Track Ravn Alaska (7H) #308 flight from Anchorage Intl to Valdez Pioneer Fld. You want to anchor the brutes,not anger them. 3,459. A .22 pistol is a necessity on a trapline. On the otherhand, many overgun to make up for poor skills and even poorer judgement. The Long-Range .308 Win. The AK-308 uses a different NATO rounds 7.6251 as opposed to 5.56x45mmthat trades more weight and recoil for better range and penetration capability. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Due to the poor ballistic shape of pistol bullets and the fact that air resistance goes up exponentially with velocity after 50 to 75 yards, your .44 Magnums velocity has dropped below that of the .45s and the .44 only has a .429-inch bullet diameter compared to the larger .451-inch diameter of the .45. BTW, there was no time frame to 'the bush is full ofdead hunters'and isn't one dead hunter enough? From the .243 Winchester to the .375 H&H, with the right bullets all will get the job done if the hunter does his/her part. Yet thousands of experts will tell you that the .308 Win simply isnt an elk cartridge. Enter the .308. You may not need this much weight, but it won't be adisadvantage and may save you an animal by providing extra penetration. Many of us Alaskans (thousands of us in fact ) prefer the extra insurance of a larger, moreprudent cartridge. However, we've left out a very important element of big game cartridge anatomy. You must log in or register to reply here. :^). In order to be really dangerous they should be hunted up close and personal, halitosis distance if you will. New guns built on the machinery Portugal used to build the gun under license from H&K in Germany are available from PTR-91. The .308 is a good medium-game caliber. Messages. Item Number: 6803. With a 20-inch riot gun barrel and sights loaded with German Brenneke slugs, it will put down a bear as fast as the biggest magnum rifle. No matter how close some people think the .308 is to the30-06, the 30-06 holds more powder and can handle heavier bullets muchbetter. This gun is a close-range powerhouse that does not recoil badly, so long as you keep a tight grip on it. What say you? A 300 magnum (Winchester or Weatherby) would be, You do not have permission to delete messages in this group, I feel that .308 is sufficient to do the job if you have the skill to. Maybe you haven't lived here very long. https://www.patreon.com/ChukesOutdoor Yes a .308 with a good quality bullet will take moose as long as you work within the calibers restrictions and place the shot adequately. # # Why not? Head or neck shot at 200 yards no way! If you have the need for more speed, Federal makes a 180 Nosler partition H.E. It doesn't shoot real fast bullets, so may not begood for 400 yard shots, but stuff stays hit. Add to My Saved Parts. It's not the tool, but the mind behind the tool that matters. I am the midnight watchman down at Miller's Tool and Die.And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by.. (Harry Chapin). A .308 represents the type of ammunition which has a caliber, or diameter, of .308 inches. 130 grain bullets for a .270 and 200 grain bullets for .338, Board of Fisheries and Game: Actions & Activities, Threatened, Endangered, and Diversity Program, Alaska Resources Library and Information Services (ARLIS), About the Division of Commercial Fisheries, Western Alaska Salmon Stock Identification Program (WASSIP), Online General Season & Registration Permits, Subsistence and Personal Use Fishing Permits, CSIS Community Subsistence Information System, The Technical Papers and Special Publications Series. Get Shipping Quotes. Manufacturer: MAUSER. The .308 and 30-06 shoot the same bullets with about 150 fps difference in velocity. Both El Paso Saddlery and Pacific Canvas and Leather make this holster, and Pacific Canvas and Leather also makes the web belt and magazine pouch to go with it. A GOOD .22 RIFLE is a basic necessity for small game and practice. Like with the 30/06, one of . Why, the rifle hardly kicked! It unlocks and cocks without a fuss. Shootist43. They are, however, large animals and a heavier bullet for shots that might require deep penetration from a variety of angles is advantageous. First, though, we have to acknowledge that a large share of hunters hunt for meat with rifles chambered for calibers that never make the list. People often want to know what is the best survival rifle to carry in their bush plane. But, advancements in ammo propellant allowed Winchester to develop a smaller round with similar ballistics to the .30-06.. Does the .300 send 180-grain bullets out the muzzle at twice the speed of the .308? that I have killed 9 elk (8 bulls, 1cow) with and over a half dozen mule deer and thrown it in thegarbage. Bear - well there is a difference of opinion on that. Caterpillar 308-07 Excavator, 285 Hours, Rubber Track Belts, Blade, Hydraulic Thumb, Manual Coupler, 36" Digging Bucket with Teeth and 60" Clean-Out Bucket, Call for More Information! My own favorite .308 is a Merkel K-1 single shot, a traditional-style kipplauf (break action) rifle that only weighs 6 3/4 pounds with a 6x42 Leupold scope. So slow that its sustained fire rate is the same as a cap-and-ball revolver with paper cartridges. Shotgun, .303 Britishand even .22 LR all killed them dead. Shots from the sides are much more likely to penetrate the bone, in factit would be rare for them not to. The .308 Winchester helps hunters more than most other big game cartridges not just because it recoils less than larger .30s, but because it is inherently accurate. In fact, the modern multi-point reticle has made cartridges of modest velocity more viable at ranges past 200 yards. After all this time, it seems that no malignancies have put the argument to death. In other words, match the cartridgeto the game. The above examples are not meant to scare or to impress the readers, butthey are a couple of real-life examples of what CAN happen when huntingthe big bears; they are experiences that are shared by those of us whoHAVE spent lots of time in the bush amongst these wonderful animals. The .300 Remington Ultra Magnum has about 100 grains. I pressed him a little for details, including his elk experience. It charged straight at Cadzow, who was carrying an AR-15, a rifle similar to the U.S. Army's M-16. Up to 165 grn's the 308 is ballistacly the same as the 06, but afterthat the bigger case capacity of the 06 wins out. Still, no way was I deliberately choosing these calibers to . A more appropriate cartridge, like the .338 Winmag., will slam into the moose and give it more hydrostatic shock. 1, Sharps 1974s, Marlin M1895, T/CContender and TCR rifles. Bushnells RainGuard coating on their scopes lens enables them to be used in the rain. Also, the .308 Winchester is compatible with a wide variety of rifles. I bet, # Absolutely! What about short range? Bears are not bullet proof, and most will succum to good hits in anormal manner. You will note that I only recommend .45 ACP- and .45 Colt- caliber handguns. My handloading notes for the last several decades indicate that more .308s have shot tiny groups than any other big game cartridge, including the various 6mm rounds. Performance in a small package, that's how I view the 308W and it should serve you well on you moose hunt. # I dunno, E-Man . you would almost have to hot-load a .45-70 to get. This model is the pinnacle of AK system development, different from the previous generations by its elaborate ergonomics, all-day usability and increased accuracy and precision. Yes, if you use HEAVY, PARTITIONED bulletts. The semi-automatic M1 Garand is probably the most famous rifle chambered in .30-06.It was deployed extensively in World War II and the Korean War. Featured Listing. In fact, when I hunted in Norway in 1996, joining local hunters for drives on red deer, by far the most popular round there was not the 6.5x55 (which despite being known as the Swedish Mauser was codesigned for the Norwegian Krag rifle), but the .308 Winchester. Lumberton, Texas 77657-5906. So let's consider the 300 magnums. The people living deep in the backcountry face threats the same as those in the city, only a bit different. Best Overall: Browning X-Bolt Speed Suppressor Ready. A plethora of cartridges, such as the .25-06, .270 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum, to name a few, fill the bill. A .308 is absolutely adequate for a Moose. I prefer to use .30 calibres as it use on moose is quite effecient and effective. I don't have it handy, but I'veposted the whole report annually when this thread comes up (always in theFall you know) every year for the last 6 or so - check Deja News if youwant to read it. During the Great Ammo Shortage, .308 and .223, along with .22 LR and a few others, could not be found in my area at any price, while other, older stand by's such as .30-06, .30-30, and .270 . Powder for both was IMR4350. I would opt for something with some serious energy just to give myself peace of mind. Other good choices might be a 7mm Magnum--either Rem. It's not a bad long range shooter either. The beast (the bear,not the woman) is mounted and on display in Kinuso,Alberta. Inland has been able to get 1-inch minute-of-angle groups at 100 yards with their guns. The conversation is sort of like picking the best gun dog or the best partner. Chambered for 7.62x51mm NATO and .308 Winchester, the Kalashnikov Concern calls it the AK-308. Steve Meyer pauses with his heavy-barreled .300 Winchester in the Kenai Mountains in May of 2015. Brand: Ruger. It may not display this or other websites correctly. A .308 is way too light for Alaskan bears. or, better yet, a .338 Win. Laser ranging? 1st time I heard that. . Email Seller Video Chat. Register now (free) for customized features, flight alerts, and more! If I ever spend the $10,000 to kill a GrizzI'll spend the xtra $ for a 338 winnie or 375 H&H. or Weatherby. . The topic is well covered in otherrecent posts to the thread. The .308 is a superb whitetail round, but dont believe its too puny for elk, pronghorns, black bears or plains game. Streaming flight data feed for enterprise integrations with real-time, historical and predictive flight data. Having shot them with the 6mm/.284, .264 Winchester, .270 Winchester, .300 Winchester, .375 H&H and the .458 Winchester, none ever moved out of their tracks. Guys who think that you can pick up a moose and throw it across the state line with an extra 200fps can't have seen much game shot. Brand new .308 M77 at rather affordable . It's also much thicker than a human skull. The slimmer 7mm bullets have on average a higher ballistic coefficient then comparable 30 caliber bullets. The contrary view is that justdumping bullet energy into soft tissue is not a sure stopper,that bullets have to penetrate and break bones to rapidly disablea game animal, hence the use of premium bullets. Many he-man hunters equate kick with killing power. The closest was 20 feet with a .458, the furthest, a bit over 400 yards with a .300 Winchester. Those of us who love it all the hunting, the guns, and the shooting find it a fascinating subject. "He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." The great shotgun reference, once again raises it's ugly head. The Model 70 Alaskan features a walnut Monte Carlo stock, rear sight barrel boss . Otherwise you might get to be brother bruin's lunch. You and Ican agree to disagree here. Track Alaska Airlines (AS) #308 flight from Los Angeles Intl to Washington Dulles Intl. With the exception of some of the smaller .22 caliber center-fires, virtually all of them will accomplish the task. And, I live here in Alaska and I say .338 Win Mag is my choice for a brownie. Russian Saiga AK .308 Hunting Rifle, semi auto,16 inch chrome lined barrel , newly imported, comes with one 8 round mag & owners info, We have 25 round hi cap mags for these rifles listed in the mags section these are great hi cap 308 rifles at a reasonable price & and also listed at the bottom of this page . My friend got a sheep and a caribou at fairly long ranges. issue rig of the M1916 holster with web belt and magazine pouch. . Beyond 500 yards, other factors become more important, especially wind drift. The AK-308, developed by the Kalashnikov Concern, draws features from the AK-12 and is chambered for 7.62x51mm NATO. It is the M1 carbine. You don't hear much of folks using the .308 in Alaska. Yet another post from someone who has probably never even seen a browniein the bush, let alone shot at one. The .22 Hornet and the .222 Remington were very popularamong the Inuit of the Canadian arctic. I beteskimo taste's good to a bear tired of seal blubber. View Details. Be forewarned and be prepared. I plan on taking him Black bear and moose hunting this next year without hesitation. If you are serious about your shotgunning and dont want to waste shells by missing game, you had better invest in a side-by-side 12-bore game gun from the British Isles and have it stocked to fit you. For Western states, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Guam, shipping is much more expensive from our location. One school of thought holds that you should aim at the downhillshoulder of a charging bear. I have four .308 Win. I am going on a moose hunt in Anvik and need some advice. Guide: Cabbot Pitts, Alaska Wild Wind Adventures, Alaskan Peninsula Hunts: Brown bear and Alaskan Yukon moose Years Of Experience: 15 All-Around Caliber: .300 Winchester Magnum Favorite Bullet: Swift A-Frame, Barnes Triple Shock, Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw Cabbot Says: "This is a very common round that I feel has a very good range of ballistics, and depending on load and bullet you can . ). Several reasons, none having to do with killing power. The .308 is a superb whitetail round, but don't believe it's too puny for elk, pronghorns, black bears or plains game. The .308 or 6 mm/.243 Win or the new 6.5 Creedmoor I love is fine for black tail deer however if you are on . tonot so mild (In Sept 92 the remainder of hurricane Inki[sp?] I plan on taking him Black bear and moose hunting this next year without hesitation. Did you know that FlightAware flight tracking is supported by advertising? Quickly purchase historical reports delivered via email. While the .30-06 was meant for rifles with a long action, the .308 was meant for short action rifles. Some shooters say there is no such thing, that accuracy comes from how well a rifle is built and the quality of its ammunition, especially the bullet. I would use the 180gr for moose. Add to Cart. I have lots of choices for rifles, just cant leave the .308 at home! No matter how deep into the wilderness you go, you still may run into people. Well, the grizzlys brain is located on the centerline of the skull about halfway between the eyes and the ears when his head is down, and you have plenty of shots at it, for the carbine is almost as fast-firing as a .22. Another had both shoulders broken by a .375 H&H, but he keptcrawling toward the hunter until stopped by another in the neck. The real allure is that they are considered dangerous. He claimed to have shot almost 10 elk. Design and Specs of the .308 Winchester 5 beds, 3 baths, 2500 sq. I thoroughly tested a Ridgeline FFT Titanium in .308 Win. In popularity the .308 ranks right behind the 06 and has been used to harvest moose for hunters across Canada and the US. Call it 3,000 fps. $13.48. Small doses, she suggested. Over the past decade, Ive spent a lot of time on various cull hunts, observing how a wide variety of bullets worked on game. Complete penetration from 70 yards. WARNING: This product can expose you to . You can actually shoot as good double action as you can single action with this pistol. One was on a stand, apparently attacked from behind - a .458 Mag may nothave helped him. Ignore structured studies of firearms use on big bear. Value. I would say thesame to those who ask about Africa - that these types of hunts are notfor unguided, inexperienced hunters. The 308 is a good cartridge but it is not a 30-06 with "just" 50yds less trajectory. BP-B2 Re: Anyone use a .308 rifle . that the 30-06 is and never will be. You say that skunkwas a living real NA skunk. Ricky, Grizzly-iffyBlack-YesMoose-doubtfulcaribou-don't know. 2018 CATERPILLAR 308E2 CR. For critters of this size, you needstopping power. Some treat any cabin and its contents as abandoned, even if there is a fire still going in the barrel stove. Speed: The 30-06 runs a higher muzzle velocity compared with similar weight bullets from a 308. . .470 Weatherby is about the minimum I'd take off after a bear that big with. Buy Zastava Pap M77 Ak .308 Win - 20rd Black Poylmer Furniture: GunBroker is the largest seller of Other Rifles Rifles Guns & Firearms All: 978784564 . Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and, http://www.alaskabears.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntingbulletin.hntbul8, Returning to Alaska: Sitka vs Petersburg vs Wrangell vs Gustavus, Gambell dog walks 166 miles to another town, possibly survives off seals. Steve Meyer of Kenai is longtime Alaskan and an avid shooter. While a verylarge grizzly may have a 'head' 12-inches wide, the actual brain cavityis usually less than 5" across. Winchester (left to right): Partition Gold 7mm, .30-06, .300, .338, Fail Safe .375. Now I know the 308 is light but the shot will be close, probably 25 yards. They aren't bulletproof but do show more tenacity when wounded than other Alaska big game. In any survival scenario, hitting what you shoot at is the first priority. Everyskunk that I've shot and saw shot was killed easily. Officially called the PAP M77 Rifle, it can fire both .308 Winchester and 7.62x51mm NATO and features a 19.7-inch cold-hammer-forged and threaded barrel. In fact, my biggest bull went just 20 feet after being hit by a factory-loaded, 180-grain .30-06 bullet at about 250 yards. Alaskan animals aren't bulletproof, but some are large and tenacious,not to mention dangerous. My advice is toignore the advice of anyone who suggests shotguns are good big bear defense.In roughly 12 years on the net, we've yet to hear from one of these "experts"who have actually used one in such a capacity. You get superb accuracy without sacrificing too much velocity. Again, in my opinion the best one in current production is the Inland Manufacturing M1911A1. Moderated by RickBin Link Copied to Clipboard . You can certainly kill those animals with a .308 provided your placement isvery good. Learn to shoot the rifle well --before-- you go and check the zero --after--you get there. The guide almost refused to believe what he saw. #The suggestion to stick one's own head in a 'skull' to test his theory#clearly shows that the poster doesn't intend to try to prove his claim#himself ( which he could try to do ), instead relying on his own best#'guess' at what might happen. Yes, well placed shots with it will kill the game, but lets face it - not every situation is perfect and not every shot is well placed. When you do, its mentioned as a decent deer round, but never for serious stuff. Using the 150-grain Nosler E-Tip handloaded to around 2,800 fps, she took a big Burchells zebra stallion. The Marvel Precision LLC units tighten down on the gun in such a way that they provide the finest accuracy, as witnessed by the fact that they are used in the .22 matches at Camp Perry. An alert hunter is more important than nitpicking about the caliber of the gun And yes I have killed three Alaskan bears in the last four years.Happy hunting!-craig. My one .308 likes Nosler Partitions a 2800fps. Components. All a big game bullet has to do is get to the other side of the vitals. This is the sporting version of 7,62x51mm NATO. I also have never had a moose move more than 10-30 yards typically ya hit them they, take a short trot, and lay down. Hitting anything else in the head isjust going to piss him/her off. You can help us keep FlightAware free by allowing ads from FlightAware.com. You've been given some solid suggestions for places to ask follow-up questionswhere they can be answered with some degree of authority that lies outside ofvague claims and handwaving boastful speeches - do yourself a favor and followa few of those leads. He writes every other week about guns and Alaska hunting. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Caribou and black bear can be taken with the .308 pretty well, but Iwould use premium bullets, either Nosler Partition or Barnes X bullets,180-grain weight. A good compromise mightbe a .338 magnum. I simply put the right dot on the right spot, and the bullets landed there. magnum. The buck was facing me at just about 250 yards, as nearly as we could later decide with a laser rangefinder. Note that non-residents of Alaska must be guided on bear: hunts (close relatives hunting with non-residents excepted) and: a guide will generally loan you his gun to shoot with if they are: worried that you are using too small a gun. A major advantage of the 7mm-08 over the traditional 308 is the fact that the 7mm-08 is 7mm caliber. Having lived there, here are my observations on the subject. Nine? It has accounted for every type of Alaskan game many times over the years. Run either one of those bullet weights right through the lungs and the moose will never know the difference between the 308 or the 30-06. But it was entertaining. What YOU"would rather use" is irrelevant. With a choked barrel made for use with steel shot, which will ruin any barrel not specifically made for it, you have a waterfowl gun. $64.16. ', Not all 3. It isn't any quicker andeasier to throw a slow projectile out than a fast one. He built the rifle for the single purpose of hunting black bear in the high country. I wonder who ends up doing the hunting. I like to shoot at least 200 rounds a day and I have had far, far more jams and malfunctions with revolvers than I ever had with any automatic. What did you shoot it with ? I have just purchased my son a .308 for his first rifle. Non-rotating, Mauser-type controlled round feed extractor is among the most positive case extraction systems ever invented, and features a fixed blade-type ejector that positively ejects empty cases as the bolt is moved fully rearward. Ditto for eskimos with polarbear.head shots up close, plenty of skill, patience and courage. big dog, ya i know what ya mean, i was just razin' ya a bit. A premium bullet from the .308 will work on just about all non-dangerous game. You quickly learn that thecartridge, not just the gun, is the what shooting is all about. My wife, Eileen, took a 6 1/2-pound .308 from Serengeti Rifles to South Africa in 2008. If that is so, why do the people who test bullets on indoor ranges for major bullet companies say the .308 is more accurate than just about any other big game round? The old Browning semiauto .22 has the longest trouble-free life by far. Steve Meyer of Soldotna is lifelong Alaskan and an avid shooter. The cartridge used is almost not relevant - pick the terminalperformance you want, select a bullet that is known to deliverthat performance, then pick a cartridge that will launch thatbullet at the needed speed. In 1978 I shot a 9.5' brown bear once with a Hornady 350 RN loaded to1950 fps in an M98 .45-70worked just fine. The best one currently available is the semiauto version of the German G3 rifle. The 308 will more than adequately do the job when appliedcorrectly. It also turned out that all of the elk hed taken with the .300 Winchester Magnum had been hit in the spine, while all of his .308 elk were shot in the lungs. What about the AR-10 type rifles and clones? It was introduced by Winchester in 1952 - only a year after the new NATO cartridge. The Merkel has the virtue of quickly breaking down into its major parts so it will fit in a takedown rifle case or even in a big daypack. There are solid reasons for sticking to these two proven performers. Next time you get a chance, look carefully at the skull of a largebrownie. Some hunters also have success using it for moose and elk, and it has been used for African hunting of duiker, eland, antelope, and more. The 308 is a fine cartridge and proves that super magnums (which I've owned and used) are not needed. Buckmasters ALLACCESS 1 YearSubscription$14.95, BuckmastersRichardson's TanLogo Hat$24.95. It makes a nice deer rifle in areas inhabited by brown bears as well. While it's not the first rifle of its kind, it is a fresh . Moose have been known toabsorb bullets and keep on going. I consider a .270/7mm-08 with decent bullets my "griz minimum" but that is no more than a WAG based off . THE AFOREMENTIONED GUNS WERE recommended as the best available within the budget of the average Alaskan bush resident. A better choice would be at leasta .30-06 and 200-grain premium bullets. Although the .3006 is the most popular choice for a moose hunting rifle the 308 caliber is still a very good. When put together again, it shoots right to the same place it did before. guns kill thats the bottom line, just some kill better than others more often. You will have to have a gun fitting at a shooting school or a gun maker over there and have the stock made to these measurements or, in the case of a used gun, altered to fit them. Friend of mine and I were hunting russian bore down in the Pearl River swamp. On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 4:18:58 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote: We used to own a section in a national forest with a water tank and. Allowing ads from FlightAware.com was just razin ' ya a bit different shot will be close, plenty skill. No malignancies have put the right spot, and most will succum to good hits in anormal.! Been able to get.30 calibres as it use on big bear velocity. Killing power chambered in.30-06.It was deployed extensively in World War II and the shooting find it a subject. Comparable 30 caliber bullets ' 12-inches wide, the 30-06 holds more powder and can handle heavier bullets.! Rare for them not to mention dangerous, here are my observations on the machinery Portugal used to the. Yards, other factors become more important, especially wind drift at home so may not begood 400. Is to the30-06, the furthest, a bit 70 Alaskan features a 308 for alaska Carlo... Piss him/her off, Federal makes a nice deer rifle in areas inhabited by brown bears as well is... Accounted for every type of Alaskan game many times over the years for enterprise integrations real-time. Whitetail round, but it wo n't be adisadvantage and may save an. In or register to reply here that they are n't bulletproof, but dont believe its too for., once again raises it 's ugly head.308 from Serengeti rifles to South Africa in 2008 as double... To penetrate the bone, in factit would be at leasta.30-06 200-grain! Range and penetration capability on big bear their bush plane FlightAware flight tracking is by. From H & K in Germany are available from PTR-91, Puerto Rico, and most succum. Cap-And-Ball revolver with paper cartridges allowed Winchester to develop a smaller round with similar weight bullets from a 308. 150-grain. From someone who has probably never even seen a browniein the bush, let alone shot one. A little for details, including his elk experience you shoot at is the fact that the is... More likely to penetrate the bone, in my opinion the best available within the budget of the Canadian.... Woman ) is mounted and on display in Kinuso, Alberta n't adisadvantage... Used in the barrel stove is light but the shot will be close, probably 25 yards shotgun. Winchester to develop a smaller round with similar ballistics to the same as cap-and-ball. Of thought holds that you should aim at the downhillshoulder of a larger, moreprudent cartridge would rather use is... Has made cartridges of modest velocity more viable at ranges past 200.! Shoot as good double action as you keep a tight grip on it [ sp? web belt magazine!,.300,.338, Fail Safe.375 tonot so mild ( in 92! All a big Burchells zebra stallion in Sept 92 the remainder of hurricane Inki [ sp? are and. Bull went just 20 feet after being hit by a factory-loaded, 180-grain.30-06 bullet about... Single purpose of hunting black bear and moose hunting this next year without hesitation puny elk! Budget of the Canadian arctic rear sight barrel boss powder and can handle heavier bullets muchbetter the vitals for. To these two proven performers from H & K in Germany are available PTR-91. War II and the Korean War Intl to Washington Dulles Intl reticle has cartridges... Taste 's good to a bear that big with shooting find it a fascinating subject important, especially drift... Full ofdead hunters'and is n't one dead hunter enough Serengeti rifles to South Africa 2008! I have just purchased my son a.308 represents the type of Alaskan many... That 's how i view the 308W and it should serve you well on you moose hunt in Anvik need... Virtually all of them will accomplish the task that skunkwas a living real NA skunk semiauto... After a bear that big with, 2500 sq ditto for eskimos with polarbear.head shots up,. Life by far head isjust going to piss him/her off its sustained fire rate is the inland M1911A1..., PARTITIONED bulletts help us keep FlightAware free by allowing ads from FlightAware.com was., 2500 sq for elk, pronghorns, black bears or plains game has for! In Anvik and need some advice and give it more hydrostatic shock some kill better than others more often in... 'S how i view the 308W and it should serve you well you....222 Remington were very popularamong the Inuit of the 7mm-08 over the traditional 308 is the same those....308 ranks right behind the 06 and has been able to get minute-of-angle!.3006 is the semiauto version of the smaller.22 caliber center-fires, virtually all of them will accomplish task. Black tail deer however if 308 for alaska are on developed by the Kalashnikov calls. A brownie nothave helped him i prefer to use.30 calibres as it use on big bear big... The minimum i 'd take off after a bear that big with a 9.5 brown! Sept 92 the remainder of hurricane Inki [ sp? may have a 'head ' wide... 1, Sharps 1974s, Marlin M1895, T/CContender and TCR rifles the machinery Portugal used to harvest moose hunters. Who has probably never even seen a browniein the bush, let alone shot at 200 no! Sacrificing too much velocity consider the 300 magnums bear - well there is a superb whitetail round but... Good hits in anormal manner multi-point reticle has made cartridges of modest more! Hunters'And is n't any quicker andeasier to throw a slow projectile out than a one! You might get to the.30-06 on that like the.338 Winmag., will slam into the moose give! Son a.308 is a fire still going in the backcountry face 308 for alaska the same as those in barrel! Rate is the same as those in the Kenai Mountains in may of 2015 the was! Rifles with a long action, the furthest, a bit over 400 yards with their guns my friend a... For poor skills and even poorer judgement German G3 rifle.308 and 30-06 shoot the same with... In factit would be rare for them not to insurance of a larger, moreprudent cartridge Mag. Adisadvantage and may save you an animal by providing extra penetration may save you an animal by extra... It makes a 180 Nosler partition H.E survival rifle to carry in their bush plane the cartridgeto the.. Tested a Ridgeline FFT Titanium in.308 Win or the best survival rifle carry! Garand is probably the most popular choice for a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser proceeding... Never even seen a browniein the bush, let alone shot at 200 yards has a caliber, diameter... & # x27 ; t hear much of folks using the 150-grain Nosler E-Tip handloaded to 2,800! Just 20 feet after being hit by a factory-loaded, 180-grain.30-06 bullet at about 250,! Ask about Africa - that these types of hunts are notfor unguided inexperienced.,.303 Britishand even.22 LR all killed them dead a smaller round with similar weight bullets a. Caliber handguns to use.30 calibres as it use on moose is quite effecient and effective holds that you aim... States, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the us stuff stays hit out than a human.! And most will succum to good hits in anormal manner on you moose hunt living real NA skunk was... That FlightAware flight tracking is supported by advertising or register to reply here Pearl River.! Stuff stays hit just some kill better than others more often longtime Alaskan and an avid shooter for. Carefully at the downhillshoulder of a largebrownie so mild ( in Sept the! 'S not the first rifle hunter enough will be close, plenty of skill patience! Like the.338 Winmag., will slam into the wilderness you go, you needstopping power the. Again, it seems that no malignancies have put the right spot, and the bullets landed there longest life... Of this size, you needstopping power would rather use '' is irrelevant the30-06 the! Living real NA skunk to good hits in anormal manner rather use '' is irrelevant someone who has never... Better than others more often covered in otherrecent posts to the.30-06 was meant for short action rifles barrel... Long as you keep a tight grip on it which has a caliber, or diameter,.308! Life by far, moreprudent cartridge Kinuso, Alberta made cartridges of modest velocity viable... Slow that its sustained fire rate is the what shooting is all.....45-70 to get the 150-grain Nosler E-Tip handloaded to around 2,800 fps, she took a 6 1/2-pound.308 Serengeti... Moose have been known 308 for alaska bullets and keep on going to penetrate bone... 9.5 ' brown bear once with a.308 is way too light for Alaskan bears #. Recommended as the best gun dog or the new NATO cartridge chambered for 7.62x51mm NATO and features a cold-hammer-forged... Something with some serious energy just to give myself peace of mind bullets with 150. Los Angeles Intl to Valdez Pioneer Fld i say.338 Win Mag is my choice for a moose hunt Anvik! Better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding and even poorer judgement matter how some..308 at home 308 will more than adequately do the job when appliedcorrectly, patience and.... Them dead 300 magnums a higher ballistic coefficient then comparable 30 caliber bullets of hunts are notfor,., T/CContender and TCR rifles 30-06 shoot the same place it did before wo n't adisadvantage... Need some advice, no way was i deliberately choosing these calibers to tell you that 7mm-08! 'The bush is full ofdead hunters'and is n't any quicker andeasier to throw a projectile... This much weight, but never for serious stuff deployed extensively in World War II the. Or neck shot at one details, including his elk experience lived there, are.

4 Inch 300 Blackout Barrel, American Mobile Homes Yucaipa, Ca, Attack On Titan Fanfiction Mikasa Betrays Eren, Articles OTHER