Wed, Nov 30 on $25 of items shipped by Amazon. Previous owner must have done it. Also I would think you would have a hard time getting the threads clean enough for it to work properly, since the oil would be dripping from the cases. Should be here Monday . On my KTM, there is a plug for checking the oil. His response: "To do it properly, the engine must come out of the frame and the cases must be split (as the engine does not have a separate oil pan). The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. Oil Filter Screen Drain Plug Bolt for KTM & Husaberg $ 20.95. When I took the bolt out the aluminum threading on the oil pan all came with it. I suggest not doing anything more to it. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. I would guess 30-40ft-lbs would do it. . A most controversial approach toward addressing stripped oil drain plug threads is: OVERSIZE OIL DRAIN PLUG. Impacts do wonders when I create problems. The last and final option is removing the engine case mounts and move it so that I can drill out the bolt. Im trying to get my hand and wrench agree. Most guys I know that have attempted a helicoil on that bolt have failed. Add to cart. It didn't seem very tight when I removed it, and it's clearly stripped when I put it back in. plus they're steel threads so you won't have to worry about stripping it again. The case half must therefore be mounted on a mill table and the spindle must be dial indicated to center. As pawpaw said, theres little material there and it likely wont seal. Cross-threaded it so the threads broke apart. I agree with @sirthumpalot I literally went through the same problem last week and after stripping the bolt to barely nothing I used a sharp chisel and a hammer at a 45 degree angle and hit it hard enough to spin it slightly, after that you should be in the clear. At some point it will "slip" and get loose for, maybe, 1/8th of a turn. All went well until the rear engine drain plug required removal. I could upload some picture later if anyone wants to see. Might work; my assessment: "If it SEALS, it HEALS!" . By We did the Irwin and just ended up tearing more material off the head. Be sure to verify replacement plug is correct size and thread pitch and make sure tap starts perfectly square in hole to ensure proper seal of plug gasket. Dont need to know! I wonder if it's the large surface area on the sealing washer? KTM track racing, adventure stories, KTM 50 fix-ups and more. Stripped drain plug repair: Time-sert not Helicoil! Browse deals on bikes, gear, and accessories at VitalMTB.com. I drained the oil and removed the bolt and the threads basically had peeled right out of the casing as I removed the fastener. but yeah take your time, and if feels to much back off and leave it. as far as the drain bolt, m12 1.5 they have magnetic M14 1.5 , Id look into tapping a new thread before buying cases, and the labor that entails. Hello. Breaking In Our New Backyard! This will allow using the stock plug.