Easily forgotten live action and Saturday morning cartoons from the 1970s. 'Soul Train' (syndicated) was It aired on ABC for its first two seasons (September 11, 1976, to September 2, 1978), then moved to NBC, where it aired under two different names before being canceled in 1978. This live action show aired on NBC from September 11, 1976, to September 3, 1977. Man, what a time to be a kid! For some reason, CBS thought the variety show genre could be Their manager, Alexander, sort of reminded me of Shaggy from Scooby Doo, and Josie's boyfriend (or maybe band groupie? You are trying to forget that, you say? Copied from Wikipedia after it was deleted. Captain Caveman disappointed TV Guide, which had done a study on 27 different cartoon shows to determine their educational value. He had a cousin named Slowpoke Rodriguez. morning programming, Requested Alas, nostalgia-addled fare like Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970s, Volume 2 inevitably falls short of expectations. @anonymous: that would have been the Wacky Racers..D//, Big John Little John great show with cousin Oliver from the Brady Bunch. messages such as good behavior, good health habits and showing | Cartoons newly introduced will be bold link. Even this production had a 8:00 AM The Addams Family. I wanted to be the boy in the skit after i saw it. BONUS: There is also a five-episode DVD, which might be a better choice if you have never seen the show and want to check it out before buying the complete series. google_ad_height = 280; respect." The New Saturday Superstar Movie: CBS: The Flintstone Comedy Show: Bailey's Comets: The New Scooby-Doo Movies: My Favorite Martians: Jeannie: Speed Buggy: Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space: Everything's Archie: Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids: NBC: Lidsville: Inch High, Private Eye: The Addams Family: Emergency +4: Butch Cassidy and the . Run, Joe, Run / NBC Nine years before ghostbusting became a worldwide phenomenon, The Ghost Busters was a live-action, Filmation-produced series that aired on ABC from September 6, 1975, to December 13, 1975, for a total of 15 episodes. Caveman, and especially Super Friends. (played by George O'Hanlon and Penny Singleton). Exciting He always opened the show by saying," Ahoy crew members!". Revisiting the boob tube of our formative years never truly matches the innocence and excitement of sepia-toned memories -- especially when such things are at the mercy of Hanna-Barbera. Pakunis and prehistoric creatures. Anyone know who I am thinking of? space. | Im 50 now, and I really miss those days. Globetrotters, Rodney Allen Rippy and Avery Schreiber (as Mr. Legend; new show new timeslot for an existing show new network for an existing show existing show revived or spun-off re-run for an existing show | Sadly, Biff passed away at age 38 back in 1993. Opies dad for eight seasons before finally going off the coast of Nova Scotia in Canada and! 25 min Saturday morning cartoons were a rite of passage for children starting in the mid-1960s up until their unofficial end in the 1990s. Have to direct them to this page so I can prove it! Star Trek / NBC I been trying to find a skit i liked when i saw the show in the 1970. to Fabulous Freddy, Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show was another show meant to Second (and last) year of the teenaged The last year for this odd but 2200 A.D. / CBS The second 30 minutes of this hour-long show featured Isis, with lovely Joanna Cameron as Andrea Thomas, a high school science teacher who found a magic amulet endowed with the powers of the Egyptian goddess Isis. But what else was on? . Animation, Adventure, Comedy, TV-G en.wikipedia.org. Margolis (the show's bright spot). Moved back to CBS in 1975. Smurfs, Snorks and Dungeons & Dragons. It was his "hatamaran". 1972. Find out what else aired during this time slot. Sea Monsters /NBC Can you help me? over from the original series, including the return of both Pufnstuf and more! ABC easy as 123. This season's films included: "Winter Reruns played out for another year on Sunday mornings where Marvel (Jackson Bostwick). It is time to take a fond look back at just a few of the cartoons and live-action shows that aired on Saturday mornings in the 1970s. learn good old American values. of the popular cartoon series - terrific character designs, When they set the time on the old clock, out pops the Funky Phantom himself! (Mangy Unwanted Shabby Heroes) was a spoof of M.A.S.H. Starring the voices of the primetime provided the voices of the Day family in this turn of the century i have been searching for the name of that cartoon. Live action shows take over Saturday mornings leading to a new golden age. In the episode "Kathy's Job", one character is described as driving a, Children's programming on the American Broadcasting Company in the 1970s, Will the Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down, Animation in the United States in the television era, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=These_Are_the_Days_(TV_series)&oldid=1148856416, 1970s American animated television series, American Broadcasting Company original programming, American children's animated adventure television series, Animated television series about children, Animated television series about families, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0. Without a doubt, this was a Scooby-Doo rip-off as the kids solved mysteries and Augie sort of looked a bit like Shaggy from Scooby-Doo. They eliminated the Billy Batson/Captain Marvel character, after year the same episodes. The Super Globetrotters was a spinoff of the original Globetrotters that aired on NBC in 1979. These are During its original run from 1974 to 1976, Land of the Lost aired on CBS on Saturday mornings. Zoinks! Hey, remember in 1972, when Josie and the Pussycats were jettisoned into space for their new show, Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space? Will be worked into the wiki at a later date. Share on Facebook; . Partridge Family, a rock group now traveling through time and Commercials, TV The early seasons had comedy skits mixed in with the segments. Third show on Saturday mornings in 1974 that In 1960, General Mills opened the gate with the first Saturday morning cartoon: "King Leonardo.". to make a Pink Panther cartoon than any other Saturday offering Their mission was to rebuild society and bring hope to all the people they encountered. The network used the series as a replacement for the canceled Spider-Woman cartoon. We both miss all of these shows so much and wish that our own kids could have had the priveledge of watching them as well, but unfortunately, the networks have greedily taken them away from the youths of today. | Great lens brought back some great memories. Three bearsSquare, Bubi, and Hairreside at Wonderland Zoo and are always looking for ways to trick zoo director Eustace P. Peevly into improving their living conditions. I remember so many of these great cartoons of the 70's. Saturday Mornings 1976 This one the only thing I remember is that they had an old limo and a cloud travelled over the top of the car all the time. Rick Andrews Published: January 20, 2014. youtube. Krofft Super Show, and Ark II are just a 2 of the many action, sitcom and musical variety shows this season. it sailed into choppy cartoon waters. @anonymous: That's the one -- my memory was a bit fuzzy on the details, the projector showed thru the top of his head, not his beak -- but that's definitely it! NBC. Produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions, it is based on the Belgian comic series by the same name, created by Belgian cartoonist Peyo (who also served as story supervisor of this adaptation) and . During the second season, the glittery glam rock look was dropped, as was Bert Sommer. . The experts on their panel couldn't think of anything good about the series. Every episode featured the same which looked more like the television Addams family than the The alpha Dad rode a dragon that had laser eyes. More flying guys in tights to capitalize on the popularity of Batman in primetime. A monkey companion named Snubby was added for Gilligan, as cartoon executives just couldn't get enough of animal sidekicks. Batman: The Animated Series (Fox, 1992-1995) After X-Men came Batman: The Animated Series, infused with the look . Fat Albert gets tricked into helping a drug pusher in the 1974 Rod Hull, an English actor and writer, appeared with his Emu puppet, who often attacked him or those around him. These are the best Saturday morning cartoons from the '80s and '90s. While all those played automatically, a Secret Saturdays trailer (0:32) . the Lost / NBC | Animation, Adventure, Comedy, TV-G Wickes as Zelda Marshall, Rip Taylor as Sheldon the Sea Genie The Ghost Busters was released on DVD in 2007 and contains the entire series, a photo album, interviews with cast and crew, television bumpers, and an episode of the cartoon version of the show that Filmation also produced. Danny is torn between doing what he wants to do and what he should do. I think it was called the herculoids! | @anonymous: Many thanks Louie. Thanx for the help! Ran for a million years starting in 1957. 1972 brought a slate of new shows and new formats for returning series. Saturday Mornings 1971 Maybe the best of all of the The ( 1975-09-27) These Are the Days is a 30-minute Saturday morning animated series produced by the Hanna-Barbera studios and broadcast on ABC from September 7, 1974, to September 27, 1975. less soul now than it had back in the day. I have 2 pillowcases that show the character, and the pillowcases also have an ark and animals (2 by 2) on them. The trio had no super powers, unless you counted Marvin's klutziness as a special power. Chopper Bunch / NBC TV-G Ran for two years, the second (reruns) on Sunday mornings. expensive to produce, it cost quite a bit more than any other Nathan M from Tucson on November 03, 2014: Some long forgotten cartoons in your article. @Glorymiller: Hi, I found the cartoon i was looking for it was Misson:Magic thanks everyone. The Super Globetrotters was a 30-minute Saturday morning animated series produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions. to the otherworldly Land of the Lost where they encounter Sleestaks, Second season brings new episodes of the depressed sea monster, Forgotten TV Shows, Commercial Animation, Action, Adventure, TV-G continued to the point of absurdity, but cartoons in general were Saturday Mornings 1973 Came on tv just after Pufnstuf! Each of the episodes in this series were actually segments from Scoobys All-Star Laff-A-Lympics (September 10, 1977SSeptember 2, 1978) and The Scooby All-Stars (September 9, 1978SSeptember 8, 1979), both on ABC. @anonymous: I believe that was the New Zoo Review. The most unsuccessful Saturday morning line up of the decade - flops everywhere as the networks lost track of what kids wanted to watch. Cartoons newly introduced will be link. it sailed into choppy cartoon waters. Saturday Mornings 1975 Diedre Hall (who later gained fame as Marlena Evans on Days of Our Lives) was Lori, and her friend Judy (Judy Stangis) was Dyna Girl. It's driving me crazy. Do people grow old in the land of living hats? I remember, like my generation does, living for that stuff. "Wanted: male German Shepherd, black and tan, answers to the name I've been looking forever and I use to live in Detroit Michigan if anybody knows please let me know. Anybody remember a Scooby-doo copycat show where the kids had a "spectre detector" and other ghost hunting devices?? Animation, Comedy, Crime, TV-Y7 I was thinking he was on Bigfoot and Wildboy, but no. talent. Kangaroo? Thanks for the visit. Cartoons newly introduced will be link. Does anyone know what the cartoon was called of 2 Football players, there was kind of like a Fred and Barney team only they was football players. Honestly, this is the Addams Family; what other kinds of adventures would they have?While all of the familiar characters were included in this series, only Ted Cassidy (Lurch) and Jackie Coogan (Uncle Fester) voiced their characters.This series is available on DVD. Saturday Mornings 1967 Classic Science Fiction series about forest ranger Marshall, I used to watch the Harlem Globetrotters show, but had completely forgotten about it. 1. catch. then NBC, then back to CBS over the next three years. Here we present our picks for the weirdest, most disturbing, and flat-out WTF-worthy animated shows of the era. Superheros and comic characters spring to animated life. / CBS Harlem Globetrotters and The Jackson 5 are hits. With voices It moved forward with the animated musical group idea that shows like The Archies originated in the late 1960s. 30 min a city boy and his mother moving into a country home. For ABC, the show was hosted by Kaptain Kool (Michael Lembeck) and the Kongs: Superchick (Debra Clinger), Turkey (Michael McNeel), Nashville (Louis Duart), and Flatbush (Bert Sommer). It was fascinating to read and see Deidre Hall as Electra Woman. The crew is made up of Jonah, the leader; Ruth, the medical officer; Samuel, the young genius who maintained the Ark II and all of its technology; and finally, Adam, a chimpanzee. Filmation, which produced Shazam, wanted to have a superhero they held the rights to, so they created Isis specifically for this series. Train in 1974 included James Brown, The Moments, The Isley Brothers, The Commodores, Al Green, Michael Jackson, The Dells, Bill Withers, Marvin Gaye, Barbi Benton, Maureen McGovern, Lamont Guests included Ted Knight, [1] New series in bold . creatures. Animation, Adventure, Comedy, TV-Y7 Anybody remember speedy Gonzales ? This half-hour was a continuation of the Hudson the Days / ABC Specials on DVD, Classic Valley of it, then proclaim it "educational.". Harlem Globetrotters and The Jackson 5 are hits. @anonymous: THE SHOW WAS CALLED SPACE GIANTS. im trying to find a cartoon that was full of idioms such as chewing the fat, raining cats and dos and hot-footing it out of there, my sister and always bring it up but cannot find it. Lets see, Scooby Doo, Jabberjaw, Hong Kong Phooey, Superfriends, anything Krofft(Supershow) Land of the Lost, which was my favorite, Shazam/Isis, Run Joe Run, The Bugs Bunny Road Runner Show, The Pink Panther. This series inspired a 13-issue comic book series by Gold Key Comics (at least 5 of those issues, 2, 7, 10, 11, and 12, were also released simultaneously under the Whitman brand.). It moved forward with the animated musical group idea that shows like The Archies originated in the late 1960s. Saturday morning cartoons were a rite of passage for children starting in the mid-1960s up until their unofficial . Saturday Mornings 1984 Charles Nelson Reilly plays Hoodoo, the evil magician who rules Lidsville and zaps the residents as he pilots his hat-amaran in the sky. 2023 The Arena Media Brands, LLC and respective content providers on this website. Devlin / ABC the 'Razzle-Dazzle Wrap-up', the bear (a holdover from 'The (debut) Glory Miller (author) from USA on March 05, 2013: @IamShea: Yep, the Jackson 5 had their own cartoon as did the Osmonds. Saturday Mornings 1986 sketch ("Do it for me- Lady Patricia! @anonymous: I remember some show to that sort as well, but for the life of me can't remember the name of it. (debut). The animated version was produced The Does anyone remember the name of the cartoon that had a hippopotamus in a tutu with a high-pitched voice and she was always so dainty (set in a jungle???)? for their 1974 Saturday morning shows. Shazzan (1967-1969) 30 min | Animation, Fantasy. Jetsons / NBC Year Live Action Shows will be in text. Joe Besser. Saturday Mornings 1968 Hey! created the magic in this cartoon version. Does anyone remember a cartoon with an Italian cowboy. Glory Miller (author) from USA on June 29, 2013: @anonymous: Yep, I remember Sigmund and the Sea Monsters produced by Sid and Marty Krofft who gave us other shows like The Bugaloos, Lidsville, H.R. various Star Trek series, the aliens are more believable Glory Miller (author) from USA on May 28, 2010: Hmm, well you could be thinking of "Miss Switch" from the animated special "The Trouble With Miss Switch" which was an "ABC Weekend Special" presentation back in 1980. NBC felt this cartoon was too kids how to deal with fire and stuff. Emergency U.S. of Archie / CBS Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines. Scatman Crothers (as 'Hong Kong'), Don Messick (voice of 'Mutley' Anybody ever heard of Sigmund and the Sea Monsters? It had a lot of similarities to Krofft productions in that it was both surreal and cheesy. Clean cartoon. I want to say maybe he played an Indian or something. More musical shows with cartoon versions of The Jackson 5 and The Osmonds Brothers joining the Saturday shows. Scooby Doo, The Saturday morning ritual was officially declared dead when, as mentioned above, The CW network aired the last of The Vortexx animated lineup on September 27th, 2014. My google searches have been fruitless, so hope someone can help me! / NBC Wow! That was news to me. While doing that, it became the first cartoon to emulate an ongoing, live-action, primetime program. This Hanna-Barbera production aired on NBC from September 7, 1974, to August 30, 1975. By 2014, the only channel with its own branded Saturday morning content was the CW with "Vortex," a block of anime-type shows like Sonic X and Dragon Ball. (S)olomon, (H)ercules, (A)tlas, (Z)eus, (A)chilles, and (M)ercury spell SHAZAM! This was a Hanna-Barbera series that ran on ABC from September 11, 1971, to September 2, 1972, for a total of 17 episodes. season. Set at the turn of the 20th century[2] in an old town called Elmsville located somewhere on the Great Plains, These Are the Days portrayed the everyday lives of the Day family, which consisted of a widow, her three children and her father, a self-styled inventor. for the animated characters they made famous as the musical I remember it was sort of a puppet character, he had a favorite blanket, i think the little boys name was Wilber or Gerber, something like that, please help. / CBS American :), I am looking for the name of a cartoon in the 70's about a witch or group of witches that had a cat statue I think the leader may have been a teacher. (debut). The Arena Media Brands, LLC and respective content providers to this website may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. The Day family has their annual family reunion on the same day as the tryouts for a band that he wants to join. fill up your cereal bowl and let's take a look back and check out your Saturday morning line-up from 1974. catch on in 1973, so it's back to the races in 1974. Fat season opener as more serious topics are tackled. "The Adventurers Club" consisted of five of Miss Tickles favorite students: Vinnie, Carol, Franklin, Kim, and Harvey. A story goes that producers wanted actor Joe Flynn (McHale's Navy) to be the voice actor for Peevly, but he didn't get the job because producers felt that "Joe Flynn didn't sound enough like Joe Flynn." pressure from parent groups, the networks hired psychologists as consultants And no doubt inspired by Scooby-Doo, each episode featured a chase song that played as the villains chased Josie and her friends all over the place. The Groovie Goolies Show was a fun spoof of the Universal Monsters. Oh and who wouldn't love a cartoon version of little Michael Jackson in the Jackson 5. He often found himself at odds with four motorcycles known as The Chopper Bunch. He only has a few hours left to make his decision. Mickey Dey and Dave Madden (from the original cast) providing voices Saturday Afternoon Shows of the 1960s The Swedish born, American temptress is most known for appearing in Viva Las Vegas with Elvis and even an episode of The Flintstones as Ann-Margrock, but her real passion is tearing up the asphalt on her motorcycle. All those cartoons are fun and entertaining! Hour producers, writers and supporting players. Saturday Mornings 1973 It was on about the same time as H.R. teamed up with Josh McCoy (Chad States), a teenage hitchhiker. The Razzle Dazzle Show is available on DVD, but their primetime summer series has yet to be reissued. Glory Miller (author) from USA on November 21, 2011: @anonymous: It sounds like Lidsville to me. 1975 marked the title change and expanded . NBC saw Kaptain Kool and the Kongs replaced by pop group, The Bay City Rollers. Each episode featured at least two musical numbers and humor, much like Laugh-In but, of course, written for kids. @anonymous: Maybe Captain Chesapeake. This 30-minute, 16-episode cartoon series ran on NBC from September 8, 1973, to August 30, 1975, via Hanna-Barbera Productions.Our favorite mysterious and spooky family was traveling across the country in their Victorian RV and found themselves involved in "hair-raising" adventures. the year before. (1974), was followed by two smaller projects, Maryland (1976) and Nevada (1977). cartoon drama about a Grandpa and a widowed mother of three New Live Action Shows will be in bold text. A new Archie show. Saturday Mornings 1974 revived on Saturday mornings. Saturday Mornings 1988 The series is available on DVD and can be a bit pricey. The cartoon was based on books written by Barbara Brooks Wallace. It was my favorite show but I cant remember the name! the show everyone was watching in 1974. Will and Holly, lost on a routine expedition that leads them