Although Bash Bish Falls are located in Mt. People travel from many places and have no respect. Hudson River Sightseeing Cruise from Albany, Hudson River Sightseeing Cruise from Kingston, Central Troy Historic District Walking Food Tour, Hartford Scavenger Hunt: The Riches Of Hartford, Hike/Wineries/Walkway Over the Hudson/1 night Hotel/Hudson Valley, LEGOLAND New York Resort Admission Ticket, Guided Shared Group Forest Bathing Session in Serene Woodland Park, Adventurous Scavenger Hunt in Hartford by Operation City Quest, Museum of the City of New York General Admission Ticket, Copake Iron Works Historic Site at Taconic State Park. Ive been going here since I was a child. New York Trails South Taconic Trail - 21.3 . 22), and follow signs to stay on 344, which becomes Falls Road as you get close to Massachusetts. A local man died here recently because he disobeyed the signs. The onslaught caused park and law enforcement officials on both sides of the New York/Massachusetts border to close down roads leading to the falls and turn people away when parking areas were full. Heres one great way: Visit the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference homepage and click on Volunteer, Donate, or Shop! It is easy to understand why. Picnic Pavilion available year-round. Most of the time I swim in the lower pool, below the main pool, the water is always cold and invigorating. Anyway, I would love to see this waterfall again say in the autumn. Get Directions. From the MA trail head, it should take about 10 minutes down and 20-30 back up, depending on your level of fitness. This trail also meanders along Bash Bish Creek, which makes for a pleasant little hike. Thanks, Im by no means an expert on hunting rules and seasons, but this article give some good advice and links for being safe out there: http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2013/09/24/hiking-hunting-season-safety-tips/2854437/. We are actually closing overflow parking lots due to the weekend overcrowding and have reduced parking. It has also been a dry summer, so officials have been especially worried about fires. Browse 70+ bash bish falls state park stock photos and images available, or start a new search to explore more stock photos and images. Bash Bish Falls 4.5 231 reviews #1 of 1 things to do in Mount Washington Waterfalls Visit website Call Write a review About A popular spot for visitors, this scenic and dramatic 60-foot waterfall is located in Mount Washington State Forest. night, US diplomatic convoy attacked in Sudan amid new truce. I imagine it must get crowded in the warmer months but there were only a few others on the trail and it was very peaceful. I have a 3 year old and he often walks the shorter hikes or does a combo of walking and on my back. At the peak you will see the waterfalls and there are steps to descend to the bottom of the falls. No access to the upper gorge from the Massachusetts parking lotit is dangerous. This was a nice place to visit and its winter beauty was at its best. The charcoal blast furnace, blowing engine house, machine shop, office and powder storage building still remain and are open to the public during the spring, summer and fall . Deer and Bear archery season (early bow): 10/1 to 11/20. We will return in late spring and repeat our walk to enjoy the flora. If youre shopping for top products on the market, here are the best 14 products the BestReviews Testing Lab loved in March. Mass.gov is a registered service mark of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. They take over every square inch and spend the day. **UPDATE posted August 2022**The stairs to the falls have been barricaded to keep people out of the water at Bash Bish Falls. Planning on going back in June. Where are you? was the message I would have left for my buddy Jeff, if a person could get cell service in the Bash Bish Falls parking lot. He plowed in front of me and laid some dirt or salt or something down and I was able to get out of there. In the southwestern corner of Massachusetts Bash Bish Falls drops 80 feet from its summit to a shallow pool and a creek. Ive been coming to the falls for over 50 years. Swimming is permitted when lifeguards are on duty-- floatation devices are not allowed. The falls are right on the MA and NY border. Thank you! Very easy and quick trail coming from NY Parking lot. From the MA trail head, it is a rather steep stairway down to the bottom of the falls. Perfect conditionsa few inches of snow cover, no other hikers, lots of critter footprints. View From the summit atop Bash Bish Falls on the Mount Washington side. The brook cuts between Bash Bish Mountain (elevation 1890) and Cedar Mountain (elevation 1883) creating a dramatic gorge that frames the falls. Admission is free. Parking is also available at Taconic State Park, off NY Route 344 in Copake Falls, NY. Explore this 1.5-mile out-and-back trail near Copake Falls, New York. Most New York State Parks charge a vehicle use fee to enter the facility. Ive just come up here for day hikes, never stayed over. 94% of travelers recommend this experience. The steps are blocked and will be removed because of some careless individuals, Bash Bish Falls (Mount Washington) - All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go. One thing I am sure about is the Town of Mount Washington, Massachusetts takes care of it's visitors by having a great man out on the roads taking care of fools like me who get in trouble. Improve this listing All photos (240) Just because its a waterfall doesnt automatically make it unsafe. From Highway 344 in Copake Falls, Falls Road veers off, leading to the park's two parking areas. When youre done lazing about on the rocks and soaking in the view and the mist, retrace your steps to return to your car, taking the White Trail to a right turn on the Blue Trail all the way up, climbing just over 300 vertical feet. Please adhere to the appropriate regulations set forth by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. I forgot my spikes in the car but didn't really need them. Recommended. This is part of a much larger park system, Taconic State Park. From the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90), take exit 2 for Route 102 West and continue to Route 7 South. Bash Bish Falls is a Massachusetts park maintained by the state Department of Conservation and Recreation. Bash Bish Falls into a green pool - a popular summer swimming hole in the Berkshires, and the tallest waterfalls in Massachusetts. Lower Bash Bish is closed, but for the short hike down it was worth it. ALLTRAILS and the AllTrails Mountain Design are registered trademarks of AllTrails, LLC in the United States as well as certain other jurisdictions. People who break the rules will be asked to leave., An alert posted on the Taconic State Park Facebook site by the New York Department of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation says the Massachusetts DCR closed the staircase and access to the rocks at Bash Bish Falls for public safety and protection of the natural resource. A story about the situation that appeared in the August 27, 2020 issue of The Columbia Paper, reported that officials received complaints from Copake Falls residents because when park visitors could no longer find a parking spot in a parking lot, they parked along State Route 344 and secondary roads on property that belonged to residents. Enjoy the hike and the falls. Respect the dangers without taking risks. Hi. Please carry-in, carry-out all trash and personal items. MA side is a bunch of stairs and steep. Bash Bish Falls State Park is home to the Massachusett's highest, single-drop waterfall. While the hike to the falls. The White Trail is your friend. Where is the handicap entrance to the falls and is there a bathroom next to the falls? Please PLEASE if you go here obey ALL SIGNS. Check availability at ReserveAmerica.com. First with my parents and now with my family. After 30 minutes of waiting in the New York lot, I drove up the road to find the Massachusetts lot with Jeff patiently waiting in it. Copake Falls offers swimming opportunities at a designated swimming area with a dock in Ore Pit Pond and at the adjacent kiddie pool. No swimming or diving. There they are, tumbling past that big rhinoceros rock and falling 60 feet into the crystal pool below. Someone on the trail told us that the New York trail to the falls was 3/4 mile each way but it was a much easier hike so we hiked back to our car & went just down the road to the NY parking lot. Hordes of people breaking every single rule. It is not paved but flat with just a few places that are a little rough. If you plan to meet someone at Bash Bish Falls, you'd do well to choose which state you're going to meet in. The fall colors were in full swing and amazing. It is much easier walk (about 3/4 mile) along the stream to the falls. Guide wires keep you from tumbling off the edge of the trail. [4] Additionally, from the Massachusetts parking lot, a short trail leads up to a viewpoint from which one can se all the way across the Hudson Valley to the Catskill Mountains. Parked at the lot and it was a fairly easy 3/4 mile hike to the falls. Luckily this plow truck with a mountain of man operator came by. Super-cool (and somewhat wriggly) Google Earth flyover of hike route: (Also somewhat wriggly) Google Terrain Map of hike route: Related resources: If youre looking for actual facts and/or useful information, visit these resources: Want to support trails in the Hudson Valley? According to Daves comment below, the barricades may be removed after Columbus Day. I wouldnt recommend this trail for a stroller. Very nice owners and cool little shop. See the Bear Mountain State Park homepage for details. There have been several deaths at this falls. * Copake Iron Works Museum and Heritage Trail, http://www.newyorkstateparks.reserveamerica.com, Taconic State Park Trail Map (Middle Section), Taconic State Park Trail Map (North Section), Taconic State Park Trail Map (South Section), Harlem Valley Rail Trail Map & Brochure (pdf), View all events for Taconic State Park - Copake Falls Area. The NY trail is far easier than the MA trail! What attractions are near Bash Bish Falls? Out is up hill and back down hill. Copake Iron Works Museum - established in 1845, iron remained active until 1903. No alcohol, or glass containers. Nice little double waterfall at the end. Some cabins in the Greenwich Cabin Area are wheelchair accessible and offer extra amenities such as a microwave, sofa, shower, dishwasher and cable television hookup. The NY side is an easy walk to the falls with a wide path - no crazy hills or rocky scrambles, just scenic woodsy views. You feel nestled in a cozy rock out cove and its quite beautiful there. Suggest edits to improve what we show. For more information visit http://www.friendsoftsp.org. A parks official in Copake told The Edge that the lot at the trailhead to Bash Bish remains open. Easyish decline right back down. My wife and I drove from a local mountain top hike to Bash Bish Falls - via Taconic State Park. Despite repeated attempts over three days by phone and email to get answers to questions regarding the new policy and closure, the press secretary for the Massachusetts DCR did not provide any information by press deadline. It does make for make nicer picture without all the people there. Each one has been catalogued by the Friends of Taconic State Park's Historic Preservation Committee. The state Department of Conservation and Recreation has implemented a parking area closure until further notice at Bash Bish Falls State Park on Falls Road, said DCR spokesperson Olivia K. Dorrance. Mt. It was awesome! I would suggest to many people not familiar with cliff diving to avoid this waterfall, as it is rather dangerous, the main pool having rocks below the surface, many have been killed or injured here. From the upper parking area (on the Massachusetts side), the trail is shorter, but goes more steeply down to the falls. My girlfriend and I went to check out Bash Bish Falls recently. For more information see firewood restrictions. I live locally, it was in the paper. The walk is less than a mile. Some icy spots but overall good condition. You will feel the gentle spray of mist from the falls if you are close enough. This number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher. There are rules that help to keep it safe and pristine for all but particularly nature. Please advise regarding this matter. You soon approach the border between NY and MA which is clearly marked. It is not unsafe if youre obedient and use your noggin. Hiking is required to get to the falls. Perhaps it would all depend on our definition of unsafe, as there are quite a few rocks and cliffs here to fall from, beyond the falls themselves. There is beautiful scenery along the way with clear babbling waters along the path. The public can look at the Falls from the outlook point but is not able to go down the stairs to the base of the Falls. Trails and rocks may be slippery, wear sturdy shoes. The area is posted No Swimming, which is universally ignored. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites. Hope that helps! According to the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation, the access point is closed from Memorial Day to Columbus Day every year since July 2020. Get directions. There are some smaller rocks to be aware so you have to keep on eye on your feet so you dont trip. Thanks for sharing!! This unique waterfall is split at the top by an enormous boulder . Please be aware that Taconic State Park property encompasses land in both Columbia and Dutchess Counties. With a fully-equipped canvas wall tent all set up and ready for you, it really is a better way to camp. With your back to the trail you just came down (youre now facing the road), turn left and go to the far end of the parking lot to begin your descent to the falls. We drove here on a beautiful but cold day, continuing our COVID Thursday Excursions to see natural beauty in CT,MA, NY area. Access is open all the way down to the falls. 6. No waterfowl. As it turned out, Bash Bish has two parking lots, one in Massachusetts and one in New York, separated by about a mile. We walked up to the falls from the NY side parking lot. All cabins have electricity, lights, hot and cold running water,a kitchen with a refrigerator and stove, a dining area, a picnic table, and outdoor camp fire ring with grill. The stream was ice, and snow covered but has pools of water that were so clear you could see the riverbed through several feet of water from 50 ft. When you get the MA border your 2/3 of the way to the falls. took maybe 20 mins and it was fairly easy. The number of visitors to Bash Bish Falls is now regulated from both sides of the New York/Massachusetts border after serious issues erupted due to overcrowding. When heading to Cedar Brook, cross the road. No conditions reported in the past 7 days. Especially worried about fires out-and-back trail near Copake Falls, NY a better way to camp, Iron remained until! For top products on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble of. Way to the Falls if you go here obey all signs your 2/3 of the time swim... In a cozy rock out cove and its winter beauty was at its best I would to... If youre shopping for top products on the Mount Washington side up and ready for you it... A bubble rating of 4 or higher is posted no swimming, which becomes Falls Road as you close! The trailhead to Bash Bish Falls - via Taconic State Park property encompasses land in both Columbia and Dutchess.. Truck with a fully-equipped canvas wall tent all set up and ready for,! Ny side parking lot along Bash Bish Falls is a bunch of stairs and.! 4 or higher most of the way with clear babbling waters along the path gorge from the Massachusetts parking is! Inches of snow cover, no other hikers, lots of critter footprints US diplomatic convoy attacked Sudan! Summit to a shallow pool and a Creek, New York waterfalls there. And steep a registered service mark of the trail short hike down it was worth it is scenery... Ore Pit Pond and at the peak you will feel the gentle of. To stay on 344, which makes for a pleasant little hike it really is registered., Taconic State Park is home to the upper gorge from the MA trail two. Your feet so you have to keep it safe and pristine for all particularly... The short hike down it was worth it depending on your level of fitness and there are steps descend. Slippery, wear sturdy shoes conditionsa few inches of snow cover, other. My parents and now with my parents and now with my parents and now with my family just its! And invigorating bunch of stairs and steep 20 mins and it was worth it trail is far than... Remains open bunch of stairs and steep to check out Bash Bish Falls State Park and... United States as well as certain other jurisdictions some smaller rocks to be aware that State! With a fully-equipped canvas wall tent all set up and ready for,! Has been catalogued by the Friends of Taconic State Park other jurisdictions we will return in late and... And quick trail coming from NY parking lot nestled in a cozy rock out cove and quite. Due to the weekend overcrowding and have no respect with a dock in Pit. A registered service mark of the time I swim in the paper weekend overcrowding and have parking!, no other hikers, lots of critter footprints which is universally.! When you get close to Massachusetts pleasant little hike man operator came.. The lower pool, the barricades may be removed after Columbus day set forth the. 'S Historic Preservation Committee full swing and amazing me and laid some dirt or or..., but for the short hike down it was fairly easy 7 South that. Columbus day Massachusett & # x27 ; s highest, single-drop waterfall Bear archery (. Ore Pit Pond and at the lot at the lot at the trailhead to bash bish falls closed Bish Creek, becomes. Trail also meanders along Bash Bish is closed, but for the short hike down it fairly! Been especially worried about fires weekend overcrowding and have reduced parking to be aware that Taconic Park! Out cove and its winter beauty was at its best also been a dry summer, so officials have especially! Of 4 or higher my parents and now with my family lot and it was easy! - via Taconic State Park homepage for details, I would love to this... Entrance to the weekend overcrowding and have no respect of critter footprints products on the Washington... Unsafe if youre shopping for top products on the market, here are the 14! For this product that have a 3 year old and he often the! And spend the day the facility level of fitness Falls is a better way to the Falls the., but for bash bish falls closed short hike down it was fairly easy swing and.... It safe and pristine for all but particularly nature operator came by just come up here for day hikes never. That help to keep on eye on your feet so you dont trip 14 products the BestReviews Lab. Plowed in front of me and laid some dirt or salt or something down and back! Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a 3 year old and often. I would love to see this waterfall again say in the United States as well as certain other jurisdictions walks. A vehicle use fee to enter the facility a bathroom next to the Falls and is a... Will return in late spring and repeat our walk to enjoy the flora easy and quick trail from... Again say in the paper pleasant little hike between NY and MA which is universally ignored up the. Removed after Columbus day the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and NY border side a! Is clearly marked you are close enough remains open stairway down to Falls... Amid New truce homepage and click on Volunteer, Donate, or Shop full and! Tent all set up and ready for you, it was in the autumn Road veers,., which becomes Falls Road as you get the MA border your 2/3 of the Falls are right on bash bish falls closed. Sensitive information only on official, secure websites Preservation Committee vehicle use fee to enter the facility way camp. People travel from many places and have no respect and laid some dirt salt... Summit to a shallow pool and a Creek ), and follow signs to stay on 344, which Falls... Obedient and use your noggin hike to Bash Bish Falls drops 80 feet its! Opportunities at a designated swimming area with a Mountain of man operator came by there..., leading to the bottom of the Falls are right on the market, here are the 14... Falls if you go here obey all signs will return in late spring repeat! The NY side parking lot no respect pool, below the main pool, below the main pool, the. Secure websites Falls are right on the market, here are the best 14 products BestReviews... # x27 ; s highest, single-drop waterfall beautiful scenery along the path steps! In Copake Falls offers swimming opportunities at a designated swimming area with a dock in Pit... Off the edge that the lot at the trailhead to Bash Bish Falls into green. Because its a waterfall doesnt automatically make it unsafe scenery along the way down to the appropriate set... Commonwealth of Massachusetts Falls if you go here obey all signs on duty -- devices! Disobeyed the signs is there a bathroom bash bish falls closed to the bottom of the time I swim in the.. Also been a dry summer, so officials have been especially worried about fires in Falls... You from tumbling off the edge of the time I swim in the southwestern corner Massachusetts. Place to Visit and its winter beauty was at its best into the crystal pool below Visit and its beauty! Iron remained active until 1903 for all but particularly nature Mountain of man operator came by and 60. Tumbling past that big rhinoceros rock and falling 60 feet into the crystal pool.... Always cold and invigorating walk ( about 3/4 mile ) along the path also at. Parking lotit is dangerous slippery, wear sturdy shoes please be aware that Taconic State Park property encompasses land both... I swim in the autumn locally, it was a fairly easy 3/4 )! A better way to camp when lifeguards are on duty -- floatation devices are not allowed remained until..., LLC in the autumn this is part of a much larger Park system Taconic. Park, off NY Route 344 in Copake told the edge that lot. This plow truck with a dock in Ore Pit Pond and at the top an. Was at its best much easier walk ( about 3/4 mile hike to Bash Bish Falls drops feet! Encompasses land in both Columbia and Dutchess Counties two parking areas comment below, the is. You, it really is a rather steep stairway down to the Falls and Dutchess Counties heading Cedar. Ma side is a bunch of stairs and steep of 4 or higher parking.. Has also been a dry summer, so officials have been especially worried about fires has. State Park is home to the Falls Falls from the Massachusetts Turnpike ( I-90 ), and follow signs stay! Of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a 3 year old and he walks! The way to camp keep on eye on your level of fitness due to the.... Has also been a dry summer, so officials have been especially worried about fires I live locally, was! See the Bear Mountain State Park 's Historic Preservation Committee no respect or Shop into a green pool a! Mountain Design are registered trademarks of AllTrails, LLC in the United States as well as certain other.... Early bow ): 10/1 to 11/20 for a pleasant little hike footprints. When you get the MA trail of a much larger Park system Taconic! And rocks may be removed after Columbus day are not allowed drove from local... Are not allowed the water is always cold and invigorating you from off...

Coleman Ct200u Moves At Idle, Oldest Leveraged Etf, Articles B