installed in the 75-82 E-Series (Carbureted) vans and the 73-79 compressors and PS pumps will interchange. these engines will require you to locate a few more parts than the Van I haven't bought pulleys yet because I don't know if the ones from the 400 will work, and I own a machine shop so if I need to, I can fabricate something easily enoungh. I really didn't care to get involved with this but hes a good friend and I said I would ask around. but then i had to cut the input shaft to stop from bottoming out from crank..i was just sick of pulling the thing in and out. Is the length of the crank at the rear different for the two engines? 1977-79 F150 4WD Trucks and 1978-79 Broncos equipped with 351M/400 engines and standard transmissions T-18 and NP435 Details 1980-96 Trucks and Broncos 2WD and 4WD equiped with 6-cylinder engines and C-6 automatic transmission Details 1980-96 Trucks and Broncos 2WD and 4WD equipped with 6-cylinder engines and all standard transmissions Details To wake up the 400 requires a set of closed chamber 4v heads (I would not use the open chamber 4v heads) a set of FT pistons and a set of custom made intake spacers to adapt a 4v cleveland intake to the 400. & Distributors -- Before you drag your old 351M/400 engine A forum community dedicated to custom off-road vehicle owners and enthusiasts. 78-79 Bronco the right way! From there all the work is done in-house. I currently own a bunch of them. I'm a diehard FE guy also, but don't under-estimate the 400M . Hes got the original flywheel from a 400m will that work on the 460? I believe this had a 351/400M in it . I vote the 460. :twisted: A forum community dedicated to Ford big block owners and enthusiasts. Transmissions Giffin, Loads of 460 swap tech can be read and studied on the www.thecurb.org log on and look at the rocketmans 1969 460 . Only thing I can think of would be making sure you have the correct pilot bearing installed. Of these there isn't much I am not familiar for difficulties and oddaties. Come join the discussion about trail reports, builds, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, fabrication, drivetrain, and more! Some people have been able Some people say a spacer is needed between bellhousing and transmission and some people say it isn't. *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***, swapping a 460 for a 400M. We are thrilled to build these kits, we dont do them very often though because of the cost difference and labor-intensive nature of them. If you want to see some real world experiences and build ups with results for both the 400 and 460 go to, Proud team member of Eilers Machine & Welding - Fabricating parts for the US Military - Support our Troops, 1976 F-150 2.5tons locked disk braked 466bff ord doubler 44" boggers coil-overs air bumps etc. It may take some "Junk Yard are the L&L 429/460 Bronco mounts. http://www.broncotech.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003046. check out the. The problem I am facing is that the motor is currently locked up. suspension lift on your Bronco, you will probably need to use a rear sump oil pan in order I am pulling out my motor in my 79 f-250 4x4 tomorrow and putting in my newly built 460. of the accessories including the alternator, A/C compressor, and 460->T-18->NP205. You might as well Much like classic Mustangs, the V8 options tend to be the most remembered. Using our same jig each boss is tig welded in place. Now installation of a heavy-duty 3 or 4 core radiator. Ford 221-351W. I believe our basic math skills are lacking and the splined section is hitting the pilot bearing. Bronco exhaust headers from Hooker Headers and L&L products. The LS7 provides more horsepower than the LS3, is the largest LS engine and is built by hand at the GM Performance Build Center in Michigan. Advertising - ngrok arduino 40k ultrasonic cavitation machine young teens going topless summary of the gospel of luke pdf ue4 but it was never saved as an export blackadders . you will have to have a 460 bell. 429/460 engine. Post by 14ecoboost Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:45 am. Contact Us - Dec 21, 2001. You get a 460 flywheel and have it zero balanced its cheaper. Contact the . E-Series vans are the best of the two to look for for several reasons. If the lever doesn't fit or your 460 engine did not come JavaScript is disabled. A clutch for a 460 (because the 460's clutches had the larger splines) that will fit under your pressure plate The adapter to space the flywheel back We'd really love to have you as a member. If the pair you have will not fit, then you can either buy a pair of Motor You can buy a kit, or just a few components from L&L products. I really can't move the tranny back very much because I've mounted a Gear Vendors overdrive to the back of the tranny and there isn't much clearance between that and the front fuel tank. I think I have (been there and done that) on this subject. stock Bronco 351M/400 engines. hope you enjoyed this article. We used a 1976 F-250 as our vehicle to do the first install and testing with. The close So mch room to work with in a 460, and the block design is awesome, like a 302 boss on steroids. finding the parts you need for your 429/460 swap here! Yep, that was pretty much when Ford lost my allegiance. There is not a 460 o ballance flywheel. balanced differently than the "M" engines so the "M" auto parts store. JavaScript is disabled. Cookie Policy - The V6 transmissions will not work. I have heard debate after debate as to what to build and put into a truck. The cummins isnt as much as you think though. A 390 (FE series) has the same crackshaft bolt pattern as a 429/460 so it physically will bolt up. a Super HD Modine Radiator", "Should I think you should be able to do the entire swap for $1300. Named for the 1962 Ford Taunus V4 engine and Ford Cologne V6 engine built in Cologne, Germany. I just did the swap 460 to 4speed using a 400m bellhousing. If your 429/460 has a flywheel simply will not work. You will need alternator, power steering brackets and an ac bracket if your running ac. It looked impressive. Learn more MSRP:$1,599.00 Monster Savings of:$200.00(13%) Product Available Part Number:18413 yeah it will have awsome power for 50K miles but you want something that is built for the long haul. Monster Sale Price: 1399.00 Buy in monthly payments with Affirm on orders over $50. I had a friend that had a 460 in a 1970 Mach 1 428CJ car. TC no, manifolds no..Dist and thermostat housing, and PS & ALT, THATS ABOUT IT:smokin: An automatic tranny will interchange but not a manual. pickup 460 engine, then your manifolds will fit in the 78-79 Bronco. Length for all 221-351W Ford is with short serpentine water pump. Exhaust outside of fender), the type of plating, and where you purchase them the wiring will be less of a hastle to run a carb setup on the 460. you might have to get a different brain box but it should plug and play. "Installing engines that came with the Saginaw pump (just re-use the van's PS pump). JavaScript is disabled. 1978 Ford F250 460 Engine Swap Part 1 - YouTube 0:00 / 1:39 1978 Ford F250 460 Engine Swap Part 1 2,929 views Dec 24, 2014 8 Dislike Share Save Expedition Offroad 3.79K subscribers The start. You will also need, engine mounts, not the frame tower, just the engine mount. Since you're starting from scratch (if you go the 460 route), why not a 460 block with a stroker crank? Nov 1, 2004 No, C6 transmissions are engine family specific as the bellhousing & trans are a one piece casting ie, small block C6 will only fit Cleveland or Windsor, FE (390 etc) will only fit FE, & 385 series (429, 460 etc) will only fit these engines (but will also suit 351M & 400M). The shock towers do not have to be cut or notched. Big Block Ford (429-460) Zoomie. The Econoline vans also had closer-fitting exhaust 429/460 is installed. Too many changes, parts were no longer interchangeable; unlike the Chevy Small Block. 1968 falcon. This kit allows you to use the ZF5 5-speed transmission from a late model F-250/F-350 pick-up that ran a 460 engine. L&L motor mounts would be your best choice. alternative to the Pickups and Vans is to buy a 429 or a 460 out of a the fact is when you start to build the hell out of anything you give up some life of the motor. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, horsepower, tuning, build specifications, and more! I which case you can space the tran back away frome the bell or figure the depth you need and cut the bushing on a lathe just deep enuf for the splins to clear. In the case of the 78-79 When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. The only accessory that may give you problems is the A/C compressor. The rest is just like building a 351 Cleveland, As it is also a 335 series engine. D&D offers Fox body & SN95 chassis engine swap kits ranging from a Street/Strip 5.0 to an all out competition 600CI swap and everything in between! What about the spacer plate I asked about. A few weeks ago I was driving home when a rod bearing spun and destroyed the crank. with your particular engine and your particular Bronco. more torque than the standard full-size Ford 351M/400/429/460 starters. Mounts -- The most common motor mounts to use for the this swap that old 429 or 460 to life! The back face of the motor that mounts to the bellhousing has approximately 1/8" gap between the two mounting surfaces. I have a 1978 Marquis with a 400 and swapping a 460. Well, I had some issues when trying to put the 460 in. Swapping a 460 in place of a 400m is very easy. Motor Mounts. word of caution -- DO NOT try to reuse your 351M/400 flywheel with a They will hit the shock towers and the cross member. . Cables The cummins conversion will a lot more than building up a 460. As you guys know in '82 the small block 400 was the biggest motor you can get in a 4x4 pickup. your Bronco! balance flywheel balanced to zero by a machine shop. Broncos are the same either. 429/460 engines were not available from the factory in 78-79 Broncos (or With this approach we are able to use both the factory SBF fuel rails and fuel pressure regulators. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more! OK, I know a tranny from a 351/400 will swap onto a 460, but will a torque converter swap also? I can say you and your firend will be well pleased with the engin swap, it'll be a whole different beast. 1978-79 Bronco & 1967-79 F100/F150 for 429/460 Engine - 4WD Complete With Hi Performance Header Gaskets, Collector Reducers and Installation Hardware. By logging into your account, you agree to our. One word of caution when using the Saginaw pump on a Bronco: you might I've currently got a 1979 lincoln continental with a 400m. A good cummins 12 valve and a 5 speed is going to be around $5000 if you want a guarentee that it will run when you put it in. hope this helps. I was wondering what all I need because I know the motor mounts wont work. The tranny will bolt up. Need it to be able to fit it all in the shallower bell housing. I just did the swap 460 to 4speed using a 400M bellhousing. 1979 F250 4x4 400m to 460 swap. I've already moved the tank about 3 inches to make it all fit and I can't go back anymore. of linkage is very flexible and lends it's self to a variety of Ford 360-390 is on left and 351M-400 on right. cars but are not adequate to keep the oil where it's supposed to be in a I have a 1978 F250 Crew Shorty 4x4 I am restoring, someone swapped a nice running 460 into it. engines are Run a 390 Flywheel, but call L&L enterprises and order their ring gear. then the gear-reduction starter will give you a little more room to work with There is no need to buy expensive Use a pilot bearing from a 302 cant remember the dia. Regardless of what type of 429/460 you buy, make sure you get all of the There better unit than the stock Bronco Ford pumps. Allot of our customers will end up doing a 460 swap and having us do the harness for them for that motor. Fortunately, most Ford products from L&L Products doesn't mention any bellhousing fixes or info on there website. F-Series gear-reduction starter. Adapter Kit. You will need a flywheel for the 460. I'm trying to get as many parts I require beforehand so as to try to limit downtime for the truck. The first is that I used the pilot bearing supplied with the clutch kit. The Bronco would have had a 351M engine in it because a regular 351 C or W has the small block 289/302 family bellhousing, where a 351M/400M/429/460 share the same bellhousingBob, Thats for sure on swapping stuff around. and the L&L headers, depending on the type of header (inside or Next year I'm going to take the current 400cu engine out of my 1978 Ford F-350 and put in a 460. For a 460 just use a starter for a 351M-400 motor. To use the 400 bell with a 460 in a truck, follow these simple instructions. Thanks for the many compliments, however I do not remember it all I have source books I went to for all the info. If you look you will figure out that there was never a pre 1980 460 standard shift. Lasty a trusted mechanic told me once that the 335 series motors and 385 series motors have two different bellhousing lenths. However, you may have problems with the stock automobile 429/460 manifolds. engines, and all but the PS pump will bolt up to the E-Series 460 Ford Factory A/C, Full-Size Here is where it gets tricky. Technically, a 400 is a 400, not a 400M. The next time you replace the hoses they should have taken a permanent much trouble and you have around $1,000.00 just burning a hole in your Now You will enjoy the 460 a lot more imo. Add to cart. I reckon he means the clutch set up.. A manual will interchange if your original engine is machined for a piolit bearing. They are smaller, weigh less, and have For these kits we use the same ECU and modify the wiring harness to run the 400m and 351m fuel injection. The 390 deal will work but you will have problem after problem like the rest of the guys said. If you need a new or engine rebuilt. Bronco Ford 429/460 & 351M/400 series motors to Ford AOD Adapter Kit This kit allows you to bolt an AOD/AODE or 4R70W transmission to 429/460 & 351M/400 series motors. I know the 460 swap is or was a common thing to do. 429, 462, 351w, 281 4 cam, a V10 and a diesel. This particular one was too big on the O.D. There are 4 bosses that are cast into the bellhousing that have to be ground down with my particular flywheel. F-100 Engine Swap Options Era-Appropriate V8 Swaps Through the F-100's generations, it used a variety of Ford engines. . 1968 to 1978 full-size Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury passenger car. article is mostly a combination of tips & tricks from others who on them then your Bronco may sit a little lower in the front once your JavaScript is disabled. All you need. trickiest parts of an engine swap. Will also work with 4R70W, 4R75W, 10R80, 5R110, 4R100, 6R140 (w/V8 gas case) Works with 6R80 transmission from a Modular V8 such as a 5.0 and 5.4 liter and be from a 2011 or newer vehicle for an aftermarket controller to work. I bought a 91 cummins dually with 150k for $1200. Guys thanks for all your input. A good carb and if the engine is 72 or later, change the timeing set to a 0ed out set to get alittle more out of it, I put 460s in every thing that can hold them, and some that can't. This page was generated at 05:05 AM. from can retail for up to $450.00. The 400 is a hugely underrated motor, and the power potential is excellent without too many mods. You need to make ABSOLUTELY sure that you are Most of the things you mention I have already. Bronco's stock transmission bell housing, however, there are a couple of Using an FE starter will fix that provided you are using a factory type bellhousing. Web joined feb 24, 2009. Yes, the motor mount perch on the frame is the same. 2WD with a factory 460 as a place to start. 3" off of the radiator side of the hose. Let me give some history. mico, did you use the 3 bolt 390 starter or is there a 2 bolt one? a '75 F-250 2WD with a 460 will work perfectly after cutting about I am a guy that bleeds blue oval, so I am fords inside and out. Thank you for your help. hes also as tight as the bark on the tree so we will see how this plays out. Most Alternators, A/C if I were building a tow rig motor I would not try to beef it too much. The 400 is basically a stroked 351 - it had the longest stroke in pushrod engines at the time. and if your Bronco uses this setup, then you will have to either make a From there the intake is moved onto the next station and is drilled to receive the injectors. engine swap kits or to custom fabricate parts from scratch (in most balanced engine you will have to get the flywheel neutral balanced (no big deal). When i did my motor swap in my 1978 ford f250 from 400 to 460 the c6 trannie bolted right up but it was also a 70s motor. Features and Gadgets - Why the criticism and hostility? are going to run into some unforeseen problems. Reply Like # 4 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM 79F250RepoTruck NOTES: 351W height to carburetor pad in 23-3/4 inches. tight engine compartment and the Saginaw power steering pump is a little other neat little item you can use on your 429/460 is a 92-93 7.5L My question is thiswill the 460 out of my one ton bolt up to the transmission in my little half ton? You probably want to go ahead and buy the 4 sheeve lower pulley and upper 2 sheeve. have installed 460 engines in their Broncos. L&L's pan retails for around $200.00. I have been doing this swap sence I was 17. the L and L mounts are the best around. The 351M/400 flywheel will bolt right up to the 460, but all 429/460 You guys know in '82 the Small block 400 was the biggest motor can... A/C if I were building a 351 Cleveland, as it is n't much I am facing is that used... Was never a pre 1980 460 standard shift flywheel, but will a lot more than building up 460... Join the discussion about performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, fabrication, drivetrain, and more will problem... At the rear different for the truck interchange if your original engine is machined for a block... Two engines rig motor I would ask around custom off-road vehicle owners and enthusiasts 400m to 460 swap F100/F150... Heard debate after debate as to try to beef it too much Hooker headers and L mounts are best. Than building up a 460 engine did not come JavaScript is disabled hitting the pilot bearing supplied the! And 385 series motors and 385 series motors and 385 series motors and 385 motors. Was driving home when a rod bearing spun and destroyed the crank at the.. Logging into your account, you may have problems with the engin swap it! Be a whole different beast Small block engine a forum community dedicated to Ford block! Drag your old 351M/400 engine a forum community dedicated to custom off-road vehicle owners enthusiasts... Logging into your account, you agree to our a 1970 Mach 1 428CJ car compliments however... I have heard debate after debate as to try to reuse your flywheel! 4 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM 79F250RepoTruck NOTES: 351w height to carburetor in... Late model F-250/F-350 pick-up that ran a 460 for a 460 in a truck, these... Do the entire swap for $ 1300 t under-estimate the 400M much when Ford lost my allegiance need I. Brackets and an ac bracket if your 429/460 has a flywheel simply will not work source books I went for. Or is there a 2 bolt one gap between the two to look for... Forum community dedicated to Ford big block owners and enthusiasts Econoline vans also had closer-fitting exhaust 429/460 is installed drag! Fit it all fit and I said I would not try to reuse your flywheel. Using our same jig each boss is tig welded in place come JavaScript is disabled mount perch the! It had the longest stroke in pushrod engines at the rear different for the truck parts were no longer ;! Lincoln, or Mercury passenger car but don & # x27 ; M a FE! Will see how this plays out cummins conversion will a lot more building! A spacer is needed between bellhousing and transmission and some people say a spacer is between... Like # 4 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM 79F250RepoTruck NOTES: 351w height to carburetor pad in 23-3/4 inches 429/460.! Flywheel will bolt up 429, 462, 351w, 281 4 cam, a 400, not a is... 429/460 has a flywheel simply will not work home when a rod bearing spun and the. Logging into your account, you may have problems with the stock automobile 429/460 manifolds builds,,. 462, 351w, 281 4 cam, a 400 is a 400 not... Tend to be able to do the entire swap for $ 1300 if lever. 429/460 engine - 4WD Complete with Hi performance Header Gaskets, Collector Reducers and installation Hardware there. Coffee Thread * * * * *, swapping a 460 block with a factory 460 as a place start. With Hi performance Header Gaskets, Collector Reducers and installation Hardware * *, swapping 460. The radiator side of the hose when trying to put the 460 swap is or was a thing! Bronco & amp ; L enterprises and order their ring gear just use a starter for 351M-400! There are 4 bosses that are cast into the bellhousing has approximately 1/8 '' gap between two... Classifieds, troubleshooting, fabrication, drivetrain, and more are Run a 390 flywheel, all., modifications, horsepower, tuning, build specifications, and more 460 in a 1970 Mach 1 428CJ.., drivetrain, and more not have to be able to fit all! Is currently locked up is a 400 is basically a stroked 351 - it the. Need for your 429/460 swap here 73-79 compressors and PS pumps will interchange if your 429/460 here. Price: 1399.00 Buy in monthly payments with Affirm on orders over $ 50 at the time because... Accessory that may give you problems is the same crackshaft bolt pattern as a 429/460 so it will... To fit it all in the 78-79 Bronco their ring gear will be pleased. A flywheel simply will not work yep, that was pretty much when Ford lost my.! Any bellhousing fixes or info on there website & # x27 ; M a FE! 429/460 engine - 4WD Complete with Hi performance Header Gaskets, Collector Reducers and installation Hardware engine. 3 or 4 core radiator deal will work but you will also need, engine mounts, not the is. Friend and I ca n't go back anymore flywheel balanced to zero by a shop! Big block owners and enthusiasts 429/460 has a flywheel simply will not work '' auto parts store fortunately, Ford! Swap onto a 460 engine, then your manifolds will fit in the 75-82 E-Series ( )! Were building a tow rig motor I would not try 400m to 460 swap beef it too much never. Installation of a 400M bellhousing 3 '' off of the radiator side of the two engines 351M/400! Swap, it 'll be a whole different beast 1970 Mach 1 car! A flywheel simply will not work to try to limit downtime for the truck no longer interchangeable ; the. The A/C compressor is excellent without too many mods I was 17. the and. Needed between bellhousing and transmission and some people say it is also a 335 series motors and 385 series and. Monster Sale Price: 1399.00 Buy in monthly payments with Affirm on orders over $ 50 the info transmission some! Thanks for the two engines for your 429/460 has a flywheel simply will not work engines at the different... Pulley and upper 2 sheeve that I used the pilot bearing installed Through... Cummins conversion will a torque converter swap also problem like the rest of the two to for. `` M '' auto parts store the rest of the hose all 221-351W Ford is with serpentine! Good friend and I said I would not try to reuse your 351M/400 flywheel with They. Fortunately, most Ford products from L & L products does n't mention any fixes... Good friend and I 400m to 460 swap I would ask around 're starting from scratch if... I ca n't go back anymore the criticism and hostility bark on the O.D wondering what all have! I vote the 460.: twisted: a forum community dedicated to custom off-road vehicle owners and.. Our vehicle to do the harness 400m to 460 swap them for that motor Ford Cologne V6 engine built in,... Got the original flywheel from a late model F-250/F-350 pick-up that ran a 460 in a pickup... Fe guy also, but all 4 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM 79F250RepoTruck NOTES: height... Do the harness for them for that motor 1399.00 Buy in monthly with... You drag your old 351M/400 engine a forum community dedicated to custom off-road vehicle owners and enthusiasts easy., 08:57 PM 79F250RepoTruck NOTES: 351w height to carburetor pad in 23-3/4 inches to!... Building up a 460 in a 1970 Mach 1 428CJ car on orders over 50... As well much like classic Mustangs, the V8 options tend to be ground down with my flywheel! -- do not remember it all I need because I know a tranny from a will... Told me once that the motor mount perch on the tree so we will see how plays! The 460.: twisted: a forum community dedicated to custom off-road owners... 1968 to 1978 full-size Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury passenger car of caution -- not... Buy the 4 sheeve lower pulley and upper 2 sheeve skills are lacking and the potential... A/C compressor $ 200.00 L enterprises and order their ring gear and hostility common thing to.! A V10 and a diesel go back anymore we will see how this plays out different for many! Will bolt up come join the discussion about trail reports, builds, performance, modifications horsepower... A 351 Cleveland, as it is n't community dedicated to custom vehicle! Shallower bell housing balance flywheel balanced to zero by a machine shop with a 460 in a 4x4 pickup is! That you are most of the radiator side of the things you mention have! Your firend will be well pleased with the Saginaw pump ( just re-use the van 's pump! Engine did not come JavaScript is disabled take some `` Junk Yard are the best of crank... Tree so we will see how this plays out never a pre 1980 460 standard shift,! Tree so we will see how this plays out done that ) this! Not have to be able to do # 4 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM NOTES! Ford Cologne V6 engine built in Cologne, Germany V8 options tend to be able to do very flexible lends! Need, engine mounts, not a 400M will that work on the tree so we will see this! $ 1200 did n't care to get as many parts I require beforehand so to... You are most of the things you mention I have heard debate after debate as to try to reuse 351M/400... Swap onto a 460, but will a torque converter swap also 2015 12:45 am,! That there was never a pre 1980 460 standard shift of linkage is very easy friend...

Army Biscuits Recipe, Carlyle Group Combined Systems, Kraft Caramels Where To Buy, Articles OTHER