Wendle isn't starting Wednesday against Atlanta. I laughed at Danny and told him he didnt need to spend his energy thinking about Wendle. I know that his body awareness on the soccer field translated extremely well to the wrestling mat as well.. Call (800) 327-5050 or visit gamblinghelpline.ma.org (MA), Call 877-8-HOPENY/text HOPENY (467369) (NY). This led to Wendles highest-profile placement to date: A #7 ranking by Baseball America among second base prospects, and the enduring label: grinder with a good bat.. Use of any marks, trademarks, or logos on this website shall not constitute a sponsorship or endorsement by the trademark holder. You want them to build a team that hits .290+ and yet youre complaining about how they let Brian Anderson go and just last week you were saying how you couldnt wait for them to rid themselves of Garrett Cooper? Right wrist fracture. So we were keeping track that way and I was also able to relieve a little stress through fishing and what not.. McCue recalled hearing about their brotherly games of sting-pong, as well the pranks the boys traded. But its also prospect talk. Oakland Athletics traded 2B Joey Wendle to Tampa Bay Rays for Player To Be Named Later. The team does have other infield options however, such as Garrett Hampson, Jon Berti and Jordan Groshans, so the Marlins could look to trade Wendle as well after he had a .259/.297/.360 slash line with three home runs, 32 RBI and 12 steals in 101 games last season. Tampa Bay Rays activated 2B Joey Wendle from the paternity list. If the doctors find something, then its what the doctors find. Well goodness, whyd you trade him, then? 5) and Peyton Burdick (No. They were tendered contract offers by Miami on Tuesday night. Joey was small but he could really hit.. Joey Wendle doesnt really have a third-basemans arm, and routine throws sometimes go offline since he needs to put more behind them than a prototypical fielder at the hot corner. But when Wendle landed on the injured list with a right intercostal strain after playing just three games, Miami turned I love the kid. Joe Wendle signed a 1 year / $6,000,000 contract with the Miami Marlins, including $6,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $6,000,000. Wendle was scratched from the Marlins' lineup Monday due to oblique soreness, Jordan McPherson of the Miami Herald reports. I didnt quite get that move either. Wendle went 1-for-3 with a double in Friday's split-squad game against the Cardinals. Wendle is back to doing baseball activities after a week-long shutdown for a right intercostal strain. Tampa Bay Rays placed 2B Joey Wendle on the 10-day injured list. Joey Wendle has 0 home runs this season and 30 home runs over his career. If Wendle was Ellis he should have been playing shortstop. Every day, I look forward to coming in -- between the staff and the players, the guys who you spend every day with. And to make things worse, is along the way, she makes sure to not miss her interviews, public appearances and other self-promoting items. Joey is everything you look for in a player: an incredible worker, a great teammate, a leader on every team he has been on, Antonetti said. Akron RubberDucks activated 2B Joe Wendle from the 7-day disabled list. He was very aggressive and loved going forward in the attack. 5 games in and Im just watching because of my love of baseball and the Marlins. You win with guys like Joey Wendle.". The veteran had a strong bounceback in 2022 after struggling with injuries and underperformance in the preceding seasons. CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. Commissioner.com is a registered trademark of CBS Interactive Inc. site: media | arena: mlb | pageType: profiles | Strained right shoulder. All Rights Reserved. Since Lindgren tossed 80 pitches last night, he likely wouldnt have been available for a few days. Wendle had just a .595 OPS against southpaws last season, so the lefty-hitting infielder will take a seat Friday against David Peterson. The two sides settled at $4.55 Joey Wendle profile page, biographical information, injury history and news Joey Wendle - Miami Marlins - news and analysis, statistics, game logs, depth charts, contracts, injuries Skip to main navigation There is no panic in his play at all. Hes not the type of player you build a team around. Their Opening Day second baseman did not matter. We've selected the following players based on their age, contract status, and statistical production to compare Joe Wendle to. Jon Berti will take over for him at shortstop and bat ninth. in Wilmington, DE Where does Joey Wendle go to get his apology? And dont look now, but Brian Anderson looks healthy in Milwaukee. And of course he had a great senior season.. Wendle is a week removed from suffering a right intercostal strain and isn't ready to ramp things back up yet. Still we argued. 14) ranked higher among outfielders in Miamis system, Gold Glove-winning catcher Jacob Stallings. No-power, no-walk second baseman isnt a profile that succeeds in the majors.. The average of these values becomes our current calculated market value. He replicated that line nearly exactly during the first half of 2021, before fading down the stretch (performing 17% above league average in the first half, 9% below average in the second). Ben Wendle calls him a goofball., People say I have an old-man sense of humor, Wendle said. The 32-year-old has never really held a starting assignment over a full MLB season -- he's topped 500 plate appearances only twice in his career, with his career high being 545 -- and the Marlins' late signing of Jose Iglesias would give them an option at shortstop if Wendle proves he's better suited for a utility role. The 32-year-old second baseman currently plays for the Miami Marlins of Major League Baseball. Oakland Athletics designated 2B Joey Wendle for assignment. Right hamstring strain. Joey Wendle has played for 3 teams; the Oakland Athletics, Tampa Bay Rays and Miami Marlins. Considering that it was Ng that nixed the extension discussions in the 2020-21 offseason that the Marlins were in with him before she was hired, this may not end well for Ng considering all of her other questionable decisions in running the team. For the rest, Arraez is also better because he stays on the field. Joey Wendle has played for 3 teams; the Oakland Athletics, Tampa Bay Rays and Miami Marlins. How many World Series has Joey Wendle won? Joey Wendle has never won a World Series. What is Joey Wendle's Twitter account? Joey Wendle is on Twitter at JoeyWendle. What are Joey Wendle's nicknames? Mendle, Big Bopper are nicknames for Joey Wendle. This information might be about you, your preferences or your device and is mostly used to make the site work as you expect it to. left orbital fracture. In regards to staying in shape, Wendle has a home gym where he's able to work out and has been able to toss the baseball with his brother. Oakland Athletics optioned 2B Joey Wendle to Nashville Sounds. Hes kept his walks down to a 7.5% clip and gotten grounders on 44.5% of balls in play. He reminds me of Mark Ellis, hes got a lot of the mannerisms and style of Mark., Its not necessarily fair to Joey because of who were talking about, but if you look on paper and say, 'Second baseman, incredible makeup, great work ethic, coaches rave about him, great defense, yes, Mark is the normal comparison, As assistant general manager David Forst said. If theres one thing baseball statisticians are bad at its projecting the jump from minor to major leagues; and if theres one thing theyre good at its quantifying the impact of major league production. Tampa Bay Rays traded 2B Joey Wendle to Miami Marlins for CF Kameron Misner. Theres a hole in his swing which right-handed pitchers have increasingly exploited. He is NOT really good at all! But the Marlins had 5 SPs that could easily start for the RS, and Perez, Meyer & Sixto in the minors. By Darragh McDonald | April 4, 2023 at 2:40pm CDT. Wendle has remarked in other sources about the impact the physical therapist had on him. Theres already Were in Asian Americas peak media moment. GDT: I hate brooms. Theres nothing wrong with that. He was designated for assignment in January when Cuetos signing became official but cleared waivers and stuck with the organization, now getting his roster spot back. He missed almost the whole baseball season that year, McCue recalled. Carolina Mudcats activated 2B Joe Wendle from the 7-day disabled list. It was only 184 games, and the BABIP was still high (.338). A laughable comp. Positions: When Cueto departed with his injury, Lindgren stepped in and tossed five innings of emergency long relief, allowing four earned runs, four walks and three hits without recording a strikeout. Slussers book about the As, 100 Things A's Fans Need to Know and Do Before They Die, came out in 2014 and she and As radio announcer Ken Korach released a new book, If These Walls Could Talk, Tales from the Oakland As Dugout, Locker Room and Press Box, in 2019. "It makes a big deal whether or not you want to come to the ballpark every day," Wendle said. I dont think any player has caused as much bitter debate between writers during my 12-year tenure in the DRaysBay community as the mild-mannered Wendle. And he understood that if you were good, it doesnt matter, theyll find you. The Marlins placed Wendle on the 10-day injured list Tuesday with a right intercostal strain, Craig Mish of the Miami Herald reports. Wendle started 58 games as a freshman in 2009, hitting .325. It shouldnt make too much difference, but do you really want a 33 year old to learn a new position? Jordan Groshans is starting at the hot corner and batting seventh. We go in search of what makes Wendle who he is. "Joey's a really good player. Wendle agreed to a one-year, $6 million contract with the Marlins on Friday to avoid arbitration, Craig Mish of SportsGrid.com reports. WebMiami Marlins sent 2B Joey Wendle on a rehab assignment to Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp. "I think one of the great things similarly to Avi Garca is that you can put him at different positions, and we can be flexible with it. Use without license or authorization is expressly prohibited. And surely the Rays wouldnt fall in love with Wendle just because he played the game the right way. They werent run by Plaschke. In order to do that, you need a mix of offensive types. Watching his brothers play, the whole D-I thing, Rector said, Joey just wanted to play. What do you do when the translation doesnt play to script, and the 28 year old rookie hits better against major league pitchers than he had against minor league ones? These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. Its very high praise from those of us who know Mark well, but Joey has lived up to all of that and more in the first month of camp.. Wendle sat out last nights game due to oblique soreness, which has now been diagnosed as a strain. To make room for Wendle on the 40-man roster, outfielder Lewis Brinson was designated for assignment. Miami Marlins activated 2B Joey Wendle from the 10-day injured list. Though 2011 was a bit of a down year for Wendle (he hit only .346 and his OPS dropped to .906) and for West Chester, he again excelled in another wood bat league the summer following the Coastal Plains League where he finished second in the league in hitting at .377 over 53 games for the Edenton Steamers while setting a league record for hits. Just looking at the pieces that are in place, I'm excited -- I really am to get to work.". As a freshman, he saw little varsity baseball time, partly due to his size and partly due to the experience of the Avon Grove team that year. Marlins' Joey Wendle: Out of lineup in Game 1 on Monday Rotowire Sep 12, 2022 Wendle is not in the starting lineup for the first game of Monday's doubleheader with the Rangers, Christina De Nicola of MLB.com reports. Weve been so fortunate to have a left-handed-hitting infielder with Joeys versatility and defensive acumen everywhere you play him -- good luck finding that combination," Rays president of baseball operations Erik Neander said. We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are the property of Minor League Baseball. The guy has been given a ridiculously embarrassing level of job security for such an injury-prone meh player. Does Cueto still have a mop for hair? During the summer, the late bloomer blossomed. Entering Thursday's series finale against the Cardinals, he had the highest on-base percentage (.382) and third-highest OPS (.802), with hits in eight of 10 games. However, blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience of the site and the services we are able to offer. He plays all over the field, he plays hard, he's prepared. Wendle, who cannot become a free agent until after the 2023 season, provides versatility with above-average defense at second base, shortstop and third base, where he was named a finalist for the Rawlings Gold Glove Award. Miami Marlins placed 2B Joey Wendle on the 10-day injured list retroactive to September 19, 2022. All this culminated in landing him as a pre-season All-American selection before his junior year. E-mail: sslusser@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @susanslusser. We've heard nothing but great things in terms of his personality in terms of his leadership skills, and really what he brought to that Tampa Bay club, so we couldn't be more excited.". He is expected to return in late April. As parents, we all want our children to grow up to have the character of Joey Wendle.. It just feels to me like too many moving pieces. Jon Berti will start at shortstop and bat ninth Tuesday night against the Twins and right-hander Kenta Maeda. When I was younger, my father was my coach and he played in high school, and he would always say, you can control two things: You can control your attitude and you can control your effort. According to FanGraphs, Wendle has accumulated 0.1 Wins Above Replacement. And then Joey was kind of a complete package. Wendle, 33 later this month, was bumped up to the clubs top shortstop option with this offseasons trade of Miguel Rojas to the Dodgers. Hed normally have to wait 15 days before rejoining the team but an exception is made when someone is placed on the injured list. Joe is a natural athlete so whichever sport he was in he excelled, Dave Whitcraft, Joeys soccer coach, told us. Some high school data is courtesy David McWater. We're not where we want to be on the field, but we're 11 games in, and we know we have a talented group and we still believe in ourselves.". Garrett opened in the season in a long relief role but was optioned just yesterday. When he did eventually make his way onto the diamond, it forced a short term position shift, moving the shortstop over to second base. I dont blame Marlin players. Odds and lines subject to change. Heres when the deadline is for all counties. Carolina Mudcats placed 2B Joe Wendle on the 7-day disabled list. 1. Tampa Bay Rays activated 2B Joey Wendle from the 10-day injured list. That second baseman is Joey Wendle, who is batting .346 this spring. Signed thru 2023, 1 yr/$6M (23), Service Time (01/2023): 5.088 WebJoey Wendle page at the Bullpen Wiki 2023 Marlins 2023 Marlins (1-4, 4th place in NL East) 40-man Roster Schedule Roster Sandy Alcantara Luis Arraez Matt Barnes Edward Cabrera JT Chargois Jazz Chisholm Jr. Garrett Cooper Johnny Cueto Bryan De La Cruz Dylan Floro Nick Fortes Yuli Gurriel Jess Luzardo Andrew Nardi A.J. Anderson should be on 3B, with Wendle as his backup. Ben was an outfielder and a incredible hitter, but not as big as Andy. Data Provided By Pitchers that throw strikes have a hard time neutralizing guys that can hit for average. West Chester University of Pennsylvania (West Chester, PA). When Joey Wendle made the Opening Day roster in spring of 2018, DRaysBay managing editor Danny Russell was distraught. Both of those guys are injury prone, which is one of your complaints about Cooper, but guess which one is closer to that .290 hitter you believe teams should stock up on. He sent in Wendle to pinch run. Guys that can hit for average are a key part to an effective lineup because pitchers that throw strikes are still getting hit by guys like Arraez and Jeff McNeril types. Eventually a player hangs around the majors long enough that they transcend their profile and become the profile. Except for Rogers, they all pitched well, so it wasnt a matter of more minor league development. Rector credits much of this toughness both to Wendles fierce competitiveness, but also to his older brothers, who never let him their little brother off the hook. Joey just wants to be a good teammate. As a member of the Rays over the past four seasons, he reached the playoffs three times, including the World Series in 2020. Browse our online application for MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, EPL, or MLS player contracts, salaries, transactions, and more. Lindsey Wendle. Joey Wendle is a Second Baseman, Third Baseman and Shortstop. Miami Marlins placed 2B Joey Wendle on the 10-day injured list retroactive to May 12, 2022. Tampa Bay Rays sent 2B Joey Wendle on a rehab assignment to Durham Bulls. A strong summer in the wood-bat New England Collegiate League followed, where Wendle got the opportunity to compete against more advanced talent. August 31, 2016 They never sat and cried about it, they thought of a way to get back at the other one., McCue also gives credit to Joeys parents, Scott and Carol. Throw.. The Indians, though, needed a left-handed hitting slugger and didnt want to go the free-agent route. The Marlins have placed infielders Joey Wendle and Brian Anderson on the 10-day injured list, tweets Jordan McPherson of the Miami Herald. Like I said, not everyone can have studs. In his stead, Castano will likely take over the long man gig. The SPORTS REFERENCE and STATHEAD trademarks are owned exclusively by Sports Reference LLC. The youngest Wendle brother was also the smallest, topping out a 55 in high school, and ranging from 120 to 150 pounds. I blame the front administration, namely GM and scouts for taking team to sucking to whole new levels. Shortstops need an arm, too. Do you have a blog? But since 2018 hes been the 83rd best position player in baseball by fWAR, just behind Joey Votto and ahead of Giancarlo Stanton and Brandon Belt. He struck out just 15.7% of batters he faced but limited walks to a tiny 5.1% rate. It shows a lack of confidence in the rest of the pitching staff of 13 when you have to ship someone out because they cant pitch multiple innings for a couple days. He had offers from St. Josephsand West Chester (Pa.), a Division II school. Segura shouldve been an addition for 2B. Isnt a high batting average the ultimate goal anyway? 2B Joe Wendle assigned to Cleveland Indians. In 2023, Wendle will earn a base salary of $6,000,000, while carrying a total salary of $6,000,000. He is expected to return in late April. 21,252nd in major league history) Miami Marlins placed 2B Joey Wendle on the 10-day injured list retroactive to April 3, 2023. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but some parts of the site will not then work. Wendle started the last three games and went 4-for-13 with a run, an RBI, a walk and four strikeouts, but he'll be out of the lineup for Wednesday's season finale. But his greatest asset in the coachs mind remained his mental game. And hes very hungry, wants to learn, so good all around its just very Mark. They have not hit but a couple (at best) of trades and/or draft choices. Court strikes down Berkeleys first-in-the-nation ban on natural gas, Your Privacy Choices (Opt Out of Sale/Targeted Ads). Do you have a sports website? 21+ (18+ NH/WY). If I saw 20 at bats that summer, I bet you he got like 12 or 13 hits. Joey Wendle hit .300/.354/.435 over 545 plate appearances in 2018. Joe Wendle assigned to Mahoning Valley Scrappers from Cleveland Indians. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. Guys that cant hit, but keep the bat glued to their shoulders hoping for a walk are only effective against pitchers that are struggling with the strikezone. The kind of guy who, when asked the responsibilities of his current position on an application, responds with, Hit. Oakland Athletics placed 2B Joey Wendle on the 10-day disabled list retroactive to March 30, 2017. The Miami Marlins plan at shortstop to start the season was simple enough. Wendle, 33 later this month, was bumped up to the clubs top shortstop option with this offseasons trade of Miguel Rojas to the Dodgers. It was his junior year. =========================== It does not affect him, it never has. The two sides settled at $4.55 million, according to MLB Network insider Jon Heyman. Hell have an additional year of club control beyond that. Win Expectancy, Run Expectancy, and Leverage Index calculations provided by Tom Tango of InsideTheBook.com, and co-author of The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball. Joey Wendle, a seasoned utility player who impressed enough in limited playing time at the position last season, would get the majority of the playing time.. Infielder Joey Wendle will be named to the team on Saturday as a replacement for an injured or withdrawing player. Hes a grinder and a worker and a guy who will get to everything in his power. Heres how chilly it will be. Honestly, after two months and two interviews, we at DRB dont really have enough facts to opine on the relative interestingness of Joey Wendle. A native of Wilmington, See terms at draftkings.com/sportsbook. For me, its simple when I compare the two with benefit of the doubt. Its not known how long he is expected to be out but even mild oblique/intercostal strains can lead to weeks-long absences. Many historical player head shots courtesy of David Davis. Its fair to say that Joey Wendle is a no-nonsense guy. Long-term the shortstop position needed to be opened for rookies Wander Franco and Taylor Walls, but having Wendle around raised the short-term floor. Subscribe to Stathead Baseball: Get your first month FREEYour All-Access Ticket to the Baseball Reference Database. Yaquis de Obregon placed 2B Joey Wendle on the reserve list. I thought Mike Hill was as bad as it gets and how I was wrong. Its easy to throw the label, special assistant Scott Hatteberg said. Miami declined Wendle's $6.6 million mutual option for 2023 in November, but he remained under team control and will have a slightly lower salary. Find out more. Eligibility restrictions apply. "You hear some stories of [a place] just not [having a] very good atmosphere, and that's certainly not the case here. You can kinda see why they use all those gritty scrappy gamer cliches to describe him. But where was Wendle when that call came? 2B Joe Wendle assigned to Carolina Mudcats from Lake County Captains. MIAMI -- Joey Wendle is no stranger to winning. The 32-year-old had a .259/.27/.360 slash line with three homers and 12 steals in 101 games last season, and he could open 2023 as the Marlins' starting shortstop after Miguel Rojas was shipped to the Dodgers. BTW, hitters do it too when they are in slumps that are bringing their batting average, OBP, SLG, and OPS numbers down. Not just his ability, but the person that he is, too.. This is a carousel. Though McCue was a little hazy on which brother pulled which prank, two in particulary that stood out in his memory involved a booby trapped ceiling fan, which led to retaliatory drywall screws in a stick of deodorant. Joe Wendle assigned to Lake County Captains from Mahoning Valley Scrappers. We present them here for purely educational purposes. Wendle is eligible for salary arbitration for the second time. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you which amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. With the White Sox last year, he tossed 158 1/3 innings with a 3.35 ERA. But during one particular district game, Rector thought it would be a good idea to get the youngster some experience. I remember him showing up for the start of his freshman fall being about 3 taller than when I had last seen him.. Joey Wendle hit .300/.354/.435 over 545 plate appearances in 2018. It wouldve been an easier transition for Jazz to move over to SS than it is for CF. The Marlins also bolstered their bullpen by adding Louis Head in another deal with their intrastate rivals earlier this month. She is the Giants beat writer. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising. On two separate series in Boston, DRB had the opportunity to talk with Wendle in the Rays locker room before a game. Joey Wendle was drafted by the Cleveland Indians in the 6th round of the 2012 MLB June Amateur Draft from West Chester University of Pennsylvania (West Chester, PA). I watched Joey play several times during the summer between his junior and senior year of high school. He has a Twitter account, but hasnt tweeted since December of 2016. Bat talent is a funny thing because it can look very different depending on the decisions a player makes about his swing. Fishing. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. Joey Wendle is from a totally different small southern Chester County town. At the Arizona Fall League, the toolsy Misner went deep on seven of his 16 hits for the championship-winning Mesa Solar Sox. Eligibility restrictions apply. Well, well see how Anderson does this season. Cooper should be wearing another uniform. All rights reserved. And while I do want a bunch of .290+, even as batting average is undervalued now, do you think Ng would be the GM to make that happen? During Wendles freshman year, the Avon Grove varsity team was stacked, so Joey saw little playing time. Gallego makes the Ellis connection without prompting. It wasnt that Wendle elevated his talent in the latter part of 2018, but he shifted to a portion of the spectrum where that talent was visible; where it was expressed in K%, a relatively less noisy statistic. And everyone whos seen Wendle play is nuts about him. Joe Wendle assigned to Cleveland Indians. He is a guy who had a couple decent seasons at a time when MLB was using a live ball, and when you compare him to other players during that same time frame he is a meh player. Cleveland general manager Chris Antonetti is among Wendles biggest fans. Copyright 2000-2023 Sports Reference LLC. A's prospect Joey Wendle, playing for the minor-league Akron RubberDucks. He made his debut with the Marlins last night but departed after throwing just 30 pitches, having already allowed four runs while recording only three outs. If Wendle was Ellis, Oakland would have known it and held him for a bigger trade. Right hamstring strain. All business. Hes played the three infield positions to the left of first base as well as some time in center and left. That should settle this. Im just not sure how you can give anderson the benefit of doubt of when healthy he is but then call cooper an injury prone meh player, when in reality healthy or not all the advanced metrics point to cooper actually being the slightly better of the 2. Wendle, though, doesnt think he is like anyone except himself. We've expanded our play-by-play data for the 1914, 1921, 1922, and 1923 seasons. Wendle would end up with three homers during the double header sweep to open the season, and the Golden Rams never looked back, rolling through the PSAC and winning their first ever D-II National Title while piling up a 46-10 record. Click on the different category headings to find out more and change our default settings. When you visit any web site, it may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. Barring an unexpected trade, Wendle appears poised to take over as the When it turns out hes not no-walk, just a little bit lower than average walk? And hes not no-power, just a little bit lower than average power? And a close study of his plummeting strikeouts suggests that actually this guy has bat talent? Towards the end of 2018, fellow writer JT Morgan noticed something weird: Joey Wendle had stopped striking out. He could probably play any positionbut he was a smooth-handed middle infielder.. Joeys instincts are off the charts.

Aluminum Downspout Extension, Articles J